All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat     Threaded

Re: Call to Ibs Veterans!
      08/05/06 09:29 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I've had random stomach problems (mostly unexplained D, pain and bloating) my whole life, but it was been most severe (i.e. debilitating) starting about three and a half years ago. although I'm quite certain I've had IBS my whole life, being able to recall various episodes when it flared for seemingly no reason, I wasn't diagnosed with IBS-D until about 2 years ago. however even before being diagnosed I was so sure I had IBS that I started H's diet and lifestyle changes probably about 6 months before that. so I've been on the diet et al for about two and a half years and I've been stable for about a year now. so yeah, it took me a year and a half to stabilize, though I did see some pretty immediate improvements (basically that I was able to stop having major D attacks after every meal! I still got D, but it was much more under control within a few weeks - i.e. 1-2 attacks a day vs. 5 or more! - while pain and bloating took much, much longer to deal with.)

I should say that yes, I did eat somewhat restrictively (but still healthfully) for that year and a half while I was stabilizing. LOTS of SF at each meal, and incorporating IF fruits and veggies back in very safely and very slowly. I was (and still am) extremely careful and diligent about everything that goes into my mouth (though being stable now I can be a bit more relaxed about it, plus most of it comes second nature now!) yes it can seem a little boring at first but a) you get used to it, and b) it's better than having 5-10 D attacks a day!

I'm at a point now, thankfully, where I don't have to think about my IBS all the time and I can tolerate a lot more fat and IF in my diet than I used to be able to, which means I can eat a much more varied diet (yay!) I've been able to add back in lots of fruits and veggies (which is fabulous) though I still stick to mostly SF grains, like basmati rice, white breads, pasta and oatmeal.

this is my general routine/what helped me stabilize:

following the diet strictly (no trigger foods, low fat, always SF first etc. - and no cheating, ever.)

acacia (1-3 tbsp a day depending on the day! most often 1 or 2tbsp)

immodium as needed (not very often)

accepting that I have IBS and not stressing about it is probably the most important thing I had to do to stabilize, and really it took me a year and half to really completely do that. after all the diet rules became second nature and the lifestyle changes were part of my life, it was really a matter of starting to think about my IBS as something that's part of me rather than something that's happening to me (if that makes sense...) once I did that I was well on my way to become stable. I also had to stop being embarassed about it and just tell friends about it without stressing, which means now that I have friends to support me and who understand why I may not be able to order anything on the menu, which is a huge stress off for me. I really think that acceptance and keeping stress (in general yes but particularly stress about IBS) is just so important.

other than that, just staying healthy - eating well/regularly, lots of water, as much sleep as I can fit in, exercise almost every day (really important for me) etc.

did I mention no cheating?! I can honestly say that I haven't had a single trigger food since starting the diet. (well ok once this year, after I'd stabilized, staying up all night madly trying to finish an essay for class I had ONE cup of caffeinated TEA... and dearly paid the price but that's it! in the whole 2.5 years) really there are so many substitutes that I hardly ever want to cheat anyway! plus I know that the pain of an attack will be worse than the enjoyment I'd get from that pizza, so it's really never worth it in my mind.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Entire thread
* Call to Ibs Veterans!
david66
08/03/06 09:37 AM
* Re: Call to Ibs Veterans!
ChristineM
08/06/06 02:48 PM
jaime g
08/06/06 08:06 AM
retrograde
08/05/06 09:29 PM
* Not an ibs veteran, but ...
Double J
08/04/06 04:38 AM
AmandaM
08/03/06 09:52 PM
* Hey there
hohoyumyum
08/03/06 08:38 PM
Nelly
08/03/06 12:31 PM
* Re: Call to Ibs Veterans! (sorry this got long)
Sommer
08/03/06 12:19 PM
* Forgot to add a couple suggestions in my original reply
Sommer
08/03/06 02:24 PM
* Yep, I can do that (long)
atomic rose
08/03/06 11:58 AM
* Not really a "veteran" but..
K2
08/03/06 10:35 AM
* Re: Call to Ibs Veterans! (warning long post)
Dajara
08/03/06 10:25 AM

Extra information
0 registered and 246 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2067

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review