1 lb. boneless chicken breast, chopped
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jar pasta sauce
1/4 Cup dried parsley
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. olive oil
1 egg (I use egg beaters)

Saute mushrooms, garlic, parsley & basil in olive oil. Cool. Mix in chicken and egg. Stuff shells. Spread enough sauce just to cover the bottom of a 9x13 dish covered with cooking spray. Place shells in sauce and cover with remaining sauce. Bake covered at 350 for 45 minutes.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This sounds SO GOOD! new
      #99763 - 08/20/04 01:02 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I needed more chicken-and-pasta ideas... you are officially my new hero.

Re: This sounds SO GOOD! new
      #99779 - 08/20/04 01:29 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I 2nd what Casey said!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

a little history... new
      #99781 - 08/20/04 01:34 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

The first year that I was dating Eric I wanted to make something spcial for him for Valentine's Day. This is what I made for him, and he loved it! It's my revised version of what's on the Creamettes Jumbo Shells box.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Re: Chicken Stuffed Shells new
      #105017 - 09/10/04 02:02 PM
Shell Marr

Ok... this might be 2 silly questions... but I have to ask. I've never used jumbo shells....

1) do you cook them first and then stuff them?
2) do you cook the chicken first and then chop it up or do you throw it into the mushroom mix raw and cook until done before stuffing shells?

--------------------

#105059 - 09/10/04 06:02 PM
RachelT

Good questions!!

Quote:

1) do you cook them first and then stuff them? Yes!! You want to cook the shells first, and let them cool in cold water before stuffing them.
2) do you cook the chicken first and then chop it up or do you throw it into the mushroom mix raw and cook until done before stuffing shells? Nope. You put the raw chicken in the mix, and stuff the shells with the raw chicken mixture and cook, fully stuffed.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#105092 - 09/10/04 11:21 PM
Shell Marr

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I just might try to make these this weekend.

--------------------

#105127 - 09/11/04 08:09 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

do you just slice up actual chicken breasts or use ground chicken?

--------------------

#105180 - 09/11/04 03:14 PM
RachelT

Quote:

do you just slice up actual chicken breasts or use ground chicken? It works best if you use chicken breasts cut up.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#105181 - 09/11/04 03:16 PM
RachelT

Quote:

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. I just might try to make these this weekend. You're welcome Shell!!! Glad I could help. Let me know how it turns out!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#105185 - 09/11/04 03:22 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

OMG! These sound soooo good! I'm here drooling! LOL Can't wait to try them!

#105190 - 09/11/04 03:48 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

OMG! These sound soooo good! I'm here drooling! LOL Can't wait to try them! Well, come on over for dinner tonight!

--------------------

#105191 - 09/11/04 03:54 PM
*Melissa*

Quote:

Quote:

OMG! These sound soooo good! I'm here drooling! LOL Can't wait to try them! Well, come on over for dinner tonight! Cool!! I'm on my way over! I'll bring dessert - I just made some cupcakes! LOL

#105202 - 09/11/04 05:51 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OMG! These sound soooo good! I'm here drooling! LOL Can't wait to try them! Well, come on over for dinner tonight! Cool!! I'm on my way over! I'll bring dessert - I just made some cupcakes! LOL Oh, saw those too.... they look YUMMY...but I can't do BOTH items in one night...it will TOTALLY blow my diet (I mean way of living) I just got home from the store with all the fixings.... I have to do dishes (by hand) from the last two nights FIRST and then I can cook...hehehe

--------------------

#105220 - 09/11/04 09:35 PM
Shell Marr

I MADE THIS TONIGHT...YUMMERS!!! I'm going to write in green what I used....

1/2 package jumbo shells 20 shells
1 lb. boneless chicken breast, chopped 2-1/2 breast
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms 4 oz (only cuz it already looked like SO MUCH, not realizing that they shrink big time when cooked...LOL, next time I will use 8 oz)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 jar pasta sauce Ragu Roasted Garlic (may not be safe for everyone)
1/4 Cup dried parsley
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. olive oil
1 egg (I use egg beaters) eggbeaters

Makes 4 serving
Approx 468 calories per serving

--------------------

#105280 - 09/12/04 07:58 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks for the review, Shell! I think I'm going to try these next weekend.

