Vegan Eggplant Parmesan (super simple)
03/20/05 05:47 AM
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
2 medium eggplants, unpeeled, each cut crosswise into 6 or 8 slices
3 cups tomato-based pasta sauce
1 cup soy mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp chopped, fresh parsley
1. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and basil. mix well.
2. Dip eggplant slices into bread crumbs. Turn to coat both sides.
3. Place slices on 2 large baking sheets that have been lightly coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, turn and repeat other side of egglant.
5. To assemble casserole, spoon 1 cup of pasta sauce over bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
6. Top with 1/2 eggplant slices. Spoon another cup of sauce over eggplant, followed by 1/2 soy mozzarella. Repeat layering with remianing eggplant slices, sauce and mozzarella.
7. Sprinkle parsley over top.
8. Return to oven and bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until cheese is completely melted and sauce is bubbly.