All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sushi question
      #83040 - 06/25/04 06:44 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

In the ethnic section of my grocery store I found that they have almost everything I need to make sushi! All right! My boyfriend nd I want to get the stuffs and try this weeked, only thing I am not sure of is what kind of rice to use. I am just about to graduate from quick minute rice (used the last of my stock pile) to the real stuff. Might be a pain til I get a rice cooker, though.
I want to try looking in an asian market, but haven't been to one yet. And I need to know what it's called!
ANyone know? Can I only get it at an Asian mart?
Thanks!
sheri

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sushi question new
      #83049 - 06/25/04 06:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Anywhere I've seen it, they just call it sushi rice. It's a short-grain rice, as far as I know, and so you might find it labelled as that... and here at our supermarket, it's right next to all the other sushi-making stuff, so it's pretty easy to find.

Don't be afraid of rice. It's pretty easy to cook. I'll let you in on a secret: I cook mine in the microwave. Not sure how that'll work for sushi rice, though, heh.

Now you have me wanting sushi, darnit!

Re: Sushi question new
      #84138 - 06/28/04 03:39 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I met a guy yesterday who makes his spam sushi (yeah, it's not my favorite) with jasmine rice. I think Cal Rose rice is the norm, though. I see rose rice at most groceries.

sperry_twiggins

Answer from a Japanese girl! new
      #84172 - 06/28/04 05:20 PM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

There is a rice called "Calrose Rice". It comes in different brands and lately I have seen it in the Asian sections of different grocery stores...even Wal-Mart! Do you have the rice vinegar? It is a must!

YUK! new
      #84174 - 06/28/04 05:20 PM
####

Re: YUK? new
      #84225 - 06/28/04 08:23 PM
sperry_twiggins

Are you saying yuck to spam sushi or jasmine rice?

I thought it was a joke the first time I saw spam sushi in Hawaii, but no... it's for real.

sperry_twiggins

I lived in Hawaii and have learned to hate SPAM! new
      #84313 - 06/29/04 08:33 AM
####

It's funny, I am going to my Philippino neighbors house for 4th of July and they asked me to make sushi...they are going to make a spam roll...with mayo...makes me wanna barf! I will be taking California rolls and musubi! Calrose rice is truly the best for sushi unless you can find sushi-rice. I can get sushi-rice but I use the Calrose.

Musubi? new
      #84389 - 06/29/04 10:54 AM
sperry_twiggins

What's that? And WHY do I read these boards just before lunch? They make me so HUNGRY!

sperry_twiggins

Re: Musubi? new
      #84561 - 06/29/04 04:54 PM
####

Musubi is a rice ball with a surprise in the middle. Generally it is a pickled plum or other vegetable. You can also mix salmon into the rice and form it into a ball. It makes a great lunch...don't put it in the firdge though. Refrigerators and Japanese rice don't mix.

The Japanese term is actually "onigiri"...musubi is the Hawaiian term. No matter the term...it's good stuff!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2470

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review