All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING IMAGERY - For those who have doubts about Veggie eating...
      #356663 - 03/13/10 09:49 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIjanhKqVC4

This video is extremely upsetting, and rightly so. That doesn't mean people shouldn't see it - they actually should, so they know what's going in their world. But, they do need to be prepared for a horrific sight.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Edited by Heather (03/15/10 10:13 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You should put a warning label on this and... new
      #356675 - 03/13/10 12:48 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

although I did not watch more than the very beginning of the video, I suspect this is exactly the sort of proselytizing that I feared this Board would contain and that will drive more people away from vegetarianism.

I am so very sorry to see this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: You should put a warning label on this and... new
      #356679 - 03/13/10 01:03 PM
Windchimes

Anyone who wants to eat IBS safe chicken and turkey would find it best to choose range grown chicken and turkey from a local grower rather than from local supermarkets that purchase from commercial sources, which is what this video was/is about... a means to enlighten the general public about commercial ranching and subsequent health risks of buying these products.

I leave the final decision and choice to each individual as to why they want to eat more veggie and less (or no) meat).

Whether a reader wants to look at the video or not is their choice, that being one of free will.

--------------------

I wonder? new
      #356694 - 03/13/10 05:30 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

When I watch videos like this I wonder about the psyche, conscience, and spirit/soul of the people, who inflict this kind of horrific abuse on another living creature.

I wonder, do they have nightmares? Do they wake up screaming? Do they experience higher rates of anxiety and depression? Do they extend that aggression to their wives and children, or even to their own domesticated animals? Do they lose their temper easily? Do they "go off" on their friends? Where do the effects show up in their lives? Or do they compartmentalize the horror and suffering and only go to that place in their minds, for a brief period each day?

Is it just another day at the office...I wonder?

It is very important where I spend my food dollar, so that maybe I will see a change for the better in my lifetime. I pray!

I not only cry for the creatures, but I also cry for the people who inflict this kind of suffering.

Re: I wonder? new
      #356709 - 03/14/10 03:03 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I wonder those things too. I don't know how people can raise food animals and even name them and slaughter and eat them. Sometimes they say who they are eating when they eat it. I just don't have those feelings for fish, maybe that is wrong. My step dad's dad worked at Armor meat packing plant his whole life. He had hemorroids from walking in the blood (common and ha ha!!). I specifically haven't heard the stories of that place but I think he got used to it. I know he still ate meat. I think it is worse now even though it would seem the FDA regulated it more. I know someone who is probably 70 now and toured a slaughterhouse as a kid and never ate meat again. For a man from that time that was rare! I also have talked with someone who used to shoot the undercover videos at slaughterhouses who many years later tries to eat a little poultry once in a while and throws up. The unsanitary part bothers some people more than the cruelty part.
The good thing is the videos and all the celebrity vegetarians will help make the issue more well known.

I better go eat dinner- it is chicken night- ironically (we still eat poultry one time per week).

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356710 - 03/14/10 04:13 PM
Gerikat

I don't understand how they can do it either. I try not to hate or judge but, sometimes I find it very difficult.

I am currently reading Eating Animals , and it is such an enlightening book. The author is a fantastic writer, and I highly recommend it. The next book on my agenda is Slaughterhouse , by Gail Eisnitz. It will be a very tough read for me, but I need to become as well informed, as I possibly can.

Some would say, how can you read those books and watch those videos. I say, how can I not? How can I ignore what is staring me in the face? How can I continue to pay someone else to do my dirty work for me, something that I would never do for myself, while I look the other way? I need to expose myself to ALL of the brutality, cruelty, and viciousness, that is Agribusiness, so that I can make informed decisions, about what I will or will not continue to support with my food dollar.

The magnitude of the problem is overwhelming. One step at a time...that is the only way I can proceed and keep my sanity.

#356717 - 03/15/10 09:23 AM
Little Minnie

I do wonder how you can endure that, being that I have gotten pretty informed and cannot emotionally endure much more of that. The thing is informing ourselves of it doesn't change that it is being done. What can change it being done? It would take a miracle.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356729 - 03/15/10 12:44 PM
Gerikat

Oh, I can endure it plenty. It just fuels my desire to do better and be a better person.

