All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
any requests?
      #6693 - 04/21/03 11:05 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Does anyone have any requests for recipes? I've got a huge collection of cookbooks and can probably find a recipe for nearly anything. Besides, any excuse not to do my schoolwork....
Amelia

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: any requests?Yes please!! new
      #6696 - 04/22/03 12:51 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Amelia,
I have a big bag of ground corn I bought and the date is coming up on it - can you suggest something like muffins or biscuits I could make? Or anything for that matter - I've never cooked it before so am not entirely sure how best to cook it. Thanks!
BTW, don't neglect your work for me!!!
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: any requests? new
      #6794 - 04/22/03 03:07 PM
Galwae

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

I would love to know how to make pretzels without wheat and yeast, since I'm sensitive to both. I miss pretzels alot and thought I would try to follow a gluten free recipe and just skip the yeast, but I'm afraid I'm heading for a disaster. What do you think?

Re: any requests?Yes please!! new
      #6800 - 04/22/03 04:18 PM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

Curious. Where did "tesslouise" come from if your name is Amelia, which by the way is one of my favorite names and if I ever had another little girl I would name her that.

I Second That Request For Ground Corn!-nt- new
      #6805 - 04/22/03 05:06 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

origin of screen name new
      #6827 - 04/22/03 06:21 PM
TessLouise

Remember, you asked for it...

Okay, so in high school I had a friend named Ariel. Her mother had only had two daughters, so she had all these names she would have used if she'd had more children. So Ariel's mother named Ariel's and my friends some of these names. It was like a game--you got a first name, such as Chloe, from Ariel's mom, then your middle name was your mom's middle name. Well, Ari's mom didn't name me anything, so my friend Jackie and I spent a car trip back from vacation in NC with her family thinking up a name for me. I really wanted "Heather"--no joke--but Jackie vetoed that, and finally we settled on Tess. Then Louise is my mom's middle name. And I've just used that as my screen name ever since. It's my e-mail address and it's my screen name here and anywhere else I'm online.

Whew. Aren't you glad you asked?

Re: I Second That Request For Ground Corn!-nt- new
      #6832 - 04/22/03 06:30 PM
TessLouise

Okay, y'all have stumped me with this one. Ground corn like grits? Like cornmeal? Like WHAT? If you can tell me exactly what you're dealing with, I'll look for recipes using it.
Amelia

Re: origin of screen name new
      #6843 - 04/22/03 07:27 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hey Amelia - I'm sure glad somebody else asked!!! LOL
sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6864 - 04/23/03 04:22 AM
ConcreteAngel

Thanks for sharin' that with us Amelia. I think everyones screen name is very unique to them (Even if it is just their first name)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6882 - 04/23/03 08:10 AM
SharonMello

Okay, missy, you're not getting off the hook that easy!! How about "Concrete Angel"? Where did that one come from?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6886 - 04/23/03 08:19 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That is very cool - it is so interesting how everyone comes up with their screen names.

I opted for my real name on this site - but normally my screen name is smilyprinzezz.

I love looking at everyones screen names in game rooms and everything - some of them are very good.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Re: My SN Origin new
      #6906 - 04/23/03 10:32 AM
ConcreteAngel

lol sharon, are you familiar with Martina McBride? She's a country western singer and I absolutly LOVE her!Anyway, she sings this one song, and its entitled "Concrete Angel" Its about a little girl who gets treated very poorly but overcomes it all. In the end, she dies from child abuse, but the whole song is really about overcoming and how to wind up on top when things seem so unfair and discouraging. Its a song about enpowerment and strenght. I love it! Its my favorite song!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Edited by ConcreteAngel (04/23/03 10:35 AM)

Beth new
      #6907 - 04/23/03 10:34 AM
ConcreteAngel

Beth,
Howd your screen name wind up being "Juniorrachel"?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: I Second That Request For Ground Corn! new
      #6913 - 04/23/03 11:22 AM
britsarah

Amelia,
Sorry for the confusion!
The bag I have says 'Fine Cornmeal', I thought that grits were the same as cornmeal/ground corn ?!?
I think it's the stuff you can make polenta from, although they also had that ready made in a sausage shape that you slice up. I'm good at picking up things I've never seen before to try, then they end up sitting in the cupboard LOL!
I hope you're not going to be too overwhelmed with requests now

Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Re: I Second That Request For Ground Corn! new
      #6918 - 04/23/03 11:43 AM
ConcreteAngel

I think sarahs right that cornmeal and grits are practically the same thing. Any recipe using cornmeal should be just fine

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6927 - 04/23/03 12:14 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

WOW! What a song to pull a name from! THat is a good way to look at it, especially with the condition that we have!

