Even though I am often sensitive to beans, onions, and tomatoes, this recipe seems to sit okay with me. And it tastes great! You can add Heather's Tummy Fiber to this too.
Tex-Mex Chicken Chili
1 lb (0.45 kg) ground chicken
1 Tbsp grapeseed oil
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp crushed dried red chilies
2 Tbsp chili powder
½ yellow onion, diced
½ red onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced
6 carrots, peeled and diced
1 portobello mushroom, diced
1 fresh tomato, diced
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 small can (150ml) tomato paste
1 can (14 oz) pinto beans
1 can (14 oz) kidney beans
1 can (14 oz) black beans
1 Tbsp corn starch
1. Defrost the ground chicken in the microwave (takes about 10 minutes).
2. On the stovetop, in a large pot, fry the oil, chicken, and spices at a high heat, using a fork to mash the meat, until it is cooked through.
3. Add the diced vegetables and continue to fry on medium heat for a few minutes.
4. Pour the beans into a strainer and rinse thoroughly.
5. Add the vinegar, tomato paste, and beans, stirring to mix ingredients.
6. Add enough filtered water to cover all ingredients. Stir and cover with a lid.
7. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
8. Remove lid and stir in corn starch, mixed with some warm water, to thicken chili.
9. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until chili reaches desired consistency.
10. Serve with corn tortilla chips or bread.
Nutrition Information (estimate):
Per serving (small bowl – recipe makes 10 servings):
6.8 g fat
7.5 g sugar
21.3 g fibre
41 g protein
346 mg sodium