All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
yoga with bad knees.....
      #266663 - 05/31/06 11:13 AM
qultr

Reged: 05/31/06
Loc: Central Kansa

Are there some good beginning yoga exersizes that I can do that don't involve kneeling, or crossing my knees, they are very sore, and limited movement....however, I push myself to walk 1-2 miles a day, but would like to incorporate some yoga moves, for slimming and stretching a bit.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: yoga with bad knees..... new
      #267191 - 06/02/06 10:04 AM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

http://yoga.com/store/category.asp?Category_ID=223

This site has different yoga DVDs and they have videos available also. I'd try finding a very basic yoga video and following along with what you are able to do. You shouldn't ever push yourself with yoga. Just do what your body is comfortable with.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#267429 - 06/03/06 01:55 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

At the end of this article are seven ways to protect your knees during yoga. You might find it helpful. Definitely find a beginner tape. Just do what you can.

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/1161_1.cfm

#273570 - 07/11/06 02:22 PM
Arjunaweeping

Reged: 07/11/06

At the risk of repeating myself, you're far better to ask a yoga teacher for a personal practice than try to suss it out for yourself. That's why we yoga teachers go through training programs, to learn how to sequence postures properly to avoid doing harm to the student. Depending what's wrong with your knees a good yoga teacher/therapist could help you rehabilitate them completely.

Cheers,

Scott

www.exploreyoga.co.uk

#273788 - 07/12/06 09:28 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I'd look around at different postures and try a few that look ok... if they don't feel right, don't do them again. If it feels good, then keep at it. You are your best teacher when it comes to your own limits (Although Scott is right that a real instructor would be able to tell you which postures are probably best for what you want to do)

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#280752 - 09/03/06 12:41 PM
aandf7388

Reged: 09/02/06
Loc: NH

Try both a standing forward bend and a sitting forward bend. This should feel okay as long as you aren't locking you knees and you will still benefit from the stretch in the back of the legs as well as in the theighs and quads. Also, you may want to try some inversions such as legs up against a wall, shoulder stand or headstand (depending on how advanced in your practice you are) because most do not involve working the knees in the posture. Always remember to focus on your breath and if something doesnt feel right dont do it! hope I could help!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15593

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review