I found this great recipe that I know I would enjoy. Can anyone tell me what I can use in place of the heavy cream? I'm sure there is a way to make something suitable with silken tofu in place of dairy cream.
Grilled Eggplant and Tomato Gratin
2 large ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium-size eggplants (2-1/2 pounds total), sliced 1/2 inch thick
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1-1/2 cups shredded Fontina cheese (use a soy cheese)
Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
1. Place sliced tomatoes on paper toweling; sprinkle with salt. Place paper toweling on top. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat top of tomatoes to remove as much liquid as possible.
2. Prepare outdoor grill with medium-hot coals, or heat gas grill to medium-hot, or heat oven broiler.
3. Coat eggplant on both sides with nonstick cooking spray.
4. Grill eggplant slices 6 inches from coals, or broil on baking sheet coated with cooking spray, 6 inches from heat, 5 minutes on each side or until tender.
5. Heat oven to 350°F.
6. Coat large, shallow oval baking dish (about 15 x 10 inches) with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange eggplant and tomato slices, alternating, around and slightly up sides of baking dish. Avoid overlapping too much; try to keep in single layer. Place a few down center of dish. Sprinkle with oregano, basil and garlic. Pour heavy cream* over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil.
7. Bake in 350°F oven 45 minutes, until bubbly. Remove foil. Bake 10 minutes, until cheese is golden. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*Find a tofu substitute recipe for the heavy cream
Servings Per Recipe 8 servings
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat (g) 12
Saturated Fat (g) 7
Cholesterol (mg) 44
Sodium (mg) 309
Carbohydrate (g) 12
Fiber (g) 4
Protein (g) 7
-Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff