All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Brown Rice Miso
      #97488 - 08/11/04 12:02 PM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello - I'm attempting to make Heather's Roasted Miso Salmon (page 141, First Year Book) and want to ask if the Miso I've bought will be ok. I found Clearspring Johsen Organic Brown Rice Miso in the speciality section in Sainsburys (I'm in the UK). The ingrediants are:-
Organic whole soya beans
cultured organic brown rice
sea salt
water

Is this the same as the Miso purees available in the States?

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Brown Rice Miso - Got Answer! Now have new ? new
      #97548 - 08/11/04 02:37 PM
sona

Hi

Did a bit of searching on here and Google etc... and now know a bit more about Miso! Really liked this receipe, so tasty. I now want to try the 'Maple-Glazed Salmon with Nutty Wheat Berries' but despite searches am still not too clear on what wheat berries are and where you can get them in the UK. Have Googled 'mesclun' - is that a type of salad or greens? Will call some health food stores tomorrow but if anyone can point me in the right direction, or is familiar with UK substitutes, I'd be grateful!

Thanks
PS - Don't you just love us Brits! I'm quite enjoying searching for these foods and working out the translations for common foods ie scallion/spring onion (UK), shrimp/prawn (UK), eggplant/aubergine (UK), snowpea/mangetout(UK). Really want to make sure I am eating the right things. Thanks

#97609 - 08/11/04 05:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Wow I hadn't heard of mangetout! I do a lot of adapting British recipes to American. I used to watch Jamie Oliver and Nigella and other English shows. Wheat berries are a type of wheat grain but I don't know too much about them. I think they are similar to barley. You can substitute brown rice, but I think the UK has more grains than here in general- such good oatmeal! Mesclun is fancy baby mixed greens. You should be able to get that at any store. Here's another comparison to add to your list zucchini/corgettes.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#97613 - 08/11/04 05:22 PM
Little Minnie

http://www.foodsubs.com/GrainWheat.html
here is a better explanation.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#97852 - 08/12/04 02:13 PM
sona

Hi Tamara

Thanks ever so much for the response. The web site is great - I was looking for pictures so I could identify at my local health food shop. I thought wheat berries could be fruit, like blackberries! Also wasn't sure if mesclun were greens that you boil or salad greens so thanks for answering my questions. I've book marked the web site to help with anymore queries.

Thanks again!

#98340 - 08/14/04 07:22 PM
Little Minnie

Yeah wow I had not looked over that site but it is way cool! Oh and we have to add rutabagas/swedes to our list.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 369 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1879

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review