All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Yummy Chicken Stoganoff
      #81570 - 06/21/04 12:24 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

For Fathers Day I wanted to make a Stoganoff. I was not able to find one for chicken anywhere so I adapted a beef one. It turned out AWESOME. My family loved it and had seconds.

Chicken Stoganoff

3 good size chicken breast 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
8 0z mushrooms, sliced 1/2 tsp salt
2 med. onions, thinly sliced 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, finely chopped 1/4 cup soy margarine
1/4 cup flour 1 1/2 cups tofuti sour
supreme
3 cups cooked yolkless broad noodles

cut chicken across grain into about 1/2 inche strips
and put aside. Cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in marg in a large skillet over medium heat. stirring occasionally untill onions are tender. remove from skillet
Cook chicken in same skillet until no pink is seen. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, and the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour, stir into chicken mixture. Add onion mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sour supreme. heat until hot (don't boil) Serve over noodles.
Makes about 6 servings. Doubles easy also.

Gail

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yummy Chicken Stoganoff new
      #81595 - 06/21/04 01:14 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Gail, that does look delicious! Unfortunately, it also looks like it would be a lot more than 25% fat. If you want to reduce the fat you could use a LOT less margarine... possibly as little as 1 Tbsp to cook the veggies. You could also use drained soy yogurt in place of the high-fat Toffuti. Just some suggestions... thanks for sharing!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#81605 - 06/21/04 01:51 PM
Gail1

Reged: 09/04/03
Loc: Calgary, AB, Canada

Hi Kree, I only used about a tbsp of mar. I had thought that 1/4 cup would be to much for my tummy. I just put it down because of recipe accracy (sp?) I never thought of the soy yogurt to replace the toffutie. I will have to try that next time. Thanks Gail

Re: Yummy Chicken Stoganoff - Sounds Good new
      #81661 - 06/21/04 04:35 PM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

This sounds wonderful - I think I'll try the reduced fat version Kree suggested.

I am not a mushroom fan - wonder if zucchini or yellow squash would work???

Leigh

#335497 - 09/01/08 06:58 PM
carol1968

Reged: 08/08/08
Loc: cornwall ontario,canada

sounds yummy!! but what is toufuti sour supreme and what can i use as a substitute if i can't find it???

#335512 - 09/02/08 10:14 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Tofutti Sour Supreme is a soy-based sour cream substitute. Tofutti also makes "Better Than Sour Cream" which is another soy-based substitute. There may be other brands but I haven't seen them. You can look for soy substitutes at health food stores and at Whole Foods. I can sometimes get them in regular grocery stores. You could substitute unflavored soy yogurt if you can find that.

Here's a link to another stroganoff-type recipe. I love this one and it uses very, very little sour cream substitute which keeps the fat content lower:
Chicken Paprikash-Topped Potatoes

I serve it over noodles instead of baked potatoes.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 72 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11898

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review