All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Yoga accessories
      #156477 - 03/03/05 11:17 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

For those of you who do yoga either at home or at a class, what extra accessories do you use?

Do home videos require mats, balls, straps, etc?

What about at classes?

Do you guys wear those special yoga pants and clothes too!

Any suggestions on a good tape? It seems like a lot of you you use Cindy something's yoga in a box! Is that good for IBS? I wish Heather's was available. I've been sort of holding off buying one until hers was available. But I would like to start soon.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yoga accessories new
      #156551 - 03/03/05 01:37 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

All yoga is good for IBS! And Cyndi Lee's OM Yoga in a Box for beginners is great for beginners with IBS, especially as you can mix the sections...so if you don't want to do standing poses or something, then that's fine.

You don't need to buy anything special when starting yoga. You do need a flooring that you won't slip on easily, which is why a mat is helpful. But a belt does fine as a strap, a cushion as a block and yoga doesn't use balls (that's pilates).

The special clothes are NOT needed. I still don't own any...tho I wish I did. Just wear comfortable clothes that you can stretch easily in.

Re: Yoga accessories new
      #156571 - 03/03/05 02:00 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

For those of you who do yoga either at home or at a class, what extra accessories do you use?
I just have a mat.. you can find them at lots of stores these days.... Target, K-Mart, Big-5, Mervin's, Gart, Sports Athourity, Fred Meyer and any local Yoga studio will have them for sale too. You can get them about $15-20.

Do home videos require mats, balls, straps, etc?

What about at classes?

Do you guys wear those special yoga pants and clothes too! I just wear my workout pants & shirt...and bare feet, better traction!

Any suggestions on a good tape? It seems like a lot of you you use Cindy something's yoga in a box! Is that good for IBS? I wish Heather's was available. I've been sort of holding off buying one until hers was available. But I would like to start soon.

Thanks

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Oops, new
      #157472 - 03/06/05 10:19 AM
Augie

no balls in yoga? I have my excercises mixed up here. Thanks for all the info Linz and Shell.

--------------------
~ Beth

I'm a minimalist yoga-er new
      #157473 - 03/06/05 10:20 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I did finally spend the money on a mat because it really does help to keep you from sliding all over the place when you're doing poses and transitioning between poses. Not that a mat costs much (mine was $11) but still, I think that's the only piece of special equipment I've ever bought for exercising, heh.

The OM kit comes with a strap, which is handy for helping with poses if you feel not-quite-so-flexible. I haven't needed to use it yet, though, so I can't really give ya input on whether or not it's worth having.

I know some people like a cushion for the seated poses... I just use a throw pillow.

As for the clothes, I do have a pair of yoga pants, but I hardly ever end up wearing them for yoga! Heh. Any comfortable pants that don't bind and allow for stretching and flexibility should be just fine. A bra that doesn't shift around/ride up/pinch is actually more important, in my opinion, so I bought a cheapo sports bra from walmart (the pullover kind with no hooks or anything).

I like the OM yoga in a box kit, and I think it would work well for you if it has the same effect on you that it does on me - it "gets things moving", LOL! However, it's NOT a tape. It's audio CDs with flashcards. If you think that might be too distracting, you might better go with something else. Personally, I like it - I find watching a tape to be more distracting than listening to someone's voice.

And as usual, I rambled. Hope some of that was helpful!

Question on this kit new
      #157569 - 03/06/05 07:22 PM
Augie

If it's not a video, is the CD music in the background and a lady telling you what to do? Do you lay the cards all out in front of you? Isn't it hard to keep stopping to switch cards? I never heard of doing yoga with a Cd instead of a tape.

I am new to yoga and I am not familiar with any pose names. Would that be a problem? Or do you memorize the cards before you start the program? How do you figure out what the pose is without a live person doing it?

Can I ask anymore questions than I already have?

Yes, Casey, if these tapes can give me the same effect they give you, I would be soooo happy!!! You can still do this yoga though? You must since you went and bought a mat. And believe me, I know 11 bucks is a lot when you don't have 2 cents to your name! Personal experience, unfortunately!

--------------------
~ Beth

Yoga Kit.... new
      #157617 - 03/06/05 11:53 PM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

..just to say that the CD/flashcards work much better than a video/DVD, as you can move the flashcards to where you want them, instead of straining around to see the TV! There is music on in the background, the intermediates box even includes a "music only" CD, which is groovy and I have it in my car!!

Re: Yoga Kit.... stupid question ... new
      #157978 - 03/07/05 05:57 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

... but where do you buy this yoga kit and how much does it cost? Would it be available in bookshops or do I have to look for it on the net?

It sounds like yoga could be very good for IBS, but when I went to a class some years ago (before my IBS got bad), it just made me feel depressed! I know that sounds strange, but it was as if the poses released something in me, something bad - but maybe it was good for it to be released?

Anyway that was years ago and I am a different person now! So I want to give it another go and this kit sounds more user-friendly than a video, so more info would be welcome.

Josephine

Josephine new
      #158081 - 03/08/05 01:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I got mine off the web...I'll find the site when I get home if you want.

I'd try a class again...yoga releases a lot of tension (like a massage) and if you've been storing up lots of bad stuff, then that can make you feel blue or weepy. I get like that occasionally. But if you continue you'll feel good!

Re: Josephine new
      #158088 - 03/08/05 02:10 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Thanks Linz - if you have it easily to hand, that would be great, but if not, don't worry, I'll add it to my list of things-I-must-look-up-on-the-net. (It's quite a long list.)

You are probably right about yoga causing tension to be released, it wasn't a good time when I tried it before. Life is much better now!

So did you go to classes before you tried this kit - I mean you weren't a beginner? I suppose some personal instruction is always a good idea anyway, but I would like to try at home using the kit first if possible.

Josephine

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 48328

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review