By the way, if anyone cares, my husband's name is Tom (t) and my name is Christianne (c). Our last name is Hawk, so there we are TNCHAWK....Cheesy, I know.

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#6930 - 04/23/03 12:18 PM
SharonMello

Geez, Angela, and I thought you were gonna say your name came about because NJ is mostly concrete!!!! LOL ROFL!!

Sharon

PS - Now, Remember, I can say that because I'm from NJ!

--------------------
Sharon

#6931 - 04/23/03 12:19 PM
SharonMello

Christianna - it really does help w/explanations. Now I can connect your real name when I see your logon name.

There's no guessing when it comes to my logon.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6953 - 04/23/03 02:06 PM
britsarah

Mine too - 3 guesses where I got the 'brit' and the 'sarah' from ! Kind of wish I'd shown a bit more initiative now!!
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

three cornbread recipes new
      #6960 - 04/23/03 02:23 PM
TessLouise

Cornbread Loaf

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unbleached white flour (or use all unbleached white flour)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites, beaten
1/2 cup plain soy milk
2 tablespoons olive oil

Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl blend egg, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients. Pour into a greased 8-by-4-by-2-inch loaf pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from the pan and serve warm. Serves 2.
--adapted from CookFor1R2@egroups.com, submitted by slemon@lisco.net

Strawberry Cornbread

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 cup soured plain soy milk
2 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup seedless strawberry jam

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9-inch-square pan. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt in a large shallow bowl until mixture is well blended; make a well in the center. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the egg whites, soured plain soy milk, and melted butter. Pour milk mixture into well, and stir the ingredients together just until evenly moistened; do not overmix; batter should be lumpy. Spoon batter into prepared baking pan, spreading evenly into corners with rubber spatula. With a spoon, drop strawberry jam in dollops over the top of the batter, spacing them evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
--adapted from http://www.grannyskitchen.com/bread2.htm#STRAW

Skillet Corn Bread

1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
2 1/4 cups soy milk or water
1/4 cup oil

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put an oiled 10-inch iron skillet in oven to heat. Mix the dry ingredients well, stir in the milk and oil. You can use sour milk, but use 1 teaspoon baking soda instead of 1 teaspoon baking powder. Pour into the hot skillet and bake 30 minutes on the top shelf. You can run it under the broiler for a browner top. Cut into wedges and serve hot from the oven (or take out of the pan and reheat later). 8 wedges.
--_The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook_

polenta and two toppings new
      #6962 - 04/23/03 02:25 PM
TessLouise

This is what _Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_ has to say about polenta: "Cooked polenta can be topped with pasta sauce, sauteed or steamed vegetables, or cooked beans. It is often used as a stuffing and can be broiled or fried. It's lovely sprinkled with grated cheese. Polenta makes a delicious alternative to potatoes or rice."

I've only made it in the microwave, as below, but I'll type up the stovetop directions if you want. I've made the mushroom gravy and the black beans and both are good.

Polenta

To make 2 cups of polenta: In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook in microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave on Medium for an additional 8 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Remove the polenta from the microwave, and let it rest for 5 minutes. The polenta should be the consistency of pudding. If it appears watery, microwave for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
--adapted from _Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_

Mushroom Gravy

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon flour
2/3 cup white or red wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pepper

Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet on medium or medium-low heat. Saute the onion and thyme for 6 minutes; stir occasionally. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute on medium heat until the mushrooms soften, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes. If the skillet becomes dry before the mushrooms are soft, add 1 tablespoon of water and continue cooking.

When the mushrooms are soft, add the flour and stir for a moment, then add the wine and soy sauce. Simmer on medium-high, stirring until the sauce thickens, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

Serve the polenta topped with gravy. Pepper to taste. Yield: 2 servings.
--_Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_

Black Beans

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced or ready-cut tomatoes, undrained
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
Grated soy Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Saute on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the tomatoes and beans. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer the bean mixture while you prepare the polenta.

Serve beans and polenta side by side. Sprinkle with soy Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if you desire. Yield: 2 to 3 servings.
--_Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_

Re: Beth new
      #6963 - 04/23/03 02:27 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

junior: stems from a few things. i used to like this cartoon thing called "veggie tales" and one of the characters is named "junior asparagus" and he's cute and little and cool. ;-) also, my exboyfriend (before we dated) was a freshman in h.s. when i was a junior. and i'd bug him about being a freshman, so he started calling me 'junior' in retort. also, i'm little (4'11"), so it kind of fits.

rachel: used to be my name, before i was adopted. rachel elizabeth brown, to be exact. it was a long time ago, and i don't remember it, but i still feel like "rachel" is part of who i am... kind of a link back to my history.

so there you go.

beth

Edited by juniorrachel (04/23/03 02:31 PM)

#6966 - 04/23/03 02:32 PM
Lana_Marie

LOL - Me too Britsarah - everyone has these cool names - mine is so blah.

