All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Can someone recommend a BRAND of cranberry juice that does not...
      #79157 - 06/14/04 08:33 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

use HFCS (high fructose corn syrup)? Preferrably made with sugar and not just corn syrup as the sweetener. OR, does anyone make their own from fresh or frozen cranberries?

Thought I'd start using it more since I love the taste and can tolerate it a little more, but haven't bought any in ages and the only ones I've seen so far use HFCS...........ug...

Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can someone recommend a BRAND of cranberry juice that does not... new
      #79240 - 06/15/04 07:31 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I actually discovered a brand that sells 100% cranberry juice. It's called "Just Cranberry" and it's by Knudsen (not quite sure of the spelling). It is EXTREMELY tart, like makes your eyes cross. When I was on citrucel clear mix (I'm on acacia now) I used to add about 3 oz of Just Cranberry to a full glass of water + citrucel. It's also expensive, about $7 a bottle at Whole Foods in Manhattan. But, from what I've read about bladder health, we only need about 3oz a day, which is basically one swallow. If you can get that down once a day, you'll get a lot of the vitamins and benefits, without all the calories and HFCS from the cranberry juice cocktails. You might also want to use Just Cranberry in a smoothie or something if you're not tough enough to drink it straight.
Oh I think they also sell it as a concentrate in a small bottle, and that might be a cheaper alternative.
Also, check out Northland brand cranberry juice. I don't know if they use HFCS, but I do know that their cranberry juice cocktails are 27% cranberry juice, whereas the other cocktails use as little as 5 or 10 percent.
I hope this helps!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#79352 - 06/15/04 10:24 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Trader Joes sells 100 % cranberry on their brand. It does have the same problem that Amanda noted on her brand, it's really strong! There is even a note on the bottle saying that it is too strong for most people and to dillute it. I forget how many oz it is, but it was about $4- 5.00.

--------------------
-Sheri

Thank you Amanda!!! new
      #79355 - 06/15/04 10:26 AM
Kandee

Quote:

I actually discovered a brand that sells 100% cranberry juice. It's called "Just Cranberry" and it's by Knudsen Good BRAND..I love their stuff! (not quite sure of the spelling). It is EXTREMELY tart, like makes your eyes cross. ROTFL When I was on citrucel clear mix (I'm on acacia now) I used to add about 3 oz of Just Cranberry to a full glass of water + citrucel. It's also expensive, about $7 a bottle at Whole Foods in Manhattan. But, from what I've read about bladder health, we only need about 3oz a day, which is basically one swallow. If you can get that down once a day, you'll get a lot of the vitamins and benefits, without all the calories and HFCS from the cranberry juice cocktails. You might also want to use Just Cranberry in a smoothie or something if you're not tough enough to drink it straight. Actually, I was thinking, besides smooties, along the lines of a Cosmopolitan. .hee
Oh I think they also sell it as a concentrate in a small bottle, and that might be a cheaper alternative. My local HFS may have this so I'll check it out...I'd never thought of that idea.
Also, check out Northland brand cranberry juice. I don't know if they use HFCS, but I do know that their cranberry juice cocktails are 27% cranberry juice, whereas the other cocktails use as little as 5 or 10 percent. They just may have this at Trader Joes. I don't have access to a WF market where I am...darnit.
I hope this helps! Yes, Amanda...thank you......this is a HUGE help and tells me that at least I know there are options other than that yucky supermarket stuff. I never seem to get UTI's so that's not a player..I just like the taste. In the summer when I was a kid, we went to MN and my grandmother who lived there had her own cranberry bog.....what a treat!!! I also love the dried ones!!

Kandee

--------------------

#79359 - 06/15/04 10:28 AM
Kandee

Super.............that's what I'll get then, and dilute it and sweeten it as I need to.........

I LOVE TJ's..........what would we do without that store? Unfortunately the nearest is a 2 hr. drive away, but worth it....

Thanks Sheri

Kandee

--------------------

#79410 - 06/15/04 11:26 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey Kandee,
It looks like you've already gotten some really good suggestions, but I did of one other one. Now, I haven't had it in awhile and couldn't find a website on it to check the ingredients for sure, but Tropicana (the orange juice maker) makes a Cranberry Juice that I'm pretty sure was free of all that other stuff...but I would double check to be sure.

Kelly

OCEAN SPRAY...it's tart but it works! You have to get the 100% juice kind! new
      #79433 - 06/15/04 11:55 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Really? OCEAN SPRAY makes a 100 % juice one? I'll look for. Thanks.-nt- new
      #79526 - 06/15/04 02:43 PM
Kandee

--------------------

Thanks Kelly, I'll look for Tropicana's Cran juice and check the ingredients!-nt- new
      #79531 - 06/15/04 02:48 PM
Kandee

--------------------

Re: cranberry juice -- just juice new
      #79976 - 06/16/04 11:29 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Knudsen's Juice.
knudsenjuices.com

Re: Thank you Amanda!!! new
      #79992 - 06/16/04 12:31 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Glad I could help. I also have grown to enjoy the taste of pure cranberry juice, and I drink it even when I'm not worrying about UTI's. Haha by the way, when I got my first UTI, it was BRUTAL, and it lead to the single most awkward conversation I've ever had with my mother ... the poor thing ...
Anyway, have you ever had chocolate covered cranberries? They are my favorite bad snack ... I justify it by telling myself I am getting some good insoluable fiber. There is definitely some dairy in the chocolate coating, but in small amounts it doesn't seem to bother me. Mmmmm, so good!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Calling Bartender Kelly? new
      #80088 - 06/16/04 03:26 PM
Kandee

Kelly,

Do you think this would work for Cosmopolitans? (Shell posted a link to the recipe.) I'd love to make them but would think the sweeter kind of cran juice would be best, or am I all off base here?

