View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Got a video instead
      #57040 - 04/02/04 03:52 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
I had decided to try yoga to help my IBS, especially the stress aspects of it and went to a class at the local leisure centre. I have to say, I really didn't like it. It was not at all about breathing, it was just a bunch of what I thought were really jerky movements (from what I have seen of other yoga classes) and stretches that didn't make me any sort of calm or relaxed. The classes were also fairly expensive so I purchased a video instead. I haven't tried it yet, but it says it is for relaxation so I am hoping it will be more of what I am looking for. Wish me luck!
One question, I find that I get terrible D attacks after I do any stomach exercises. I used to do a lot of situps and started to notice them making my stomach cramp up really badly while I was on the toilet, and having particularly bad D. Is it just in my head or is there a reason why doing stomach muscle exercises are giving me so much grief?
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Got a video instead new
      #59607 - 04/09/04 11:56 AM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

I'm sorry to hear that your class was not what you were looking for. I have heard that from a lot of people actually that the class they went to was not exactly calming and nurturing but fast and strenuous. Also there are a number of types of yoga classes, some harder than others. I go to a class at my gym that I absolutely adore and a lot of it has to do with the fact that the instructor is exactly what I was looking for. We have had substitutes that were very stern and into getting the most out of 60 minutes but yoga is very personal and you should go at your own pace.

I haven't been able to get to my class for the last few weeks for fear of having an attack in the middle of it with my ibs getting a bit out of control lately. I' be interested in hearing how you liked your tape and what the name of it was. I'm looking to buy a tape so I can continue until I get back to the gym. Everything is about the breath and coming into your personal space for meditation(atleast this is what i have gotten).

I'm don't know of a correlation between doing situps and having a d attack but know that i too have problems if i do a lot of situps with stomach pain that eventually results in d. For me though it has to do with me thinking I'm going to have an attack because my stomach is cramping and then having one because i am so worried about it.

Re: Got a video instead new
      #65383 - 04/27/04 04:49 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Kelly - sorry the yoga class wasn't what you were hoping for. They're all different and the classes aimed towards people losing weight, etc usually aren't as good for IBSers. Also, it really depends big-time on what the teacher is like and how good they are. Practising at home is good idea, but maybe try a different class (Hatha, as opposed to Ashtanga (sp?), is more relaxed I think) as a decent teacher's input is very helpful.

Doing stomach exercises kinda massages your tummy, which is great if you're C, but can get things going a bit too well with D. If you find a particular pose in yoga aggravates your D, then just don't do it.

Megs - I've got Cyndi Lee's OM Yoga in a Box CD for beginners and I love it. She does breathing and chanting OMs and I find the CDs really relaxing - she's so funny and laid back!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review