Turkey Stuffed Shells new
      #106768 - 09/18/04 10:10 PM
Shell Marr

Made this again tonight but used turkey breast instead of chicken... it was very good! I think next time I'm gonna use either ground turkey or Italian turkey sausage removed from the casing.

--------------------

#216807 - 09/30/05 11:31 AM
pookz

Reged: 09/30/05
Loc: South West UK

hi are the shells ok if you are on a low fibre diet

Made these with ground turkey last week!! Sooooo good!! new
      #218721 - 10/10/05 02:36 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

They were sooooooo good.
I made loads, and had leftovers and they were even yummier the next day!!
I used ground turkey breast, which I cooked with the onions and garlic and spices before I stuffed them (I only read AFTER I put it all in the pan that I could have done it raw!!). I was afraid they might not turn out as well but they were DELICIOUS!
I just used "Original" Ragu sauce and used lots of mushrooms 'cause I loooooove mushrooms. BF cut them into tiny, tiny peices so they stuffed really well into the pasta shells.

Thanks very much for this recipe, I will definitely be making this again and soon!!

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Thanks for the reminder Steph...I need to try with ground! -nt- new
      #218743 - 10/10/05 04:06 PM
Shell Marr

--------------------

Hey! I'm making these this weekend! new
      #218767 - 10/10/05 05:56 PM
*Melissa*

I just bought stuff to make them for this weekend. I'm going to dinner over my aunt's and she's making a roast, so I have to bring something safe for me, and I decided to make these. That's funny how this recipe "popped up" when I was about to make it...it's a sign!

Re: Hey! I'm making these this weekend! new
      #218807 - 10/10/05 09:00 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

I made these with the ground turkey breast (not all the ground stuff is breast, at least around here) and they were great. I packaged them up in foil with 5 to a package so it would fit in my calorie, fat count for that meal. I take them whenever I'm going somewhere that I'm not sure what they serve.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#218914 - 10/11/05 10:17 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I made this last night and did not use egg because grrrr went to the fridge and found out I didn't have any. They still came out really good! I had them for lunch today as well. I also put soy parmesean on them before baking them.

Made these for What's Cooking? - Week of October 10, 2005 new
      #219947 - 10/17/05 06:22 PM
*Melissa*

I decided to post my "review" with the recipe, so it's with it for future reference. Don't know why I never thought of that before!

Anyway, this was YUMMY!!! I made it for myself at a family dinner since they were eating roast (those lucky ducks!). Anyway, a couple of people tried a shell also as a side dish and they all enjoyed it.

I have 2 ideas I want to try also with it...when sautéing the mushrooms, I want to try adding some wine. I don't know why, but I got this stuck in my head ever since I was sautéing the mushrooms, so I'm dying to see what it would taste like.

Also was wondering how a little spinach would be added with the mushroom/garlic part, maybe right at the end since it wilts so fast.

If I ever get around to trying these, I'll let ya know!

Re: Made these for What's Cooking? - Week of October 10, 2005 new
      #220025 - 10/18/05 08:54 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Those sound like great variations! I bet the spinach would be especially tasty...reminds me of lasagna.....mmmm.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Made for What's Cooking week of Oct 24! new
      #221041 - 10/24/05 07:10 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Ok, so this kinda ended up being a loosely based upon this recipe type deal:

I used 4 oz of mushrooms, some frozen spinach, and some shredded carrots with the spices, egg beaters, and Quorn Chicken tenders for the filling. TASTY! Though Mac did say I may want to thaw out the Quorn first and chop the chunks a little smaller next time. It was so colorful too with all the veggies! And there's leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

PS The Sweet Cherry Almond Cake minus the almonds was tasty too!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Leftovers tonight tasted even better! -nt- new
      #221240 - 10/25/05 03:06 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

HE LIKES IT! new
      #276413 - 07/31/06 09:22 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

FINALLY! A recipe my BF actually LIKES!! I've tried several, & I liked most of them, but he hasn't been impressed with any of them until now! He liked the oven fried honey chicken but it didn't really WOW him. But he LOVES this & wants me to make it when we have our friends over next weekend! THANK YOU! btw I made it w/ground turkey.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Re: HE LIKES IT! new
      #276494 - 07/31/06 04:32 PM
chupie

Reged: 05/30/06

What kinds of things does he like? Maybe we can put our heads together and think of some more recipes he might like that you can have too.

