Since this takes so long, I found it convenient to let it cook overnight on a weekend and finish it up in the morning.
Slow Cooker Apple Butter From Betty Crocker New Slow Cooker Meals September 2001
12 medium Granny Smith or other cooking apples, peeled and cut into fourths 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar 1/2 cup apple juice 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon 1 tablespoon lemon juice 1 teaspoon ground allspice 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Mix all ingredients in 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours or until apples are very tender.
3. Mash apples with potato masher or large fork.
4. Cook uncovered on low heat setting 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick. Cool about 2 hours.
5. Spoon apple butter into container. Cover and store in refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
Makes 4 cups apple butter.
1 Tablespoon: Calories 30 (Calories from Fat 0); Fat 0g (Saturated 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 0mg; Carbohydrate 9 (Dietary Fiber 1); Protein 0g % Daily Value: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 2; Calcium 0%, Iron 0% Diet Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit