All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to yoga - question!
      #40128 - 01/23/04 01:22 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I'm planning to sign up for a yoga class that starts next month, but I'm a little but concerned about it. I'm really looking forward to it, but I'm one of the most unflexible people I've ever met. I can barely lean over and touch my toes! Can people like me do yoga?? I tried a video once, and they were contorting themselves into all types of positions my body could never go into! I just don't want to pay for the class and get there and be disappointed. Is there anyone else out there like me who has been able to benefit from it?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to yoga - question! new
      #40143 - 01/23/04 02:47 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Hey Kree...I am also new to yoga...however the class I went to allowed everyone to work at different levels and the instructor told us not to overdue it or strain ourselves and she showed us different "levels" of excercises/poses. Also, after a few classes I believe they get easier.
Hope this helps...perhaps someone else can give you a better insight.

#40146 - 01/23/04 03:13 PM
Kree

Thanks so much for your response, Mickeymouse! That actually makes me feel a lot better. I guess those yoga shows on tv aren't very accurate. As long as they don't expect me to do things like that off the bat I should be fine. So did you enjoy your first class? I hope it goes well for you! Thanks again!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#40154 - 01/23/04 03:34 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

I also tried a yoga video and found it alot harder than the class (guess I have to work my way up to that)...I really enjoyed the class I took, it was relaxing and made me feel great. I'm sure you will like it (if you have a good instructor). Have fun!

#40177 - 01/23/04 05:18 PM
Kree

Thanks! I'm sure I will!

--------------------

#40340 - 01/24/04 07:31 AM
evie

Reged: 11/22/03

I'm no expert, Kree. I've never taken a class, but I've benefitted from practicing yoga, and if I'm not mistaken, the whole point of yoga is to become more flexible and your muscles more relaxed as you're learning. You're almost expected to be inflexible when you start out. I'm sure all instuctors cater to that. The purpose should be that as you "unsuccessfully" contort your body into a pose you let your breath continue to flow, allowing your muscles to lengthen. Next time you try the pose you'll find that it's easier and less painful. Hope that makes sense.

*evie

#40670 - 01/25/04 12:39 PM
Kree

It does, and thanks for the encouragement! I'm definitely going to give the class a try.

--------------------

New to yoga - ANSWER new
      #41465 - 01/28/04 08:57 AM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hey Kree,

Yoga Teacher here... lots of people get a little intimidated when starting yoga but the good news is you DO NOT have to be flexible to start yoga, in fact... we often come to you to become more flexible, to open the body and most importantly to go at your own pace. A good teacher will encourage you to take care of yourself and to practice at your own level of ability. The postures themselves are not the most important part of the practice. Staying present, quieting the mind, following your breath, connecting to your own inner wisom, etc. That is the bigger picture. If the first class/teacher doesn't do it for you, keep trying till you find someone you connect with.

Hope this helps. Peace,
K

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Re: New to yoga - ANSWER new
      #41968 - 01/29/04 08:28 PM
Kree

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I'm really excited about starting this, and that makes me feel a lot better. The teacher I'll be taking classes with looks like she'll be really good, but I'll keep your advice in mind and make sure I find a good fit. Thanks again! Namaste (see, I know the lingo, lol)!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review