All Boards >> Veggie Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
A question for Heather or anyone with the answer
      #356401 - 03/06/10 11:44 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

It is not my goal to convert meat eaters into vegetarians. My goal is to take better control and care of my own health, particularly at my senior age. I am in overall good health other than having to deal with bouts of IBS, though eating red meat can cause an immediate IBS flare, and it is also known to be a carcinogen invitation over time. I come from a family of big beef eaters (paternal grandfather was a butcher forever), so I think I've already consumed my share of red meat for one lifetime, yet fortunately absent ever having any type of cancer. My grandfather the butcher died of GI cancer at age 60. I don't want to push it. In fact, now passing by the red meat at a supermarket rather makes me gag. I think this is a good thing for me!

There are many ideas in this world about what it means to be vegetarian versus vegan. It would be good if Heather would post what vegetarian eating encompasses and what it excludes.

Some people will eat byproducts of animals, such as eggs and/or milk. We already know to avoid the egg yolk for IBS safe eating, and we avoid dairy products made from cow's milk.

Would Heather or someone list what Vegetarians exclude from their diet, and what Vegans exclude from their diet? What are the definitive differences between these two categories of non-meat eaters?

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A question for Heather or anyone with the answer new
      #356403 - 03/06/10 12:17 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Wikipedia has a helpful description of the various kinds of vegan, vegetarian, and semi-vegetarian diets: web page

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#356406 - 03/06/10 01:19 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Sand, you are obviously very wise. I don't know why I didn't think of Wikipedia on this question, though I'm really glad that YOU did!

I do hope and pray that this board will be very helpful to many. Eating well is what taking care of our bodies is what sustaining a productive life is all about even into our senior 'golden' years.

I thank you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#356497 - 03/08/10 08:27 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I'm sure Wikipedia has a great explanation, but I'd like to give you my perspective because it's something I'm very passionate about.

I think of vegetarianism as a diet, whereas veganism is a way of life. Vegetarians simply don't eat meat, whereas vegans don't consume or purchase any products - food or otherwise - that exploit animals. This would include things like silk, leather, honey, etc. I also strive to eliminate animal products from my skin care products, hair products, and even household cleaners. Lots and lots of label-reading.

I know I'll never be 100%, but I do the best I can because it simply makes me feel good about my decisions.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13333

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review