#276557 - 08/01/06 05:21 AM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

This sounds tasty! If I have enough money on the food budget this month, I'm gonna have to try this. Congrats on the baby, and what a beautiful name for her! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

#276591 - 08/01/06 10:54 AM
littlelani

He's very picky. But if it's a Food Network recipe he'll eat it. He doesn't like a lot of spices, but he loves garlic. (so do I--glad it doesn't bother me too much!) He likes rice,pasta,couscous, etc. But he's not fond of vegetables, except green beans & peas. I've been making 2 different main dishes for us for dinner, but same sides: I'll saute a chicken breast for myself, then make a burger or pork chop for him, and have rice & a veggie on the side. That's getting old. I need some new ideas!

--------------------

#276640 - 08/01/06 05:01 PM
Sommer

Quote:

FINALLY! A recipe my BF actually LIKES!! I've tried several, & I liked most of them, but he hasn't been impressed with any of them until now! He liked the oven fried honey chicken but it didn't really WOW him. But he LOVES this & wants me to make it when we have our friends over next weekend! THANK YOU! btw I made it w/ground turkey.

Hehe, I totally understand ya there. My BF is being quite the trooper, trying to accept this diet of mine. It's not practical any other way - neither of us can afford to buy/cook for ourselves (afford time, money, and space) and well, if I'm going to play housewife (I'm on disability due to IBS and many, many other problems), and he's going to work his butt off, then I try to cook as often as I can. I've been very lucky, he's liked about 98% of every recipe I've thus made, whether it was one I found here on the IBS board, one I found elsewhere, or one I attempted to make myself. I am no cook - anyone can follow a recipe, but not everyone can cook so if my BF likes what I cook, then it's a compliment for sure, hehe, a compliment on the recipes themselves and for my own efforts. The poor guy does complain, err rather he mentions that he misses the real stuff. He has a large deal of non-IBS safe food in the pantry and fridge, too - that meanie head! :P He says to me he misses ground beef, but sheesh, the guy gets pork loin now and then and on top of that about once a month he gets steak! *rolls eyes in exasperation*. At least he's trying though, and he's eating what I cook - there's no place for him to hide it and no pet to feed it too *giggle*. I've made a lot and I mean a lot of ground turkey recipes. I posted a stroganoff one and I made a really yummy tuna noodle casserole, too, adapted for IBS and inspired by the ideas of others. Sometimes I use Recipezaar and post recipes there or find recipes there that people from here have posted or that I can adapt for the IBS diet. Good luck!

--------------------

#276653 - 08/01/06 06:13 PM
littlelani

Thank you! I will look up those recipes & check out recipezaar, soon as I get a chance! Tonight, for him I made boneless pork chops w/this applesauce mixture he likes, & I had chicken w/pasta...and we both had..you guessed it-green beans! LOL! At least he eats vegetables now, he didn't when I first met him. It's nice to know that I'm not alone as far as IBS goes or w/the issues I face w/family & friends who don't have IBS. I hope things get better for you. I'm not sure if you can take advantage of this or not, but where I live we have Sam's Club & Costco. They're warehouse clubs that offer discounts on large amounts of things you need anyway-that might help you save some money. The membership fee is kinda high, but the savings are worth it. I recently bought 11 lbs of chicken breast for $14, and 5 lbs of whole wheat spaghetti for $3! I get my Silk Soy milk there too, $6 for 3 gallons. It's a lot cheaper than the grocery store & health food store on most (but not all) things I buy.

