All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Wheat free picnic!
      #73791 - 05/27/04 02:00 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Help! I'm going to the Chelsea Flower Show with my Gran tomorrow and I want to make a picnic, because (a) all the places to eat are busy and expensive and (b) chances of us both finding something to eat are slim.

My Gran doesn't eat wheat (she has very mild IBS), so loads of the things I would usually go for are out of the window! Any ideas very welcome. I've got to sort it out tonight.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pappadam new
      #73928 - 05/27/04 10:58 AM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi Linz,

I hope I'm not too late!

I might use pappadams as a cracker, and then put safe toppings on (like hummus or some other kind of dairy-free veggie-based goop). Pappadams have saved the day for me a few times.

I made a quinoa-based grain salad once that turned out very well, but of course I don't have the recipe. I think it had sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and some other bits of nuts & veggies in a kind of Italian dressing.

Have fun at the flower show!

sperry_twiggins

Re: Wheat free picnic! new
      #73969 - 05/27/04 12:48 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

What about making some kind of chicken salad? Your gram could always put it on some kind of wheat-free crackers (do you have any?) or just eat it alone and you could have it as a sandwich. You could even add apples and make it a waldorf... I love those. If you need a recipe let me know, I have a good one.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Beanthread Salad? new
      #73971 - 05/27/04 12:54 PM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

You could probably do stuff with rice also. Rice crackers, rice bread (they have this in CA but I don't know if you do in UK..), rice salad, etc...

Or beanthread salad (You should be able to get this in an asian grocery store. Beanthread is usually made from mung bean flour) You can add steamed veggies of your liking and add some soy cause, sugar, rice vinegar and a tiny dash of sesami oil (It will be kind of blah if you omit the little sesami oil). You can add a little hot mustard too if that suits your taste buds. Yum... Yeah, I think I will make it this weekend!

Tomo

Re: Wheat free picnic! new
      #74053 - 05/27/04 07:18 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Rice, rice noodles? Hummus with bread for you and veggies for her. Tuna salad with FF mayo, you can have it on bread, she can have it without.
Have fun!
AP
PS -- 3 weeks until I head to your side of the pond for the summer!

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Thanks new
      #74456 - 05/29/04 02:56 AM
Linz

Thanks everyone! Kree's Waldorf inspired me (tho I don't like apple in salads) to make a rice salad with some stuff I got from the deli - artichokes, roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes - and lemon juice. I also made potato salad and took rice cakes to have instead of bread. All very cool.

Re: Thanks new
      #74518 - 05/29/04 08:07 AM
Kree

Ooh, that rice salad sounds yummy, Linz! I'm glad it worked out so well for you. Did you have a good time at the show?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Chelsea Flower Show new
      #74531 - 05/29/04 08:29 AM
Linz

Yeah, it was really cool! Though next year, I'm going alone! My Gran kept on wandering off and then panicking when she couldn't find me! Well, doh! It was like going with a kid who you couldn't tell what to do!

I bought strawberry plants (they smell so good), some foxgloves (a total bargain), a terracotta pot for the strawberry plants and a new extra-large lavender heating pad. Plus, i got Simon a wooden sign that reads: "Never mind the dog, beware of the wife".

Re: Chelsea Flower Show new
      #74565 - 05/29/04 09:44 AM
Kree

Lol, I don't blame you for wanting to go alone next time! It does sound like you found some great stuff though. I love foxgloves!! And my mom loves lavender so I bet she'd be jealous of your heating pad.

BTW, I love the sign! That's hilarious!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4247

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review