All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
restaurant ideas
      #933 - 02/15/03 06:45 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

In the interest of getting some discussion going over here (the Eating for IBS board has us beat! ), I wanted to ask: what are some tried-and-true restaurant meal suggestions? OK, we all know the basics: no red meat, dairy, high-fat or deep-fried foods, or egg yolks, and be careful with insoluble fiber. What about specifics?

Here are my ideas. Within walking distance of campus, I can get Indian food, with naan and basmati rice as good fillers, and chicken or shrimp entrees; I just need to be careful about hidden cream in the sauces.

I can get "healthy Mexican" (don't know how Mexican it is) food, where a huge black bean, chicken, and salsa burrito is cheap; I just need to avoid the burrito right below it on the menu, filled with guacamole and cheese .

I can get sushi, with safe choices including miso soup, green tea, sashimi and rice rolls, and teriyaki chicken or fish with rice and steamed vegies on the side; I just need to be careful about rolls that contain tempura or mayonnaise. I can eat some raw vegie rolls, but I know that's different from person to person.

I can get Mediterranean food, with pita bread and hummus and yellow rice as good fillers, and chicken and shrimp as entrees; I just need to avoid the yogurt sauce and the green salad (or eat it at the very end). I can eat the lentils and rice, but I know that's different from person to person.

I can get Chinese food, and since we're mainly lazy college students who order in, I just need to track down the "diet" section of the menu, and order the steamed vegies and tofu or chicken in fat-free sauces, with hot and sour soup only if I know the restaurant well enough to know if the soup will be greasy or not.

What are some other good suggestions? Just writing them out may cheer you up: you'll have to think about all the good things out there that you CAN eat .

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: restaurant ideas new
      #935 - 02/15/03 07:01 PM
Sue48

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

Hi
You seemed very, very informed about your restaurant choices! And I am most impressed w/ the availability for you.
I am stuck here in the heart of America: Kansas. No such luck w/ restaurant varieties or food varieties. SO! I am envious!

Tonight I just walked on the "wild" side by going to a Mexican restaurant. Ordered chicken fajitas, plenty of rice, and extra tortillas. Hope it all settles well.

PS I am also impressed w/ the recipe ideas I read that you post!

--------------------
Sue

#938 - 02/15/03 10:34 PM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

My restaurant food of choice lately has been a cheese-less mushroom pizza. Heather actually made the cheese-less suggestion in one of her books. It's great because nearly all chain-type restaurants that I visit during the workweek have some sort of personal pizza or pizza appetizer.

#940 - 02/16/03 12:19 AM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

I had cheeseless pizza for the first time a few weeks ago and the waiter kind of teased me about it but I didn't really care. It was really good, too. My boy didn't believe me, though. :-) He's a good Wisconsin boy... gotta have his cheese.

I haven't gone out much to restaurants lately, partly because I'm a poor student living on my own. But when I do I usually get a pasta or rice dish. The nice thing is that's usually what I ate before I even started the IBS diet so that hasn't changed much. I usually don't even have meat except for seafood. I had eliminated chicken and turkey along with red meat because they seem to be triggers for me. Most vegetarian entree's are okay, though.

I, too, am impressed by how much you know about the places around you. And that you have so many to choose from! Must be nice. :-) Thanks for your positive attitude!

Beth

#954 - 02/16/03 10:16 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

TessLouise,

I just wanted to thank you for the great restaurant ideas, especially since I am new to all of this. I am just happy that I can still have Indian! After the initial shock wears off that you have to change your diet (and well worth the change!) you come to realize that you still can have loads of things. Your suggestions have been a great help!

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Re: restaurant ideas Swiss Chalet new
      #1025 - 02/18/03 06:41 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Order a white quarter chicken with baked potato. Skip the butter and sour cream and order an extra chalet dipping sauce. I dunk it all - chicken potato and bun and love it forever. Totally safe. Low fat, and no triggers. It is my favourite take-out or eat in place.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: restaurant ideas Subway new
      #1026 - 02/18/03 06:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I like subway because you get what you ask for. They are improving on their choice of sauces - the sweet onion on the teriyaki chicken is divine. Plus - you can choose whatever veggies you can tolerate. Skip the cheese and mayo, though. I also love their honeymustard sauce. I just wish their buns tasted better. Plus, they have lots of low fat options.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1028 - 02/18/03 09:37 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I've now found 2 "safe harbors" to eat at. Quizno's Subs, they have 2 low fat sandwiches, their Sierra smoked turkey w/raspberry chipolte sauce and their Honey Bourbon Chicken sandwich. Each is only 6 grams of fat. The buns are great also. The second place is Baja Fresh Mexican Food. I can get their grilled chicken tacos and feel safe. The chicken is really grilled, not fried or stewed in oily sauce.

#5890 - 04/12/03 03:08 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi TessLouise
I'm just new at this and I know you posted this almost two months ago but I was wondering if you thought eating at a fish and chips place be okay. I usually order their rice and I could take the skin off of the cod. If you or somebody could let me know that would be great. My sister and I Love to go out for dinner at this Restaurant.
Georgette

#5895 - 04/12/03 04:10 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

There' s restaurant by the name if "Fezziwigs" near my house that my parents like to take me too. They have one selection called "grilled chicken wraps" It's Grilled chicken breast strips with lettuce cheese and tomato smothered in some kind of heavy sauce and wrapped all together in a tortilla. WHen i go, i just ask for the breast strips alone (w/o the lettuce,sauce,cheese,ect) They always give me fries though, and i never eat them

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20624

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review