Change takes time, and you know and I know it does not happen overnight...critical mass. But, this system will kill itself with its ugliness. And, I refuse to put my food dollar in the pockets of those money-hungry, evil people/companies. Supply and demand. When people finally wake up, and make better choices, you will see things begin to change.

Until that happens, you can bet this chick ain't givin em no more dollars!!!

I read that this generation of kids will be the only generation of children NOT to outlive their parents, because of the diet, toxins, and crap they are surrounded by. Now, I don't have any kids yet, but I am wondering if I even want to bring them into this.

Re: WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING IMAGERY - For those who have doubts about Veggie eating... new
      #356747 - 03/16/10 12:14 PM
Gerikat

By the way Windchimes, I forgot to say, thanks for sharing. I believe every bit of it! In my research I am finding so much more, even more gruesome.

This gal will not be a part of anymore slaughter of animals... kind (now, that's a joke), or unkind.

HEATHER'S EDIT.... new
      #356749 - 03/16/10 02:53 PM
Windchimes

Heather made an edit to my original post (3/13) on 3/15 to clarify and improve this post. I appreciate this. The additions included the following:

"WARNING: GRAPHIC, DISTURBING IMAGERY"

"This video is extremely upsetting, and rightly so. That doesn't mean people shouldn't see it - they actually should, so they know what's going in their world. But, they do need to be prepared for a horrific sight."

"Edited by Heather (03/15/10 10:13 AM)"

--------------------

Edited by Heather (03/17/10 10:02 AM)

#356751 - 03/16/10 03:04 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Quote:

I read that this generation of kids will be the only generation of children NOT to outlive their parents, because of the diet, toxins, and crap they are surrounded by. Now, I don't have any kids yet, but I am wondering if I even want to bring them into this.

This is exactly why we're raising our daughter vegan as much as possible. Sure, there may be obstacles and questions as she gets older, but for now we're making the best, heathiest decision we can for her.

I don't know how you can read that stuff either! I think I know enough by now, and I already make the decisions to avoid all animal products, so learning more won't "help" me. I did just read Alicia Silverstone's new book, "The Kind Diet". I had a tough time reading some of the stuff at the beginning, but she is a very inspirational person and talks about her journey towards veganism. Also lots of recipes!! She's an amazing person.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#356753 - 03/16/10 04:10 PM
Gerikat

Hi Lisa, thanks for the response. I want kids one day and I will have to be strict about diet. I can't in good conscience expose another human being to this crap, especially one I am responsible for. I commend you and your husband for sticking to your guns, as I am sure you have had people telling you that you are wrong.

I don't think I am quite to the point you are in your knowledge, so therefore I continue to expose myself to the information. I just picked up Slaughterhouse today, and this will be a tough read. I want to be as informed with the facts as much as possible so as to enlighten others. I certainly don't enjoy reading and seeing this, but it is necessary for me, at this point in time. I don't want to be radical or stuff it down people's throats, but I do want to know what I am talking about.

You know, I read a book many years ago titled Diet For A Small Planet , and it bothered me, and it has taken me this long to get to this point. I guess everyone's journey is different.

By the way, I love Alicia. I intend to buy her book

#356781 - 03/18/10 03:59 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

It's esay to sum up. These people that torture and kill are heartless very disturbing monsters that should be in jail for life. So depressing. I think that's why my IBS is so severe. I am very sensiyive and get upset at the drop of a hat since this world is a nightmare for the innocent with no voices and rights.

Gerikat ... new
      #356789 - 03/18/10 09:55 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Do you remember where you found this:

Quote:

I read that this generation of kids will be the only generation of children NOT to outlive their parents, because of the diet, toxins, and crap they are surrounded by.

I would be interested to read more.

Thanks.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: Gerikat ... new
      #356793 - 03/18/10 12:09 PM
Gerikat

Hi DoubleJ. I stated that incorrectly, I meant to say the first generation, not the only. I am sure if we don't get our act together, there will be more generations.

I have to look through my stack of books and find it. I will post as soon as I do.