--------------------

A long story of my cooking gone wrong... new
      #276671 - 08/01/06 09:02 PM
Sommer

Earlier I'd written a post regarding our significant others liking the IBS diet recipes in reply to a post about a BF finally liking one. In that reply, I'd mentioned that I, personally, may be able to follow a recipe fairly well, but I can't necessarily cook. This story is a prime example and perhaps my prior post which was made not too long after I began tonight's dinner was a harbinger. So here I am completely freaking out wondering how I'm supposed to stuff these shells, I mean there's like these tiny little openings and the mixture is just too big to get in there without literally breaking the shells. So here I am literally trying to break these shells (omg they're sturdy!) just to get the mixture into them. Thank god my BF can cook! I've NEVER stuffed a shell, manicotti or otherwise in my entire life. He walks in from work while I'm attempting to get these shells stuffed and he's like, "Aren't you supposed to at least soak those first or something?f" "No, the recipe doesn't indicate to soak them at all, and wouldn't they get soggy cooking for 45mins?" I knew the 45mins was necessary to cook the chicken, since it's raw, but I swore that it would ruin the shells. BF says, "Actually, you'd probably burn the shells b/c there's not enough moisture; you have to cook them first, then stuff them." So, I respond, "Uh, then what, they'll be steaming hot, how am I supposed to handle them?" He says, "Cool them off first." I answer back, "But what about this layer of sauce with cooking spray underneath it, what's gonna happen to it, will it get ruined while I have to fix this? If I had been looking at him, I would have seen the exasperation in his face. "Of course not," he says. I sarcastically reply, "Riiight, of course not, cuz I know exactly what I'm doing!" I said a couple other things loudly, sarcastically and each time he's trying to go to the bathroom and he keeps opening the door and yelling, "What?! I'm trying to go to the bathroom here." I wasn't being sarcastic towards him, but myself. *SIGH* I stare downward at the plate before me with haphazardly filled broken, sad, and uncooked jumbo shells, shaking my head and thus prepare to empty the filling from them back into the pan... oh darnit, I realize, I need that pan for cooking the shells in. Aargh, my feet hurt so badly and I can't believe this is happening. It's been a long time since I've been this retarded in the kitchen. It was interesting enough trying to mince garlic and cut chicken with a dull knife (need to get a knife sharpener asap). For whatever odd reason, BF's knife block doesn't include a knife sharpener. I need a brain sharpener....

Anyway, so I scrape the filling mixture from the pan into a bowl, was out the pan and DUH! OMG! Look at those cooking directions on the American Beauty Jumbo Shells box! I can't follow this simple recipe, but thank god I can follow a recipe on how to cook jumbo shells. Hrm, so now here I am stuffing shells, hoping that I didn't lose out on the mixture somehow when I had to scrape it out of the pan, but at the same time wondering if the mixture got a nice little marinade while it awaited the pasta shells. I had had to throw away probably seven uncooked shells and salvaged all the mixture, except for the seasonings and egg beaters and oil sticking to those shells when I tossed them. I probably could have rinsed them off, but seven broken shells aren't a huge sacrifice. Besides, the box is still a "1/2 box of jumbo shells" as the recipe calls for, plus some. As many times as I've double- and triple-checked this recipe to make sure I was following it correctly, I didn't see the word "chopped" after the chicken, I thought it was ... no now that I think about it, I did see "chopped" but my insanity interpreted it as "1/4 inch cubes" or something. So now that all's well and in the oven, I'm freaking out again b/c I'm wondering if the chicken's going to get done b/c it wasn't exactly chopped. 45mins pass as I randomly converse w/BF and write this novella for all of you to read (and laugh at) and I'm nervous about how this is going to turn out.

The result? IT WORKED OUT JUST FINE! Except that I wore some spaghetti sauce while dishing this up... and BF says it's "really tasty". And yes, the chicken was done.

I'm saving the leftover cooked shells b/c the package of chicken breasts was too much for the recipe, so I have a leftover chicken breast. Guess what I'm doing for lunch tomorrow? I'm gonna turn that leftover chicken breast into really yummy garlic chicken and eat it with the pasta and some sauce, maybe garlic spaghetti sauce. Although, it might be possible that there will be leftovers of tonight's chicken-stuffed shells to snack on tomorrow, who knows.

