All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yoga - help in increasing appetite?
      #270079 - 06/18/06 04:05 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Has anyone found that doing yoga can successfully (& consistently) help you maintain or increase your appetite?

I really need to keep eating to keep my weight up - I'm getting pretty tiny - but I continue to rarely feel HUNGRY. My funky phobia over throwing up/getting stomach flu means that if I'm not hungy, I don't dare eat ("what if lack of appetite means I'm getting sick??"...).

Just wondering if yoga has helped anyone with this. I still haven't gotten myself to the point where I'm eating consistently & well for IBS, nor have I started yoga for some reason. I'm dragging my feet. Looking for something that might get me going on this...

~ E.

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga - help in increasing appetite? new
      #270241 - 06/20/06 12:46 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Well, if you're not doing anything else to manage stress and anxiety, I think yoga would help. I would think that the hypno program would be even better - it certainly helped me feel less out of control and panicky about my belly and its rumblings.

I think the key here is your anxiety, and not your appetite. Not that it wouldn't hurt to scan the IBS Recipes board and find something that makes your mouth water , but it's the anxiety that's keeping you from eating. I know, because I spent too many damn years worrying about the stomach flu (and the few times I actually got it and threw up, I thought "that's what I was worried about? that's way easier than being nauseated and worried all the time!"). I can't say that I'm totally relaxed about it now, but I'm way better than I used to be. Some of that is not eating trigger foods, but a lot is the hypno.

--AC

#270580 - 06/22/06 02:36 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Any regular physical exercise will speed up your metabolism and increase your appetite. I don't see why that wouldn't include yoga.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#270875 - 06/25/06 06:51 AM
Becca LG

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Yoga actually doesn't increase my appetite at all... not sure why that is. Its great excersize though, and awesome for getting in shape, mentally relaxing, getting a hold of your thoughts, and understanding your body.

Swimming, on the other hand, always leaves me STARVING at the end. I'm not sure if its the chlorine or work, but if you can swim, try doing a few laps and see if that perks up the appetite a little bit.

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#271745 - 06/30/06 03:56 AM
Memmles

Thanks so much for all of your input, opinions, and info!

~ E.

--------------------

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Re: lack of appetite new
      #272043 - 07/01/06 05:26 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Random thought/question: have you had your thyroid checked? I am very small as well (5'4", barely 100 lbs), and used to not eat very much at all. Turns out I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, a form of autoimmune hypothyroidism. Now that it's being treated, my metabolism has been kicked up and I actually have an appetite now! Hasn't really helped me gain any weight, I'm still working on that, but I am eating more now that I used to!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: lack of appetite new
      #272048 - 07/01/06 05:55 PM
Memmles

Hey,

Yeah, I'm almost positive that my thyroid function was one of the first things we checked for when I first started complaining to the Dr. about lack of appetite.

I've had gads of blood tests. I know that we did a thyroid test among all the other tests, but I don't know how in-depth. If the disorder you have can be detected by the basic thyroid test (blood test), then I feel good to go.

I'm going to log on to my med records (I can access them online) & see for sure though. You got me thinking...

Thanks for the suggestion!

~ E.

--------------------

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13564

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review