All Boards >> Yoga for IBS & Digestive Health Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Strange question for anyone out there!
      #1387 - 02/24/03 11:53 PM
emmab

Reged: 01/25/03

Hi everyone,

During my yoga class last night my teacher got us to do salute to the sun about 5 times...I really like this sequence but have difficulty bringing my legs forward between my hands (really stiff gluts). After the sequence was over I noticed I had no feeling in my thighs, my lower legs and backs of my thighs were fine, it was just the fronts. Its been about 24 hours now since the class and I still don't have full feeling back (most, but not all). I spoke to my teacher and she had no idea what the problem might be.

I sometimes used to get tingling in my feet when my stomach was really bloated, fortunately not anymore. But I had a really bad stomach day yesterday and didn't know if this might have been the problem.

Has anyone ever experienced this or anything like it??? My sister has been doing yoga for 8 years and hasn't ever had a problem like this so I thought I'd throw the question out there and see if it might be gut related.

Tingly and slightly concerned....

Emma

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strange question for anyone out there! new
      #1401 - 02/25/03 08:31 AM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

Numbness and tingling often mean pinched nerves in the back. Have you had any back pain before or after your yoga? If you see a chiropactor, you might want to make an appointment. If you don't, ask around and see if your friends recommend one. Or give your MD a call. I have worked for a chiropractor for years so I really believe in it. Good luck, and what ever you do, keep us updated so we know what's going on.

#1419 - 02/25/03 12:27 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

An osteopath would be another choice. Think, MD + chiropractor in one (I'm simplifying, but you get the point). I grew up in a town with an osteopathic medical school and didn't see an MD till college. So you could look for a DO, especially one who specializes in manipulation.

#1438 - 02/25/03 11:42 PM
emmab

Hi and thanks for your answers!

I didn't have any back pain before, during or after the class (my yoga teacher did mention that it might be a pinched nerve) but didn't think much of it because I assumed the feeling would come back quickly. But I have had a few back episodes of back pain (mainly when overdoing it at field work).

The feeling hasn't come back yet an it has almost been two days now so I think I will take up your advise and see a chiro or an osteopath (whichever I can see first). It's a bit worrying really! I'm supposed to go to yoga again tommorow (pre-paid classes) but I think I'll see how I go.

Thanks again....and I will keep you posted.

Emma

#1617 - 02/28/03 01:40 AM
emmab

Hi there,

just to let you know I've been to see a physiotherapist who told me I've probaly pulled some ligaments in my lower back (very long name, can't remember).....and apparently the area around there directs blood flow to the thigh fronts and sides (there you go, learn something new everyday).

So I've got some exercises to do and am getting the feeling back Yay!!! Unfortunatley found out I damaged a disk in my back last time I was in Alaska

Another interesting thing she said is that your lumbar are linked to blood flow etc to the stomach (maybe you all knew that, I didn't) and that back problems can cause stomach issues and vice versa...like really back D and cramps can cause lower back pain. It's all connected isn't it!!

I think maybe if I can do something about my muscle tension I'll go a long way to bettering my IBS....and in the meantime I'm going to take it a bit easier in my Yoga classes

Thanks for your advice, Emma

#1676 - 02/28/03 05:51 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

glad you found the answer to your mystery! Hope your feeling better soon!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11676

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review