So now that things turned out so well, I'd like to heave a huge sigh of relief and laugh at myself and with myself for nearly making an expensive screw-up of dinner. I'd also like to share how I worked this recipe out. Out of sheer laziness, I eye-balled the amount of of olive oil. I used the exact amount of basil and parsley flakes called for, and the garlic also. When I was sauteeing the mushrooms and herbs, I used the edge of the spatula to chop the mushrooms as I stirred everything. (They were bought presliced). I also tried an organic pasta sauce, mushroom flavor by a brand called Naturally Preferred. I didn't think this 1lb 9oz size jar was enough sauce for this dish when I was ready to put it into the oven, but now that I'm eating it, it's sloppy and there seems to be plenty of sauce. The pasta sauce itself is delicious (I had pondered over Garlic flavor or Italion flavor at the grocery store). I think the mushroom flavor worked out well. At $4, it was pricier than what I usually buy, which is Prego, or if I have to, I will buy Kroger spaghetti sauce (very decent but just not the same and I hate Ragu).

Heather suggests that research isn't sure yet how non-organic foods affect the GI tract. I don't mind organic foods, I just can't afford to buy them hardly at all and underlying that, organic foods may not endure the needs of the world's growing population. But if I'm able to, I will certainly not flat out say "no" to trying organic. That's an entirely different story for the other board though that I'd like to share with everyone.

--------------------

Re: A long story of my cooking gone wrong... new
      #276763 - 08/02/06 02:41 PM
littlelani

Awwww! I'm sorry you had such a bad experience w/the recipe, but it sounds like it turned out well. Don't feel bad, we've all been there. No one knows how to cook the first time they try! I'm good w/desserts but I'm a novice when it comes to "real" food. The first & only time I ever tried to make pizza (shudder) was a disaster!! I had flour ALL over the kitchen, on the countertops, the floor, in the sink! And it wasn't edible...I actually think it wanted to eat me! It was a gooey, nasty, bubbling gook. And that's why I will not even attempt to make the EFI pizza! I'll stick w/Amy's thank you very much!

--------------------

Re: A long story of my cooking gone wrong...LOL new
      #277032 - 08/03/06 06:17 PM
Sommer

Here's a quote from my BF "OMG, $9.00 for a 9-inch pizza?" Okay that's not an exact quote, but it's close enough. I can eat an entire Amy's Soy Cheeze Pizza all by myself, sometimes in one long sitting. I dont' scarf it down, but usually finish it off within an hour. Or I maybe have a slice left, two at most that I end up eating an hour or two later. I've never made a homemade pizza.

Thanks for shring, glad I'm not the only one who goofs up. So many ppl on here seem like such pros that I felt so stupid when I realized what I'd almost done. Supposedly my mom says, a sign of a good cook is a big mess. I'm not too pleased with that. I like cleaning up as I go so that I'm not spending hours scrubbing and cleaning afterwards. I mean my biggest pet peeves were the inevitable splatters and splotches of random liquids all over the place, stove, counters... is it that hard to wipe those up as you go? :P Have fun and take care! Btw, Amy's Macaroni and Soy Cheeze entree is yummy, again, not cheap, but yummy.

--------------------

#277036 - 08/03/06 06:32 PM
Sommer

Hi Littlelani, I hope it gets easier for you, too. Thank you for the support and the tip. Yes I have used Costco in the past, and I agree with you, for many things it's well worth the membership. I had a membership a long, long time ago, I think it was either 50 or 100 bucks for an annual membership, can't remember now. And prior to that my grandmother used to shop there and I'd go with her. Right now, I have no room for for that much, I'd end up wasting it. But, bulk is a good idea most of the time, and if I can do it, and have the room, I do buy in bulk, even if it's just from my local Fry's aka Kroger's. What a need is an entirely separate fridge/freezer and shelving units for my food... some day soon hopefully. :P Take care.

--------------------

#282605 - 09/16/06 06:29 PM
Tilden

Reged: 08/13/06
Loc: Bay Area

This is in the oven right now...and it smells really good. I was a little short on mushrooms so I threw some sun dried tomatoes in as well. The spinach that someone suggested sounds good too.

--------------------
Jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 378 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31430

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review