GROUND TURKEY CHINESE SPRING ROLLS (baked not fried)
01/21/04 01:06 PM
I started looking after reading a thread by Gretchen & Heidi..........
Not sure everyone can handle the bok choy... I guess sub what is safe for YOU.? I'm sure you could come up with your own filling and just cook them the same way.
Let me know if anyone makes them..... I'll do the same!
GROUND TURKEY CHINESE SPRING ROLLS
1 lb. Ground Turkey (I would use breast) 1 lg. clove garlic, minced 1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh ginger root 2 c. thinly sliced bok choy 1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions 2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce 1 tsp. dry sherry or rice wine 1 tsp. sesame oil 8 sheets phyllo pastry Nonstick cooking spray 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In medium nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, saute turkey, garlic and ginger 4 to 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink. Drain thoroughly.
3. In medium bowl combine turkey mixture, bok choy, onions, soy sauce, sherry and oil.
4. On clean, dry counter, layer phyllo sheets into a stack and cut into 2 (18x7 inch) rectangles. Work with one rectangle of phyllo at a time. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with a damp cloth following package instructions.)
5. Coat rectangle of phyllo with nonstick cooking spray. On counter, arrange phyllo sheet so 7 inch side is parallel to counter edge. Place 1/4 cup of turkey mixture in 5 inch strip, 1 inch away from bottom and side edges of phyllo. Fold 1 inch bottom edge of phyllo over filling and fold longer edges of phyllo toward center; roll up, jelly-roll style. Phyllo may break during rolling, but will hold filling once the roll is completed.
6. Repeat step 5 with remaining rectangles of phyllo to make remaining spring rolls. On 2 (10x15 inch) cookie sheets coated with nonstick cooking spray, place rolls, seam-side-down, and coat tops of rolls with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until all surfaces of rolls are golden brown.
7. Serve immediately with Chinese mustard, hoisin sauce and additional soy sauce, if desired. Makes 16 spring rolls.