All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Where I am at
      #356418 - 03/07/10 07:24 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I will share where I am at in my journey, to not eating any animal products, and I hope others jump in with their journey, or if they have already arrived.

I have never been a big meat eater...just haven't had the taste buds for it. I currently eat some turkey and chicken. I will have fish once in a blue moon, not often, because of the mercury contamination, I have a sprinkle of cheese now and then, an egg sometimes, and an occasional yogurt.

I realize dairy is not on the IBS guidelines, but I wanted to be honest about my diet, at this point in time.

So, I don't have far to go. I think it will be easy for me. I am moving in this direction for many reasons. Health, environmental, and mainly because of the slaughter and inhumane treatment of animals.

I hope by the end of 2010, I have made the rest of the changes, that I want to make.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Where I am at new
      #356902 - 03/23/10 04:36 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

You can do it! I believe you will reach your goal. I kjnow it can be tough but hang in there.Hopefully you have some support where you live since that can be easier. I sure don't have any so my veganism is a secret 99% of the time.

#356932 - 03/23/10 01:30 PM
Gerikat

Thank you Catgirl!

#356944 - 03/24/10 03:36 AM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

Your welcome!

#357041 - 03/27/10 12:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That makes me feel better. I had cut out poultry completely but it is logistically difficult. So I make one poultry meal per week; I try to buy free range or more natural because perhaps their lives were better even though their deaths are no different (and the money makes a message). I eat one or two seafood meals per week. I make one meatless meal for us together and the other days I eat meatless and hub may have some form of meat on his food. We have reduced meat on the whole by quite a bit. Hub likes veggie burgers now but they give him gas.
I tried being closer to vegan for about one year. The problem is combining it with IBS safe foods. I can handle black beans and edamame and soy ok but can't handle lentils, certain other beans and certain grains. Hub, without IBS, can't handle much of any of that.
I buy him regular milk products but I only occasionally have a sprinkle of parmesan and no other dairy. We get eggs from a workmate and they are pets so I am cool with that. But I don't buy things with eggs in them if I can help it. I noticed one large mayo company says they use cage free eggs now which is nice. I can't remember if it is Kraft or Hellmann's.
I still have some leather, silk and wool items and haven't moved into that territory. As for honey, I buy Burt's bees products some but don't eat much honey. I prefer agave.
I wish I could move to 100% vegan for us both. I find a bigger challenge with digesting that diet than with buying/cooking for it.
As for other stuff, I am also trying not to buy palm oil products unless greenly harvested and I have upped my certified organic foods by a lot recently. I grow much of my own produce but after reading about GMOs I am buying organic things much more.
I don't think I will ever give up the soy cheese with casein for the vegan kind- yuck.
I am interested in learning more about which seafood is sustainable. I don't want to spend more on everything but when you do it gradually it helps. I don't buy farmed seafood. The frozen wild stuff is better than fresh farmed anyway.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#357044 - 03/27/10 01:32 PM
Gerikat

Minnie, since that post I have given up chicken and turkey also. I can no longer be a player in any of this.

After reading Eating Animals and Slaughterhouse , I am done.

I did learn much about chickens and turkeys and how they have played with the genetics of the birds. So, even if you buy from a place you think is OK, it probably isn't. Most birds are artificially inseminated, they cannot even reproduce naturally now. I believe the one book stated if you can find Heritage turkeys, you may be OK, otherwise it is a genetically altered bird. I don't have the book now, so I can't remember the exact name, but I believe it was Heritage. Almost all of the birds out there have been genetically altered. They have names for every condition a bird suffers in the process of being manufactured, including being unable to walk and just toppling over. Cage-free is a joke. Unless you can find a place where you actually see the birds walking around doing their thing, then it's all a lie, and they can get away with it.

I have learned soooo much from these two books. I have alot more learning to do, but I am on my way. I could go on and on, jeez, the crap they feed the public and the public buys, could fill volumnes. And the biggest player in the scams on the public is the USDA, along with a little help from our so-called friends in Washington. If you trust anything they say, you would be the fool.

#357118 - 03/28/10 07:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It was the book Skinny B**ch that opened my eyes. Like I said I regressed since then to once a week poultry. I will continue to work on that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#357139 - 03/29/10 12:54 PM
Gerikat

I read that book,too. I loved it. They have a cookbook out, but I haven't checked that out yet.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20326

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review