All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
would this offend you?
      #357780 - 04/13/10 04:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

On my organic gardening forum someone's signature is "I believe there is a place for all God's creatures- right next to the mashed potatoes." I find that highly offensive and asked if the person would change it and now there is a bruhaha. I don't want to change who I am to make others feel better. I don't mind if they eat meat but why do they have to be so pushy about it? It is as bad as the People Eating Tasty Animals bumper sticker.
So after many people got all riled up by my being offended at that signature. I said it was just as offensive as "I like all ethnic groups- especially when they are slaves."
What do you think? I hate when people push eating meat in others' faces like some caveman.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: would this offend you? new
      #357781 - 04/13/10 05:20 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Little Minnie

While I am not really offended by that comment I certainly understand why you are.And you have every right to ask for them to change it.
And they should.
The only other thing I would like to say is the same you did.
Quote:

why do they have to be so pushy about it?

I feel the same way about some vegans and vegetarians.
I think its great for them that they choose to eat that way but why are some of them so pushy about it?Why are they right and I am wrong?
To each their own I think .
I know this is a board for vegetarians so I will leave it at that but you are absolutly right to ask them to change their signature.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#357784 - 04/13/10 06:31 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Minnie, why in the world would someone want that as their signature on your forum about organic gardening? That makes no sense to me. Are they trying to get a reaction? Why would that even come into play on a gardening forum?

I just recently saw that PETA sticker, and I was highly offended. I felt like ramming my car into the back of their's...whoops!

I have certainly eaten my share of animals. I am not proud of it, and I certainly would not brag about it. If it is your forum, and you are the moderator, why can't you have some ground rules. First of all, the forum is about gardening, not about whether you eat animals or not.

#357787 - 04/13/10 07:52 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Yup, totally offended by that. I agree with you 100%! If people want to slowly destroy their own body (and the environment) by eating animals, whatever. But it's definitely the pushiness that I can't stand!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#357790 - 04/14/10 06:20 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If it is a open forum public website without a specifically stated focus on vegetarianism or veganism then the signature probably cannot be interpreted as offensive within that context. From a eating prespective, it is a statement of personal preference which is probably shared by a large number of individuals. On the other hand, if the website focuses one vegetarianism and veganism and specifically states so then the signature would definitely be offensive within that context. I agree with Dragonfly - vegans and vegetarians not just meat eaters can get very pushy about their beliefs too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357812 - 04/14/10 06:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I would like to ram into them too. It brings animals down to just food objects and so how can people who feel that way have pets? I would like to say 'hey I love your bumper sticker. This might sound strange but my favorite tasty animal is dogs- especially yellow labs- like the one in your truck. Looks delicious.' I would get punched in the face I suppose.
I am not the moderator there BTW. They just think it is a funny saying (started from Cabella's or something) and want it as a signature. They were very surprised someone found it highly offensive.
I suppose I feel that viewing animals as just a food object is equal to viewing women as a sex object. Does that make sense?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#357813 - 04/14/10 07:12 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, I understand your feelings about it. I could spout off about alot here, but I will keep it to myself. It only stirs up controversy, and I know that was not Heather's intention for this forum.

I would stand my ground though, and let my feelings be known. There is nothing wrong with that.

You do have a right to express .. new
      #357846 - 04/16/10 10:27 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

.. a opinion but the other poster has a right to not change their signature. Ultimately you can't force someone to think the way you do or to see your point of view.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20410

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review