All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soreness
      #312004 - 07/26/07 06:41 AM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

So I've tried to be consistent about doing Yoga. I'm following a tv series on fit tv...or trying to, but I find that my arms get really sore/achy. Is this common? I'm super inflexible, so I find a lot of moves difficult. I try to just relax and follow along.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soreness new
      #312007 - 07/26/07 07:14 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

What type of pain is it? Is it muscle pain of the type you get doing any type of muscle training like weight lifting or unusual moves et.c.? Or is it another type of pain?

I tend to get muscle aches if I have done a fitness or power yoga routine. This type of yoga is designed to work the muscles and it usually has a flow. But calmer slower forms of yoga can also give me muscle pain sometimes, particularly if I haven't done yoga for a while. This should get better over time as your body adjusts to the routine.

Although regular muscle ache isn't dangerous it's always a good idea to take it easy and not push yourself when you are in pain. If you are doing yoga daily now maybe you could try to not do too strenuous programs. Maybe you could do an easier/shorter program every other day if you still want to do yoga daily? Or focus more on breathing and relaxing and less on the physical moves every other day?

Hope that helps. Maybe more people will give you advice. I want to make it clear that I am not an expert on this.

/Ulrika

#312008 - 07/26/07 07:25 AM
rlhilliard

it's muscle pain in the arms. My arms hurt in such a way it is hard to even relax my arms on my chest if laying down. Or on an arm rest of some sort.

I'm pretty sure it was from yoga. I was doing shoulder and hips...something like that a couple days. Then I quit in the middle of one session when they wanted me to do this backward push-up type one (sorry, name of pose escapes me).

I find doing about a 20 min session is good for me...right now. I don't know if that is not enough or not. But doing 45-hour is hard!

I want to build up and be more relaxed in general though.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#312009 - 07/26/07 07:31 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Ok. Maybe someone with more experience can give you more advice. But if you feel 20 minutes or so is ok for you now then I think you should keep your programs to that length. If you want to follow this tv yoga routine then maybe you could do the stuff that works for you and lie down and rest for the rest of the time?

/Ulrika

#312575 - 08/04/07 03:16 PM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

Make sure that you do the cool down and meditation at the end. This is to help you strech out your worked muscles more so you won't be so sore and to relax your mind. I find it to be the most enjoyable part. It is also possiable that you need to find a beginner program. You can go to Livingarts.com to buy some dvds. Some I have ejoyed is Yoga for beginners- Am, pm, stress relief (the pm program being my favorite). And Am & pm stretch. Both of these are nice and suited for beginers. They are about 20-30 minutes each. Of course you can run them together when you build up more strength. Hope this is a help.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#312660 - 08/06/07 03:20 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

I agree with Melanie...you should start with a yoga for beginners. It is much more gentler than what you are talking about and usually they explain how to do the moves as you are doing it. You may have overextended or went too fast.

I started with Suzanne Deason (www.gaiam.com) with "Yoga conditioning for weight loss". I like Suzanne because she has women working with her doing modifications in case you are not able to do the full stretch. Plus she is very gentle.

Good luck,

Carol

thanks all new
      #312916 - 08/09/07 10:25 AM
rlhilliard

Thanks for the tips! I haven't been doing the yoga lately. I'm thinking about taking a local class instead of trying to do it on TV. It's hard to follow at times.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14588

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review