#356843 - 03/19/10 02:12 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I have certainly been made to feel like I'm not adequately providing for my daughter's nutrition and it's frustrating. I did have one dietician commend me for my choices, but doctors tend to be ignorant. They get all freaked out about whether you're getting enough of this vitamin or that nutrient, and fail to realize that I'm probably paying WAY more attention to a balanced diet than the average meat-eater. I just want to scream when I watch other moms talk about trying to get their toddlers to drink "cow milk" for their calcium. If they only knew what's really IN that milk, what that poor animal (and calf) went through to provide it for them, and what it's really doing in terms of calcium. Sometimes I wish I were just ignorant like everyone else....

You are SO smart to make yourself so informed!!! I just can't stomach that kind of reading. Good for you!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#356900 - 03/23/10 04:19 AM
Catgirl

It's reality and that will open people's eyes to veganism.People need to know where animals and animal product come from. It's not rainbows and sunshine like these factory farms advertise. It's misleading and digusting.
This torture happens every second and people need to know this instead of believing the fluff ads all over t.v./billboards/magazines. Animals are treated worse than dirt which is horrific but true so how will that make people not become vegan???

#356933 - 03/23/10 01:40 PM
Gerikat

Catgirl, I agree. The video posted by Windchimes is where it needs to be.

I am currently reading Slaughterhouse by Gail Eisnitz. And believe me, she backs everything up with documented facts. I never in my life thought I would read something so horrible. The crimes in this book against animals are evil beyond speaking of, and are laughed at by the people committing them, and I am not just talking about slaughter here. And the "most wonderful" USDA is as big and evil as the rest of them. What they sanction is unfathomable to me.

That is not to mention what is in the food we are eating and feeding our families.

I have no doubt in my mind that I am DONE with animals!

#356946 - 03/24/10 05:13 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Do you remember where you found this:

Quote: "I read that this generation of kids will be the only generation of children NOT to outlive their parents, because of the diet, toxins, and crap they are surrounded by."

I would be interested to read more.

Thanks.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#356970 - 03/24/10 03:43 PM
Gerikat

I'm lookin DoubleJ. I have about 6 books started about diet, so I have to find it. As soon as I do, I will post for you.

#356971 - 03/24/10 04:58 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The statement I heard from a medical correspondent on CNN as I recall basically said this generation of children has a shorter life expectancy due to obesity and increasing incidences of preventable diseases such as diabetes. Here is a link to a 2005 New York Time's article Children's Life Expectancy Being Cut Short by Obesity

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

And this study doesn't even BEGIN to address... new
      #356994 - 03/25/10 05:15 PM
Windchimes

... the quality of life for those who have been obese since childhood and what they are teaching their children for generations to follow. We need to learn to eat properly and stop putting garbage into our bodies.

There is an old saying "Garbage in, garbage out". This goes for food choices and it can also be applied to words.

It's up to us to learn how to eat properly and teach others (particularly little children) the same. As far as I'm concerned Walmart should eliminate their candy aisle and their junk food isles and use the space for more wholesome eating.

Of course we all know this will never happen, as most people LOVE junk food and don't have a clue what they are actually doing to their health and well being overall. It's not so much about living longer, it's more about the quality of one's life absent diseases while alive that could be totally avoided with 'sane' nutrition based on simple nutritional education.

--------------------

#357040 - 03/27/10 12:20 PM
Little Minnie

For me the health aspects of veganism and the health aspects of using things like reusable bottles etc pale in comparison to the humane aspects of animals for food and the need to care for the earth. I care, oddly, much more about animals and the earth than my own body. Humans came along after animals and it is our commission to care for them and make the earth more garden-like.

--------------------

#357045 - 03/27/10 01:39 PM
Gerikat

Well said Minnie!

Re: And this study doesn't even BEGIN to address... new
      #357064 - 03/28/10 04:37 AM
Catgirl

There's also people that don't care about health and then there are people that are addicted to junk. The hormones that are in dairy and meat are super addicting.
There should be warnings for sure but that will never happen since the government is money hungrey and could care less about people/animals.It hurts my heart a lot.

Re: And this study doesn't even BEGIN to address... new
      #357069 - 03/28/10 06:31 AM
Windchimes

Yes, Catgirl... some things really do grieve our hearts. We just need to keep learning and educating ourselves and turning away from things that are not good for our health.

Take care and be blessed in your walk in life.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 90540

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review