All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
polenta and two toppings new
      #6962 - 04/23/03 02:25 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

This is what _Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_ has to say about polenta: "Cooked polenta can be topped with pasta sauce, sauteed or steamed vegetables, or cooked beans. It is often used as a stuffing and can be broiled or fried. It's lovely sprinkled with grated cheese. Polenta makes a delicious alternative to potatoes or rice."

I've only made it in the microwave, as below, but I'll type up the stovetop directions if you want. I've made the mushroom gravy and the black beans and both are good.

Polenta

To make 2 cups of polenta: In a 1-quart microwavable bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 cups water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook in microwave on High for 5 minutes. Stir, then microwave on Medium for an additional 8 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Remove the polenta from the microwave, and let it rest for 5 minutes. The polenta should be the consistency of pudding. If it appears watery, microwave for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
--adapted from _Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_

Mushroom Gravy

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tablespoon flour
2/3 cup white or red wine
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Pepper

Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet on medium or medium-low heat. Saute the onion and thyme for 6 minutes; stir occasionally. Add the mushrooms and continue to saute on medium heat until the mushrooms soften, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes. If the skillet becomes dry before the mushrooms are soft, add 1 tablespoon of water and continue cooking.

When the mushrooms are soft, add the flour and stir for a moment, then add the wine and soy sauce. Simmer on medium-high, stirring until the sauce thickens, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat.

Serve the polenta topped with gravy. Pepper to taste. Yield: 2 servings.
--_Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_

Black Beans

1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced or ready-cut tomatoes, undrained
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
Grated soy Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme. Saute on medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the tomatoes and beans. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer the bean mixture while you prepare the polenta.

Serve beans and polenta side by side. Sprinkle with soy Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley if you desire. Yield: 2 to 3 servings.
--_Student's Vegetarian Cookbook_

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Beth new
      #6963 - 04/23/03 02:27 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

junior: stems from a few things. i used to like this cartoon thing called "veggie tales" and one of the characters is named "junior asparagus" and he's cute and little and cool. ;-) also, my exboyfriend (before we dated) was a freshman in h.s. when i was a junior. and i'd bug him about being a freshman, so he started calling me 'junior' in retort. also, i'm little (4'11"), so it kind of fits.

rachel: used to be my name, before i was adopted. rachel elizabeth brown, to be exact. it was a long time ago, and i don't remember it, but i still feel like "rachel" is part of who i am... kind of a link back to my history.

so there you go.

beth

Edited by juniorrachel (04/23/03 02:31 PM)

Re: My SN Origin new
      #6966 - 04/23/03 02:32 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

LOL - Me too Britsarah - everyone has these cool names - mine is so blah.

I'm not even signing my name on the bottom of this post LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#6981 - 04/23/03 03:06 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Lana, Mags, Angela and whoever has a "thing" below their names at the end of their posts--HOW DO YA DO THAT??? Do you have to type it every time or do you have a little macro set up somewhere????? AMERICA WANTS TO KNOW!!! LOL

Sharon

"chocolate"...that is all! (see...I have to type this every darn time and I'm getting tired of it--even tho I type fast, it's a pain in the fanny!

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6984 - 04/23/03 03:11 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

YAY - I GET TO TEACH THE RECIPE QUEEN SOMETHING.

This is my moment in the sun .....ahhhh...big breath.

OK - Ready!

You go into your MyHome and then edit your personal information. In the signature box...just enter your signature. (your name and the comment)

Then after you post it will appear underneath, you don't have to do anything else other than that.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Edited by Lana_Marie (04/23/03 03:13 PM)

Re: polenta and two toppings new
      #6986 - 04/23/03 03:24 PM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I have made the mushroom gravy and it is sooooooooo good. If you like mushrooms at all you must make this gravy. At one point last summer I made it every week.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

#6988 - 04/23/03 04:19 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Our household loves Veggie Tales!!

#7005 - 04/23/03 05:20 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I Love Veggie Tales too. Thats pretty cool that your adopted,Beth. It'd be interesting though if you knew whether or not any of your biological relatives have ibs too. My grandfather had stomach ulcers and ibs, and my aunt has ulcerative colitis. My mother supposingly has "ibs" but it comes and goes and she can eat anything she wants on an antispasmotic shes on.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: three cornbread recipes new
      #7006 - 04/23/03 05:25 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

OOh OOh, Amelia, These sound soooooooooo good! I have off tomorrow and im gonna most indefinitly try one, ill let you know how it turns out Thanks again.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7010 - 04/23/03 06:17 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

My nickname is Larry, so I opted for Laurie. I often get confused for being male if I use Larry. Imagine that, lol.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review