Also, I printed out your Margarita recipe.........sounds fantastic!!!. I've always liked them over the rocks best.

But my fav in the whole world is a Margarita Damiani.......only in Mexico..........ever had them? In fact, give me a bottle of Damiani and I'm off to the races!! LOL

Gee, I'm sounding like a lush here...but never drank much anyway and only socially in the past........but just read that women who have a half a drink (how can you do just half a drink?) at night will have a lower rate of stroke and diabetes. I haven't had one drink in over a year and a half (since IBS) so this should prove intersting!!!

Kandee

--------------------

Have I had CCC's? You bet................. new
      #80112 - 06/16/04 05:12 PM
Kandee

and I absolutely love them. Oh yummm, chocolate covered cranberries...... We could only get them at holiday time and so I'd buy one big bag for then and 2 to ration out over the rest of the year. I wish I could remember the brand name. They were wonderful. Of course this all was before IBS and I didn't care if something had some milk in the milk chocolate at that time. I didn't even buy any this year.. Poooh. Maybe next year I'll try some.

What an awkward conversation to have with your mom is right. I was lucky. My mon would bring things up, out of the blue, that I didn't have a clue about at the time, but remembered for later use. Smart lady she was and I miss her.

How'd we get on this cranberry roll anyway........that's a winter fruit...........not summer!! care to talk about apricots?.............LOL

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Calling the Bartender new
      #80382 - 06/17/04 09:54 AM
KellyAndersson

Would Hansen's juice be good in a cosmopolitan? Absolutely. There's a steakhouse in Chico that serves a house special, Stoli vodka, cointreau, a squeeze of fresh lime, and just enough cranberry juice to give it a sunset color. Extremely delicious.

Wait a minute Kelly, Hansen's hasn't even been mentioned..... new
      #80399 - 06/17/04 10:39 AM
Kandee

Quote:

Would Hansen's juice be good in a cosmopolitan? Absolutely. There's a steakhouse in Chico that serves a house special, Stoli vodka, cointreau, a squeeze of fresh lime, and just enough cranberry juice to give it a sunset color. Extremely delicious.

Is it sweet? And what IS cointreau anyway? Could it possibly be made with HFCS?

Do you know the exact propotions of a good Cosmo?

Gosh that Cosmo sounds good. (Chico is a bit far for me to drive... )....But..There nothing like GOOD vodka!!!

Kandee

--------------------

When you make it to Trader Joe's... new
      #80503 - 06/17/04 01:42 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Just to reiterate what Sheri wrote, Trader Joe's sells their own "Just Cranberry." I bought it yesterday for 3.99--much cheaper than the other "Just Cranberry." It is so potent that I only need like a splash per glass of water!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: Wait a minute Kelly, Hansen's hasn't even been mentioned..... new
      #80877 - 06/18/04 03:42 PM
KellyAndersson

Yeah, Hansen's was what I typed, but Knudsen's was what I meant. Sorry!

Is the cosmo sweet? Well, it's not non-sweet like a martini, but it's a little sweet because of the cranberry juice and the cointreau. Cointreau (say it kwon-troe) is an orange-flavored liquere. Triple sec is almost like a SYRUP compared to cointreau, and tastes icky by comparison. Cointreau is brandy-based, and mildly bitter, unlike triple sec. No HFCS in cointreau.

Good cosmo ~~~ of course everyone does 'em different, but here's mine:

• 2 shots vodka
  • 1 shot cointreau
  • 3/4 shot fresh lime juice
  • Small splash cranberry juice, just enough to make it pink.

Another OLD standard is the Sidecar. (Gosh, now I'm dating myself.)

• 2 shots cointreau
  • 1 shot fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 shot cognac

:smirk: bottoms up!

Thanks Kelly, You're a world of information..........whenever I have a question new
      #81044 - 06/19/04 10:41 AM
Kandee

about liquor I know where to come!!!
Quote:

<html>Yeah, Hansen's was what I typed, but Knudsen's was what I meant. Sorry! We all have THOSE moments..lol.

Is the cosmo sweet? Well, it's not non-sweet like a martini, but it's a little sweet because of the cranberry juice and the cointreau. Cointreau (say it kwon-troe) I was wondering how it was pronounced. Now I won't look like an idiot when I ask for it. is an orange-flavored liquere. Triple sec is almost like a SYRUP compared to cointreau, and tastes icky by comparison. Cointreau is brandy-based, and mildly bitter, unlike triple sec. No HFCS in cointreau. Sounds good, especially since there's no HFCS!! I'll know what to expect now as far as the taste goes.

Good cosmo ~~~ of course everyone does 'em different, but here's mine:<ul>
  • 2 shots vodka
  • 1 shot cointreau
  • 3/4 shot fresh lime juice
  • Small splash cranberry juice, just enough to make it pink.[/LIST] Sounds WONDERFUL. I can't wait to try it, but I think at home first.

Another OLD standard is the Sidecar. (Gosh, now I'm dating myself.) <ul>
  • 2 shots cointreau
  • 1 shot fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 shot cognac
    [/LIST]
    bottoms up! Actually, the Cosmo sounds better to me. Hey, don't think twice about dating yourself. I remember when a "grasshopper" was my fav drink, then a "gold Cadilac".........hows that for dating one's self?

Kandee

--------------------

• Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
    0 registered and 136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
          You cannot post until you login
          You cannot reply until you login
          HTML is enabled
          UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7493

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review