I'm not even signing my name on the bottom of this post LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#6981 - 04/23/03 03:06 PM
SharonMello

Lana, Mags, Angela and whoever has a "thing" below their names at the end of their posts--HOW DO YA DO THAT??? Do you have to type it every time or do you have a little macro set up somewhere????? AMERICA WANTS TO KNOW!!! LOL

Sharon

"chocolate"...that is all! (see...I have to type this every darn time and I'm getting tired of it--even tho I type fast, it's a pain in the fanny!

--------------------
Sharon

#6984 - 04/23/03 03:11 PM
Lana_Marie

YAY - I GET TO TEACH THE RECIPE QUEEN SOMETHING.

This is my moment in the sun .....ahhhh...big breath.

OK - Ready!

You go into your MyHome and then edit your personal information. In the signature box...just enter your signature. (your name and the comment)

Then after you post it will appear underneath, you don't have to do anything else other than that.

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Edited by Lana_Marie (04/23/03 03:13 PM)

Re: polenta and two toppings new
      #6986 - 04/23/03 03:24 PM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I have made the mushroom gravy and it is sooooooooo good. If you like mushrooms at all you must make this gravy. At one point last summer I made it every week.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#6988 - 04/23/03 04:19 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Our household loves Veggie Tales!!

#7005 - 04/23/03 05:20 PM
ConcreteAngel

I Love Veggie Tales too. Thats pretty cool that your adopted,Beth. It'd be interesting though if you knew whether or not any of your biological relatives have ibs too. My grandfather had stomach ulcers and ibs, and my aunt has ulcerative colitis. My mother supposingly has "ibs" but it comes and goes and she can eat anything she wants on an antispasmotic shes on.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: three cornbread recipes new
      #7006 - 04/23/03 05:25 PM
ConcreteAngel

OOh OOh, Amelia, These sound soooooooooo good! I have off tomorrow and im gonna most indefinitly try one, ill let you know how it turns out Thanks again.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7010 - 04/23/03 06:17 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

My nickname is Larry, so I opted for Laurie. I often get confused for being male if I use Larry. Imagine that, lol.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7018 - 04/23/03 07:04 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

For my very first internship I was the second Heather in the department. My next job, again, second Heather in my department (that is where H2 came from, this second job). Third job, again, second Heather.

And here I am on the IBS message boards, and guess who was here before me? Guess I am H2 again.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7020 - 04/23/03 07:27 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi tess; Iam looking for ibs safe(if they exist) recipes and some other salmon recipes,of course, ibs friendly. thanks.

#7022 - 04/23/03 07:52 PM
jst4kdz

Reged: 03/10/03
Loc: Burlington, Ontario Canada

I drive a Ford Windstar with my 2 kids and my licence plate is JST4KDZ. My husband and the children gave it to me for my 30th. Plus I am an ECE teacher, so again very appropriate for me.

#7023 - 04/23/03 08:00 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

yeah, i really wish i knew my bio family... for lots of reasons. but it would be nice to know if it's an inherited thing. who knows?

i haven't watched a veggie tales in the longest time... the old ones were SO much better, though. i kind of lost interest around "Madame Blueberry" - it just wasn't as funny as some of the old school ones, like "Dave and and Giant Pickle". agreed?

beth

Re: Agreed! -nt- new
      #7033 - 04/24/03 04:48 AM
ConcreteAngel

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7035 - 04/24/03 05:31 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I worked at a florist for five 1/2 years. My friends and coworkers decided that Joy was too easy so they debated between lovejoy and joystick. Obviously I chose lovejoy. The 22 came when I worked as a deputy at the county sheriff's department. I was S-22. That job didn't last very long, but I kept the name. It was appropriate though because I was 22 when I worked there.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#7038 - 04/24/03 06:16 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

That was the worst, mainly because they got rid of silly songs with Larry in that one, but some of the newer ones are good. I like Lyle the Kindly Vicking and King George and the Duckie is cute. The Jonah movie is the best we watch it almost everyday. My youngest daughter was 2 1/2 when we went to the theater to see Jonah and that girl could not turn away, she was glued.

Re: My SN Origin - Lana Marie - it worked!!! -nt- new
      #7049 - 04/24/03 07:15 AM
SharonMello

--------------------
Sharon

#7071 - 04/24/03 11:03 AM
TessLouise

IBS-safe recipes for WHAT, exactly? I'm afraid I haven't got any salmon recipes or I'd have posted them when you requested them before. But IBS-safe recipes for WHAT? I've posted all sorts of recipes and so has Sharon and everyone else. What category have we missed?

