This is a quick easy recipe, that turns out really well. I've tried to note where substitutes could be used:
2 1/2 c. flour 1 tsp baking soda 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1/2 c. butter or margarine (Or Substitute) 1 1/2 c. sugar 1 egg, beaten (Or substitute) 4 tbsp black molasses 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat Oven to 325. Spray 3-4 baking trays (I always use parchment paper, SO easy)
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, and spices in a small bowl and set aside.
3. With a mixer, cream together butter and 2/3 of the sugar (or, 1 cup of sugar).
4. Stir in the egg, molasses, and lemon juice. Add the flour mixture and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to make a soft dough.
5. Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. (I use a small cookie scoop to make them all the same size). Roll the balls in the remaining sugar and place them 2 inches apart on the tray. (Note: the rest of the sugar is 1/2 cup and you will NOT need this much. I'd say only a few tablespoons in a bowl and then add more if you need it).
6. Bake for 12 minutes, until they are just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.
They are delicious and everyone seems to like them.