All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Beginners Tape?
      #258019 - 04/13/06 10:20 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok Girls, so I've decided to try yoga! My RA has attacked my chest and makes breathing difficult sometimes which makes me using my elliptical trainer impossible most days. I stretch most everyday right now but I'm looking to strengthen and add more flexibility and hopefully lose a little weight while I'm at it! Do I need the blocks and straps or just a beginners tape and mat? Any suggestions??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beginners Tape? new
      #258130 - 04/13/06 08:50 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

I think I skipped out on blocks completely when I started, and probably straps too... but I was jumping into everything fast

Straps are good if you can't reach your toes with your legs straight, can't clasp your hands behind your back (either straight behind or with one arm reaching up and back and the other reaching down and back), or ... can't think of anything else at the moment. Some people need a strap for years, others never need it. You could always try a towel first (or maybe a fabric belt?) and see if that helps before buying a strap.

Blocks are useful if you want gentle back bend/stretches so you can place it under your back, or instead of doing a shoulder stand you can have your back on the floor, legs in the air, and lower back on the block to make it more of an inversion. They are also good for things like side angle or triangle when you're supposed to have your hands on the floor but you can't reach. For the side angle types of things, I tend to support myself on my leg instead of the ground. You can try out the postures and if you are having problems because of not being able to touch the floor and you want more support for your back or sides, then you can get a block. You might be able to use a book for some of these... I haven't tried replacements.

You will need a tape and a mat though! And a nice hard floor to practice on.

Great decision to try out yoga! Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#258256 - 04/14/06 08:15 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Just the tape and the mat is all you really need. I have a beginning Kripalu (very gentle) yoga tape that I don't use anymore. If you have a VCR to use it, I can send it to you. You can e-mail me your addy through my profile if you want me to send it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#258504 - 04/17/06 09:42 AM
michele

Thanks Girls! I ordered a Rodney Yee beginners tape, the slow burn. I also ordered two mats, one for me and one for hubby! I'll let you know how it goes once I get the tape!!

--------------------

I want a tape too! new
      #258563 - 04/17/06 06:48 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How did you decide on this one? Where did you order it from, Michele?

I really want to step up the yoga. I hope you enjoy it!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: I want a tape too! new
      #258669 - 04/18/06 08:26 AM
michele

Here's the link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A4T80O/102-1773997-6047345?v=glance&n=130

I ordered this particular one because it concentrates on slow movements and repitions and with my RA, I can't move fast or change positions quickly. I have a patient who is a personal trainer, wish I could afford her , but she suggested this guy Rodney Yee and then another one of my patients said she really like his tapes so I figured it was a good place to begin. I ordered the tape and an extra thick matt and I have a hard time sitting on the hard floor! I'll let you know what I think of it, I hope to have it later this week.

--------------------

Re: I want a tape too! new
      #266523 - 05/30/06 07:03 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

He has a marvelous book out too. Poetry of the Body. It's relaxing just to read.

#272070 - 07/01/06 09:41 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I like the Yoga Zone tapes.

How is the yoga going for you?

Michele ... did you get your tape? new
      #277534 - 08/07/06 04:29 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

And how do you like it? I'd like to find one that my wife and I could do together, but can't make up my mind which one... I am interested in what you have found out.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Michele ... did you get your tape? new
      #277586 - 08/08/06 07:04 AM
michele

I got the Rodney Yee tape but I'm embarrassed to say, I haven't even opened it! I just haven't felt well but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to give a full review!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 15 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26877

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review