#7102 - 04/24/03 03:24 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

salads-if there is such a thing- would be a change from sandwiches.

Re:Funny no one has asked me that one! LOL -nt- new
      #7131 - 04/24/03 07:35 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: any requests? veggie won ton soup new
      #7136 - 04/24/03 09:17 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

I've been (desperately) looking for a recipe for vegetarian won ton soup. it doesn't have to be vegan, just vegetarian...and of course ibs safe. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

amy

Re: any requests? veggie won ton soup new
      #7140 - 04/24/03 10:13 PM
steather

Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi there... I dont have too extensive of a cookbook collection, but did look online and found a couple of sites for veggie won ton soup...

At this site, they recommend a veggie won ton soup with noodles (the gal actually adapted a meat recipe by replacing with tofu...but everything here seems pretty IBS safe, and they use cornstarch and water for the "glue" to hold the won tons together) http://regency.estarcion.com/~mt/gastronome/archives/000777.html

Also, at this site, they have another variation of veggie won ton soup...just click on the "won ton soup" link...it will direct you to refer to the "crispy won tons" link for the won ton manufacturing It seems pretty IBS safe, except you might want to leave the bok choy/ cabbage out since it only boils for 2-3 minutes (or else cook it for a really long time to make it more soluble)
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/6927/chin.html

And last but not least, this one sounds really good, except for the use of egg in sealing the won tons (I would use the cornstarch and water as recommended in the site above).
http://vegetarian.about.com/library/soups/blwontonsoup.htm

And for those of us who would rather not assemble 25 little intricate works of art, (from what I've read on this board, this would be right up Lana Marie's alley - you can just use a can of veggie broth and throw in some low fat veggie pot stickers from Trader Joe's (if they happen to be in your area) and some cut up scallions....This sounds to me just as delish and more suited to my lifestyle...plus I love Trader Joes!!

Bon appetit

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

two pasta salads new
      #7145 - 04/24/03 11:13 PM
TessLouise

Besides the two pasta salads below, try searching for rice salads--I posted at least one for Kerrie awhile back with some suggestions for changes to make it IBS-safe. Good luck!

Sorry about the weird measurements below, this recipe was cut down from a much larger one passed down from the local health food store. Just eye the measurements, it's not an exact science . Depending on your tummy, you could leave out the scallions, sesame seeds, and/or garlic. (I know I can't have sesame seeds.) And be sure to steam the carrots really well.

Udon Noodles

1 pound udon noodles
1/4 cup tamari (= soy sauce)
2 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
1 1/3 teaspoons maple syrup
1/3 teaspoon powdered ginger
1/3 teaspoon salt
2/3 carrot, peeled, sliced, and steamed
2/3 cup scallions, sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
2/3 teaspoon minced garlic

Cook noodles and drain. Toss with remaining ingredients. Cool in refrigerator until ready to eat.
--The Farmacy (the health food store in my hometown)

Cuscus Estivo (Summer Couscous with Herbs)

2 cups water
Salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter (I don't see why you couldn't leave this out)
10 ounces plain couscous
1/2 cup freshly chopped mint leaves
1/4 cup freshly chopped basil leaves
12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper

In a medium saucepan, bring the water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and butter to a boil. Stir in the couscous. Cover the pan, remove from the heat, and let rest for 10 minutes.

Remove the cover and fluff the couscous with a fork. Stir in the mint and basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, oil, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss well. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes.

Toss the mixture again and serve at room temperature. Serves 4.
--_Sicilian Home Cooking_

lol, of corse not, the force is always with you!-nt- new
      #7180 - 04/25/03 06:17 AM
ConcreteAngel

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re:Funny no one has asked me that one! LOL -nt- new
      #7198 - 04/25/03 07:03 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

If it means that you have met Harrison Ford, I will be jealous! ( Just kidding!) I have loved him since Star Wars!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

I'll Bite! new
      #7295 - 04/25/03 12:16 PM
Lana_Marie

Ok Miss HanSolo - what up with the name Baby!

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Re: I'll Bite! new
      #7383 - 04/25/03 07:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

I'm a fanatical Star Wars Fan and Harrison Ford is one of my favourite actors. I'm definitely not a Princess ... so it had to be Han. I wanted to be Yoda, but I'm just not that wise or powerful. Chewie's too tall - I'm short. Luke is well... Luke. 3PO and R2 are robots, so ... enough details for you?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50311

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review