All Boards >> The Living Room

View all threads Posts     Flat     Threaded

Rome III criteria for IBS
      11/27/09 04:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Posts: 5499
Loc: SK, CANADA

There has been a change in the way IBS is diagnosed. I did not realize it until I read the recent article Diagnostic Testing in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Theory vs. Reality by Dr. Spiegel at UNC brought to our attention by Shawneric. Dr. Spiegel works with Dr. Drossman from UNC who is the President of the Rome Foundation . In the article he says

Quote:

Guidelines State that IBS is Not a Diagnosis of Exclusion
Despite the tendency to order diagnostic tests in the face of IBS symptoms, the diagnostic criteria for IBS, such as those supported by the Rome Committee, encourage clinicians to make a positive diagnosis on the basis of validated symptom criteria, and emphasize that IBS is not a diagnosis of exclusion despite the extensive list of other conditions that masquerade as IBS. This recommendation is based on extensive evidence that diagnostic testing is generally very low yield in patients with IBS who otherwise lack alarming signs or symptoms (e.g. blood in the bowel movements, unintended weight loss, anemia, etc). Studies show that meeting the Rome criteria for IBS nearly ensures a lack of underlying alternative conditions. Specifically, if a patient meets the criteria for having IBS, then there is a 98% chance that there is, in fact, IBS and only a 2% chance that there is some other condition lurking in the background. So, patients should ask their physicians if they "meet the Rome criteria." If they do, then there is a 98% chance that their diagnosis is, indeed, IBS not something else.




Apparently the new Rome III guidelines don't consider IBS to be a disorder determined by exclusion requiring a variety of tests including a colonoscopy if there are no alarming features. Go figure

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Entire thread
* I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/24/09 11:38 AM
* IBS & family
Gerikat
11/27/09 04:41 PM
* Re: IBS & family

11/27/09 07:29 PM
* Re: IBS & family
dragonfly
11/28/09 07:27 AM
* Re: IBS & family

11/28/09 08:43 AM
* Re: IBS & family
dragonfly
11/28/09 09:18 AM
* Re: IBS & family

11/28/09 09:24 AM
* Re: IBS & family
dragonfly
11/28/09 12:10 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
dragonfly
11/27/09 05:57 AM
* syl,dragonfly,horrible today don't know why

11/27/09 07:48 AM
* Re: syl,dragonfly,horrible today don't know why
dragonfly
11/27/09 08:12 AM
* Some thoughts about this
Windchimes
11/24/09 12:47 PM
* Re: Some thoughts about this

11/24/09 12:56 PM
* Not the same...
Windchimes
11/24/09 01:10 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
frygurl
11/24/09 11:53 AM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/24/09 11:56 AM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
frygurl
11/24/09 12:12 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/24/09 12:36 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
frygurl
11/24/09 12:57 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/24/09 01:07 PM
* I give up... you just don't get it! -nt-
Windchimes
11/24/09 01:20 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
frygurl
11/24/09 01:15 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/24/09 01:38 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
renee21
11/25/09 06:44 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
DanaDivine
11/26/09 09:19 AM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/26/09 09:49 AM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/26/09 07:03 AM
* Lemon Glazed Bread..loved it but it didn't love me.nt
dragonfly
11/27/09 05:51 AM
* Re: Lemon Glazed Bread..loved it but it didn't love me.nt

11/28/09 08:44 AM
* Re: Lemon Glazed Bread..loved it but it didn't love me.nt
dragonfly
11/28/09 09:20 AM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
renee21
11/26/09 02:35 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/26/09 02:50 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
Windchimes
11/26/09 04:21 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/26/09 06:46 PM
* Colonoscopy is a must...
Windchimes
11/26/09 07:07 PM
* Re: Colonoscopy is a must...

11/26/09 08:28 PM
* Re: Colonoscopy is a must...
Windchimes
11/28/09 06:19 PM
* Re: Colonoscopy is a must...
BarbieNJ
11/28/09 03:18 PM
* Re: Colonoscopy is a must...
Windchimes
11/28/09 03:43 PM
* Re: Colonoscopy is a must...
dragonfly
11/29/09 06:57 AM
* Re: Colonoscopy is a must...
Gerikat
11/29/09 03:31 PM
* You can't claim IBS if you have not been properly diagnosed -nt-
Windchimes
11/26/09 08:45 PM
* Re: You can't claim IBS if you have not been properly diagnosed..I totally disagree
dragonfly
11/27/09 05:44 AM
* Rome III criteria for IBS
Syl
11/27/09 04:48 AM
* Syl
Gerikat
11/27/09 06:20 AM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
Windchimes
11/24/09 12:53 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else
DanaDivine
11/26/09 09:06 PM
* Re: I feel so bad that I can't help anyone else

11/26/09 09:09 PM

Extra information
0 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 



Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29514

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

*
UBB.threads™ 6.2


McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review