All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Substitute for Coconut Milk
      #91987 - 07/20/04 11:49 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Found a substitute for coconut milk (Michelle Truit cookbook). She uses soy milk with coconut essence added.

I use rice milk, thickened with 1 tbs potato or corn flour and 1/4 tsp coconut essence. Great for Thai food or curries - my husband didn't notice the difference!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks for the great tip! -nt- new
      #92023 - 07/21/04 06:15 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Thanks from me too! nt new
      #92088 - 07/21/04 11:27 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Eww, good one Bev!!! -nt- new
      #92153 - 07/21/04 03:58 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

--------------------

Hey guys, don't thank me, thank the chef, Michelle Truit!! new
      #92154 - 07/21/04 04:10 PM
bevp

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: Brisbane Australia

Re: Substitute for Coconut Milk new
      #139385 - 01/17/05 02:09 PM
Saveena

Reged: 11/22/04
Loc: Texas

I'm a newbie to using potato flour to thicken sauces. How do you add it without it becoming a hard ball? I tried sprinkling and stirring, but still got a ball of potato flour.

--------------------
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Re: Substitute for Coconut Milk new
      #139435 - 01/17/05 06:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My sub is lite coconut milk and I skim the fat off the top before shaking the can. I eat it all the time and substitute it for plain yogurt in Indian food since I can't find plain soy yogurt. Lite coc milk has 4 grams of fat per serving but less if you skim or dilute with water. Since I know Heather and others have recommended macaroons and other things with coconut I am not going to be scared off by coconut milk (or peanuts or peanut sauce!) YUM!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review