All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Substitutions/My own Recipes
      #97402 - 08/11/04 07:34 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

Can anyone help me figure out how to substitute canola oil for the butter/margarine some of my recipes call for? What is the ratio? I have a few favorite recipes I would like to try and adapt. If they work out, Ill be sure and post them. Thanks
Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Substitutions/My own Recipes new
      #97410 - 08/11/04 08:12 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hello there!! Normally I would tell you to do a search for this, but I remembered that it had been discussed yesterday in another post. Here's the link... web page

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Yup, I answered this yesterday... new
      #97420 - 08/11/04 08:33 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Or started to, anyway. It's hard to give a complete answer when you don't know what the recipe is. Like I was trying to get across, equal substitutions don't work because the you're trying to reduce the fat content, not just get rid of the animal fat... and also, in some recipes, you can't substitute at all.

Missy, is there a recipe in particular you're itching to have made "safe"? If so, go ahead and post it in here as-is, and a few of us will see if it can be fixed.

Help with banana cookie recipe new
      #97452 - 08/11/04 10:41 AM
feelingood

Here's the recipe.

Banana-Spice Cookies
1/2 c margarine/butter
2 1/4 c flour
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t baking powder
1 t vanilla
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t baking soda
1/8 t cloves
3 bananas, mashed (1 cup)
1/2 c chopped nuts (optional)

These cookies are really yummy, they are soft and more like cake than cookies but I would love to still make them--matter of fact, I have some "spotty" bananas that would be perfect for them right now!

Thanks
Missy

Quick question... new
      #97453 - 08/11/04 10:42 AM
atomic rose

How many cookies does this make? I'm plugging the ingredients into a recipe analysis program as we speak.

Ooooh!! I'm really interested in this one!! - nt new
      #97456 - 08/11/04 10:51 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Never mind... here's what I would try... new
      #97459 - 08/11/04 10:56 AM
atomic rose

1. DO NOT use canola oil in this recipe. I'm not sure what the oil would do to the texture of the cookies. Use soy margarine instead - if you can't find it in your supermarket, try a health food store.

2. Omit the nuts!!

So here's what the ingredients would look like, if I were going to try this recipe:

1/4 cup soy margarine
1/4 cup applesauce
2 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Egg Beaters OR 4 egg whites
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cloves
3 bananas, mashed (1 cup)

Using the ingredients I have listed - and leaving out the nuts - the cookies are about 18.8% calories from fat. You wouldn't want to eat bunches of them, but they *should* be ok for an occasional treat after a low-fat meal.

Also, see how I replaced half the margarine with applesauce? I only did that because you said that the cookies were already "cake-like". If they were a typical cookie, like a chocolate chip or an oatmeal, that substitution wouldn't work. Normal cookies are pretty much impossible to convert to IBS-safe guidelines, I'm afraid. (At least as far as I've tried.)

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks a Bunch new
      #97487 - 08/11/04 12:00 PM
feelingood

By the way--the recipe says it makes 60 cookies--I get about 40. Ill let everyone know how they came out--I won't be making them until next week I figure--Im going out of town this weekend and won't get to the health food store until then. (The only health food store is about 40 minutes from my house--that's one of the drawbacks to living in a small town--even soy milk is only available about 30 minutes away)

Thanks again
Missy

Re: Never mind... here's what I would try... new
      #97602 - 08/11/04 04:43 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Hey Casey,

Just a thought: I have made a few cookie recipes using soft-spread Canola margarine - substituting it measure-for-measure for the regular margarine or butter called for in the recipe.

I found the Canola margarine at Jewel (which is owned by Albertson's). I have also come across olive oil margarine on occasion at big grocery stores (also the soft spread kind in a tub). Do you think that would work?

Of course, the applesauce substitution trick is good for reducing the fat.

Anyway, like I said, just a thought.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Well... new
      #97603 - 08/11/04 04:59 PM
atomic rose

It'll work in terms of giving you cookies that still taste like the originals, but that's because it's still fat - whether you're using butter or canola oil spread. The cookies would be too high in fat content for the IBS diet guidelines, unfortunately. And I know from past experience (years ago) that fat-free margarines don't work in baking or cooking.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4400

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review