Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Beginner yoga`
      #306801 - 05/08/07 10:13 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

I've only done Yoga a few times sporatically over the past several years, but I always enjoyed it. However, I was never in the situation to make it a regular thing. Since so many people with IBS seem to benefit, I've decided to give it a more committed shot. There a yoga studio right down the street from me, so I'm going to try their beginner class tonight. Just wondering if anyone has any advice for a beginner? And should I ask specific questions related to my IBS (like about positions and how they will make me feel)? I'm planning on getting there 5-10 minutes early to talk to the instructor. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Oh, and I'm IBS-D, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerrant, hemorrhoids

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beginner yoga` new
      #306996 - 05/10/07 04:29 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi Julie,

I am IBS-C and have been doing yoga regularly now for about 2 months. I'm basically a beginner as well because I've done it on and off for awhile, but never regularly. I really love it!!! It has helped me tremendously and it aids in digestion. For me since I am C it helps my system to move better. Also, I've noticed that it greatly reduces menstrual cramps.

I don't have a yoga studio close by so I've been using DVD's that I've accumulated. They also provide good tips for you. They say never to push yourself to the full extent of the stretch if you are not ready...but instead to listen to your body's limitations and do what you can. As time goes on and you become more flexible, you can go deeper into your stretches. I like the DVD's because they provide modifications to the full stretch for beginners like us. Also they say if you are menstruating, not to do inverted stretches.

Well, I know this is a couple of days too late, but I hope your class went well for you.

Carol

#307393 - 05/16/07 06:22 AM
caputsky

Hi Carol,

Thanks for the reply and tips! I was so excited when I found the studio right near by. I went to my second class last night and it was great. I even bought a six class pass because I enjoyed it so much. The whole time I did not even think about my stomach What a great way to relieve stress. I also think it helped with my gas, which is one of my worst symptoms now. I noticed there are different types of yoga...what type do you typically do?

Julie

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

#307585 - 05/19/07 09:26 AM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Sometimes I do hatha yoga or even pilates at times. When I want a refreshing workout after a rough day, I'll stick to the yoga, but if I want some cardio I'll do pilates. I'd like to expand as time goes on and try different yogas, but for now this suits me fine.

I'm glad you enjoyed your class and I hope you find continues success with it.

Carol

#309317 - 06/18/07 12:40 PM
rlhilliard

Reged: 08/05/05
Loc: Racine, WI

ooo...I can glean from this information. I'm going to do yoga. I'm picking up a book/dvd tonight.

--------------------
yep, it's me,
Rebecca

#311007 - 07/11/07 09:27 PM
YogaTeacher

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Hello,

I'm just wondering how you are enjoying your yoga practice? Are you keeping up with it? Let me know!

Peace,

KK

--------------------
"You have to be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

#311044 - 07/12/07 10:19 AM
caputsky

Hi,

I'm really enjoying learning and trying yoga! I started with a beginner class which was great in giving me the basics. I recently decided to try a few more challenging classes, which has been interesting. I am doing an intermediate hatha yoga class, which is great and I love how it flows. Also, I tried a ashtanga yoga class last week, and it kicked my butt!! But I loved it, and I'm determined to stick with it no matter what. It certainly seems to help with my stress level, and I always feel relaxed and loose afterwards. I'm hoping that my flexibility will get better also. Are there any suggestions you have for increasing flexibility? Any other tips would be great!

Julie

--------------------

Re: Beginner yoga`DVD recommendations? IBS-C new
      #312961 - 08/09/07 07:46 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Does anyone have any beginner DVD yoga recommendations? I have IBS c, bladder pressure, bloat, discomfort

#314684 - 09/06/07 05:39 PM
Pami

Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: New Jersey

anyone know if I can do yoga with a total hip replacement? I am assuming that I can with limitations. I'm also overweight and am hoping the yoga will not only help my IBS but also help tone and become more flexible.

--------------------
septic hip with birth of daughter - 7/99
hip replacement - 9/03
MS limbo since 5/04
dx IBS
dx compressed L7-8 and T4-5
dx RLS

#316709 - 10/15/07 03:43 PM
Stuart Welwood

Reged: 10/15/07
Loc: Boulder, CO

Pami,

The general advice to "talk to your doctor first" is probably the best advice that anyone can give you for your specific situation. Once you get the "go ahead" from the doc, then it might be wise to look for a yoga instructor who is also a physical therapist. If you can't locate one in your area, then the next best thing might be to visit a PT to get some guidelines before starting.

Best of health to you,

Stuart

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22981

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review