All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Great Oprah show
      #363263 - 02/01/11 01:39 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Oprah had an entire show devoted to veganism today. Michael Pollan and Kathy Freston were on. Both have great books out there. The piece on the slaughter, brought to us by Cargill, was a bit disturbing, but limited in what was shown. And I am sure, edited and controlled, to only show us what they want us to see. After all, they knew the cameras were coming. The strange thing about the slaughter piece was Lisa Ling's expression. She had this strange grin on her face like she was enjoying watching this horror. I usually like her reporting, but not so this time.

But beyond that maybe 3 minutes of gruesome, it was a very informative show. Oprah's staff went vegan for a week, and it was interesting to watch.

I read Kathy's first book and it was great. She now has a new book out called Veganist, if anyone on this board is interested.

Something else that did bother me was when Kathy started to go into the suffering of the animals, and Oprah cut her off and said, but they don't suffer. I was a bit disappointed in Oprah at that point. Come on Oprah, do you really think Cargill is going to show the animals that make it through the knockers/stunners alive, and are alive when slaughtered? For a smart woman, how gullible can you be? She REALLY needs to look a little further below the surface. But maybe she is seeing what she needs to see and hearing what she needs to hear, to continue to eat meat.

I hope some other non-meat eaters caught the show and can share what they thought of it. If you missed it, I think you can catch it tonight at 9pm on whatever channel Oprah is on in your area.

Would love to hear from some of the other vegans/vegetarians that caught the show.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Great Oprah show new
      #363338 - 02/05/11 05:30 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I should think that Oprah wants to be careful after the thing with the beef industry. She is powerful but that was a fiasco. I am surprised she would go as far as she did. The laws in that respect are so crazy. I assume you have seen Food Inc with the woman whose son died from beef and she cannot say what they eat or video her shopping or anything in fear of what the beef industry will do!
Now tonight I was trying to get through an article about how the Stonyfield farm owner (also seen in Food Inc) is battling with MOnsanto to pay damages to certified organic farms who get contaminated with Monsanto's GMOs. He says it is a David and Goliath kind of thing and it is, but he is very savvy. He grew the organic market from the ground up.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#363339 - 02/05/11 06:45 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, she did mention the beef thing several times, and she was careful, but the suffering mentioned was for every animal (not just cows), which Kathry Freston was trying to point out. Now, I love Oprah, but I was a little pissed when she interrupted her to say cruelty is not involved...that they do not suffer because Cargill said so. BS!!! I've never known her to be biased but she was in this segment. And OMG, Lisa Ling was ridiculous! She had this stupid-ass grin on her face like she was diggin on watching cows get their brains knocked out. She seemed so proud of the humane (are you kidding me?) way the animals were treated.

Yes, I have seen Food Inc. I get so frustrated on how money and power can cover up any atrocity. It makes me more determined than ever to do my part to see that no living creature suffers by my hand. I won't have any part of it.

I have forced myself to watch, read, listen and learn horrible stuff, so that I can be informed and make better choices. I learn something new everyday. I am beyond the PETA stuff, because I have watched all of that that I can take, but it was worthwhile because it opened by eyes.

Sorry to ramble on and on, but I am so passionate about this issue. I just cannot play any part in this anymore. I am now moving towards my clothing, shoes, handbags, household supplies, products, make-up, etc., that involve any kind of cruelty/death to an animal. I own a log cabin and so now I am even looking at my living environment. It is most definitely a process. One that is difficult to accomplish overnight. But the intention is there and I will be where I want to be some day.

#366837 - 02/09/12 10:11 AM
sejdrn80

Reged: 08/02/03
Loc: New York

Since Oprah was sued a few years ago by the Beef industry, maybe she does not feel she can say anything against them without further legal actions against her.

--------------------
Do the best you can each day, don't worry about the rest!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12432

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review