All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yoga is for everyone
      #326561 - 03/14/08 03:31 AM
SayNotoGutRot

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: CANADA

There are many different types of yoga, something for everyone, from gentle stretches to yoga that makes you sweat.
I have found yoga to be almost a necessity of life. It forces me to calm down which is very hard for me. I carry my stress in my gut and literally forget to breath when under stress. I often feel my bowels contract when feeling stressed. Yoga is all about slowing down and remembering to breath. It is the one complete exercise because it exercises our physical bodies, but also our mental and spiritual aspects.
If you have pain while doing yoga, you are in the wrong type of yoga. Try Hatha, that's what I do when I'm in bad shape and then I like Bikram when I'm strong.

--------------------
Eating right is the first medicine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga is for everyone *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #326893 - 03/20/08 10:43 AM
PickyPenelope

Reged: 02/04/08

Post deleted by PickyPenelope

Re: Yoga is for everyone new
      #330587 - 06/04/08 03:51 AM
mari_spain

Reged: 06/04/08
Loc: Spain

I was really thinking of starting yoga, for my anxiety, IBS and back pains... What kind of yoga should I try? I mean, I haven't been sporting much so I am not on top form... and courses are really expensive here so I want to make sure I am choosing a good one for me.
Thanks!

#331609 - 06/26/08 11:46 AM
Cparkinson

Reged: 06/26/08

Quote:

There are many different types of yoga, something for everyone, from gentle stretches to yoga that makes you sweat.
I have found yoga to be almost a necessity of life. It forces me to calm down which is very hard for me. I carry my stress in my gut and literally forget to breath when under stress. I often feel my bowels contract when feeling stressed. Yoga is all about slowing down and remembering to breath. It is the one complete exercise because it exercises our physical bodies, but also our mental and spiritual aspects.
If you have pain while doing yoga, you are in the wrong type of yoga. Try Hatha, that's what I do when I'm in bad shape and then I like Bikram when I'm strong.

hello everyone,
I too carry alot of stress in my gut, creating more troubles later on. Thank you for your tips and I am keen to try Hatha yoga soon. I have just been doing pilates for a few months to try and get more limber, then I want to try it out.

Do you think yoga can be good for weight loss too? Or is it just the "hot yoga" that will do that? Thanks.

yoga teacher training

#332617 - 07/16/08 10:21 PM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

I agree. I've been practicing yoga for a few years now and find it is beneficial to have someone teach you the basics. After that you can get by using the internet to find videos on poses to help you do them correct. At least that is what I did when I found Heather's list of poses. I find it very important to at least do yoga a few times a week to keep my back from hurting and me relaxed. Since I fell ill recently I wasn't able to do much, now I'm back and just starting off slow at 15-20mins of gently doing some poses has helped me tremendously... and it's great to calm my mind for prayer time and reading the Word. I would recommend it to everyone - just the fact you take 5 mins to stop and breath deeps seems to do so much to help the body relax for the rest of the day.

Can an older woman (me) do yoga?Re: Yoga is for everyone new
      #332980 - 07/22/08 09:01 AM
Joaniebird

Reged: 09/30/06
Loc: Connecticut

I would like to try yoga, but I have a back that can go out if I'm not careful. I heard that yoga can strengthen the back, but I want to take yoga first and learn how to do it. I would just start with some of Heather's poses, but I don't really know which ones are good for beginners. What do you think?

--------------------
Joaniebird

Re: Can an older woman (me) do yoga?Re: Yoga is for everyone new
      #333752 - 08/01/08 10:00 AM
giveluv2all

Reged: 07/11/08
Loc: Nj

If you have any sort of bodily ailment (I have a bad back and knee) I would highly recommend going to a yoga instructor with more than just RYT after their name. Maybe someplace within a wellness center or that has been around for more than a couple of years. How you hold the movements, how far and little adjustments can make a big difference in your outcome. You can start on the breathing excercises now along with beginner poses: Bound angle, cat and cow, child, corpse, mountain, cross legged, wind relieving - possibly and head to knee and hero, reclining hand to toe(b), and reclining bound angle. Any of these I would do slow, gental and for a few breaths.
I'm not an instructor but have been doing yoga for a few years now. Hope this helps.

#333758 - 08/01/08 10:16 AM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

The only yoga classes taught in our area are during the daytime, when I'm at work. I've watched Peggy Cappy on PBS..."Yoga for the Rest of Us"...etc, adn noticed on Amazon she had a DVD called "Yoga for the Rest of Us: Back Care Basics". Since I have had scoliosis since birth - you can't tell to look at me (with my clothes on )but, still have pain and also have been dignosed with degenerative disc disease and other disc problems, so don't you think this DVD would be OK to try???? I'm trying to regain some flexibility after years of multiple injuries/trauma.... So, I want to be extra cautious. I also see a chriopractor and a massage therapist (when I can work it in)....

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#334124 - 08/06/08 02:29 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hi GaGa,

I think that the Peggy Cappy DVD would be a nice supplement for you to use. She is a wonderful teacher and very mindful about her instruction. I would also suggest however, if you can, try to find a gentle yoga class with certified teacher that you like. DVDs are a nice tool but nothing can replace the hands on guidance of a qualified teacher to make sure that you are doing things in a safe way.

Please let me know how things work out for you.

Peace,

KK

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#334145 - 08/06/08 06:06 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Love the quote - my friend uses it in her signature at school all the time....
" "You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi
Thank you for taking time to give me advice. My only problem is that locally they only teach yoga classes during the day time... when I'm working... But, I'll start with the DVD and maybe something will turn up this year. Just like I'd also love to take Tai Chi - I need to rebuild flexibility and stability in my body...
Blessings! - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19482

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review