All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what kind of veggeis to eat?
      #359518 - 06/28/10 06:06 PM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

I am IBS-D and I am not sure what kind of veggies to eat even if they are cut up fine or ground up...they all go right through me and send me to the washroom 4 times per hour. As for fruit, I can't eat it at all. All fruit gives me bad Diarrhea except for bananas but I even find they upset my stomach pretty bad sometimes. I have even waited for symptoms to go away and slowly introduce veggies or fruit but with no luck for my IBS.

I can actually see the peas, carrots etc come out in my stools. Any suggestions as to what kind of veggies to eat? I am really worried about my nutrition as no veggies or fruits agree with my stomach.

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: what kind of veggeis to eat? new
      #359521 - 06/29/10 05:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Are you talking about raw or cooked veggies that have been ground up? Which fruits give you the most problems?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359526 - 06/29/10 11:26 AM
davin

Reged: 06/07/10
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

I have been avoiding raw veggies for years. Cooked Veggies don't agree with me at all even if they are ground up. Perhaps its because every vegetable has the outer layer except for carrots? I can actually see them come out when I go to the washroom. I just don't digest veggies or fruit in general. Only fruit I can eat is bananas.

--------------------
IBS-D for 12 years

#359527 - 06/29/10 12:19 PM
Syl

I have a similar problem. Yea - the outer layer of most veggies and fruits is high in insoluble fiber. It is always best to peel them well before cooking and eating them. The only veggies I eat are well cooked peel carrots, zucchini and small amounts of peeled sweet potatoes. If I eat too much, don't cook them until very soft or don't remove all of the skin then I seem them come out in the washroom too. This common for people with IBS because insoluble fiber is a strong GI stimulant. Also, I have to be careful of fruit because I have problems with fruits that contain excess fructose so I stick things like deseeded kiwi fruit.

Do you peel and cook your veggies until very soft and then eat them with a good amount soluble fiber?

I see you live in Edmonton. I am another Canuck - I live in S'toon, Sask

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#359539 - 06/29/10 06:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IMO it is not the veggie that are the only problem. When you see food come out in tact you have some spasm issues. I used to take correctol thinking it would help my bloating and food would come out in tact minutes after eating. Are you on a SFS? Are you eating a lot of SF? To get rid of D you gotta pump yourself with SF and easy to digest foods and possibly a med like Bentyl.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

syl - Re: what kind of veggeis to eat? new
      #359586 - 07/04/10 09:50 AM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

just curious as to why u can only eat those few veggies?.are those the only ones that have safe fructose levels?...do russet potatoes bother u?..do u know why zucinni is okay but squash bothers u?..aren't they about the same?..i am still trying to figure out veggies that i can eat..do u cook the veggies in the oven?..too many questions??.. ...thanks...

Re: syl - Re: what kind of veggeis to eat? new
      #359602 - 07/05/10 08:27 AM
Syl

I can eat any kind of boiled, baked or microwaved regular potato but only small amounts of sweet potato. I eat small amounts of peel well-cooked zucchini but I have troubles with many other types of squash. Some have too much excess fructose and some have higher amount of insoluble fiber. I boil peel carrots until soft. I cook peeled zucchini in many ways but always until soft and I add a 1/2 tsp or so of corn sugar (i.e. glucose) to offset the small amount of excess fructose they contain. There are plenty of veggies that don't have excess fructose such as beets, carrots, dandelion greens, cauliflower, endive, legumes (beans, peas and lentils), lettuce, mushrooms, onions, green onions, soy, sweet potatoes, turnip greens, zucchini, spinach and Swiss chard. Some are high in insoluble so you have to be careful. Veggies are one of the biggest problems I face. I have tried many different kinds with limited success.

There are never too many questions

--------------------

#361867 - 11/03/10 02:57 PM
princess7

Reged: 11/03/10
Loc: Canada

Try veggie soups with a uniform consistency (no visible pieces of veggie) - like carrot or butternut squash. Also try fruit smoothies, maybe strawberry-banana with some yoghurt.

What about mashed veggies? Boil yellow potatoes and carrots until soft, then strain and mash with a bit of soy milk.

For raw veggies, have you tried avocados? Make a dip with mashed avocado, a bit of fresh tomato, and some lime juice. Eat with corn chips.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23182

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review