All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
simple recipies
      #94867 - 07/31/04 08:40 PM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

Anyone have any suggestions for simple recipies? I've read Heathers book about IBS foods; I must say, I'm quite impressed with all the variety. But I'm used to foods like hamburgers and chili dogs. Which needless to say, aren't IBS friendly. Any suggestions? Also, anyone have experience with wild game? If so, what types are safe?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: simple recipies new
      #94871 - 07/31/04 08:56 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Since it's summer, the simplest thing ever is to grill. I grill whenever humanly possible. The obvious things like chicken breasts, fish, and shrimp can all be grilled... I've also grilled almost every kind of vegetable and a few fruits too (mango and peaches are SO good grilled). If you can't have a grill where you are, invest in the largest Foreman grill you can find. (I have a little one, and it's way too small to be practical.)

I know that's not really a "recipe", but that's what I do... I'm all about dinner with as little fuss as possible.

As for game... now, what I'm going to say is, I'm sure, REALLY unpopular... generally speaking, I think the IBS diet recommendation is to avoid ALL red meats, and that would include game. That said, back when I used to eat venison all the time, I had no problems with it. To avoid getting in trouble for dishing bad advice, I still will not call it "safe"; just relating my experience. I was also ok with wild duck and wild goose, although you'd want to eat the white meat only, and DEFINITELY avoid the farm-raised versions - waaaaay too high in fat.

#94873 - 07/31/04 09:09 PM
dan the redneck man

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: Houghton; MI

Thanks, I'll have to remember to grill more often. I've noticed with venison the backstrap and tenderloin cuts are alright if I grill them, but the roasts and brisket are to fatty no matter how I cook them. Grouse and squirrel are okay too, so is rabbit. I've noticed I can't have goose or duck though. Then again, when I last had them, they were roasted and were pretty greasy. This might offend some people, but I don't mean it to. I harvest my own meat because I feel it is healthier than stuff I can buy in the store.

#94877 - 07/31/04 09:59 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Eh, it doesn't offend *me* at all, anyway. I'm not in a situation where I can get game meats anymore, but back when I was, it seemed to me that it was a lot healthier to have meat that was raised on food found in nature, with no hormones or anything like that.

That's interesting that you found wild duck to be greasy... the wild duck I had was so much the opposite that I accidentally overcooked the first pair and they were dry as bricks and about as tasty. Ah well. But yeah, the backstrap and tenderloins are definitely the leanest and most tender - those are the ones I stuck with - I wouldn't risk the fattier cuts or anything made from scraps (sausage, ground) these days.

#96768 - 08/09/04 11:20 AM
GailC

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: Winchburgh, Scotland

A man after my own heart dan, i love my red meat as well, although it doesn't always agree with me, i really love game meat, i will try grilling these as well

--------------------
I won't let this beat me

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1468

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review