All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Losing weight ASAP
      #6365 - 04/17/03 05:16 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Before I new I had IBS I was a size 5/6 now I'm a size 9. Since the IBS diet is high in carbs I have been gaining and gaining weight. I can't lose weight. Since I have IBS I have no choice but to stick with a high carb diet. Anyone have any tips on how to lose weight? I eat 6 very small meals since I have so much gas so I'm always so full. I can't do yoga I tried and had to stop since I'm too sick. I eat a low fat diet. I eat french bread, baked pretzels, applesauce, etc. French bread is the main part of my meals since it helps me and prevents severe attacks. I make chocolate cookies from the book " Eating for IBS". The recipe has some canola oil in it since it's high in fat can I use another oil that is lower in fat and that will taste good? Does anyone know if part of the weight gain is from retaining water? Do some people with IBS retain water? I can't exercise alot since I have severe IBS. I do some like stair climbing, baking, walking around the condo. I ordered Citrucel last week since it's not sold in Canada. Will that help me lose weight since it will help me have bowel movements daily since I get constipated a lot? I wish it would come already. I ordered Tuesday or Wednesday! It sure takes long!
Thanks for the help
God Bless

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Losing weight ASAP new
      #6373 - 04/17/03 07:16 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

I AM HAVING TROUBLE LOSING WEIGHT AS WELL. I am trying to eat as much seafood as I can tolerate, as well as cutting bsck on too many sauce dishes,ie;linguni etc. I understand that portions are really the key to the diet.

#6376 - 04/17/03 07:43 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angel - You are too sick right now to think about losing weight. You need to get your IBS under control and be pain and gas free before considering changing your diet for weight loss.

Any oil is 100% fat but canole is probably the safest. If you want to cut out the oil from the cookie recipe, substitute applesauce, but they might not turn out the same. They might taste okay, tho.

Do you have D or C? It sounds like you have C and that could be the reason for weight gain. If you put food in and it doesn't come out...The citrucel will probably help you get rid of the C but it probably will take a week or so to click in. Did you tell whoever you ordered it from that you needed it ASAP? Where's it coming from?

Hope this helped a little. Try to get feeling better before trying to lose weight. I think that feeling better is much more important than your dress size.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6380 - 04/18/03 02:21 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hi!

Sharon gave some REALLY GOOD advice. Your first step should be to feel better - then worry about shedding the weight.

I've started Weight Watchers online and its really helping me! I've nearly lost 10 lbs already and its the first weight I've lost in nearly 5 years. I still have the high carb diet for my IBS but I'm balancing it out with the Weight Watchers. Its a really great program - worth checking out.

Good Luck!

#6381 - 04/18/03 04:53 AM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

I had the same problem up to a year ago (which is when I found Heather's book). I would keep up the walking, but at a slow rate, maybe a little longer. Exercise will help start a bm. Do you limit the amount of sodium in your diet? I use to have a lot of water retention due to this and cut out all prepared foods. Heather's book also recommends Fibercon pills, which are great! They are in pill form and don't have any after taste. I also decided to see an acupunturist to help reduce stress (my main trigger)and strengthen my systems. If you are not comfortable with the needles (it doesn't hurt at all) you might be able to try accupressure, which is no needles.
Once I felt better I started shedding weight like crazy (about 30 lbs). I think this happened because I didn't need to eat so much bread items. Hope this helps!

#6420 - 04/18/03 05:24 PM
till

I have mainly C but sometimes get a little D. I always worry about my weight. I always have. I know that the bloating has made my waist huge. Next time I make cookies I will make it will applesauce and see how it comes out. The recipe says to use 1/4 c. of canola oil so should I use 1/4 c. applesauce or more? I'm gettin Citrucel from EastNorwalk, CT. I didn't ask for rush delivery since it would cost more I think. It's really exspensive already. I order 2 containers and it came to over 100 dollars!!
Thanks
God Bless

#6441 - 04/19/03 01:08 AM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

yeah, i really know what you mean! i went shopping with my mom today and didn't fit in size 7 jeans! (yeah that doesn't sound bad to most, but when you're only 4'11", 130 lbs is overweight, so a 7 is about as big as i should be, ugh)

i blame myself for not exercising enough. i just got some yoga tapes and a mat finally, though, so i have no excuse now. i'm actually thinking about splurging and getting this video game called "Dance Dance Revolution (DDR)" because basically what it is is a game you play with your feet. you have to move them in time (on a pad on the ground) with the arrows on the screen, and you "dance", starting slow at level one, and then working up as you get better. i know some of my friends play it and it can be quite a workout! :-) and it's fun!

let me know how things are going for you... and i agree with everyone else. feel better before you start worrying about losing weight. but i know exercise is good for your emotional health, which really affects your digestive health, too...

so anyway, do whatever you can to be REALLY GOOD to your body and your mind. whatever makes you feel best! :-)

beth

Re: Gaining weight ASAP new
      #6443 - 04/19/03 05:24 AM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

I'd do anything to actually want to lose weight.I am 5'7, and only weigh 105 pounds! Ever since i was 13 i have been on an endless struggle to keep my weight up. Even when I didnt have ibs though, i only weighed 113 (and that was when i ate everything and anything)! My mom is 5'4 and only weighs about 100 though, so i guess it runs in the family.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Losing weight ASAP - juniorrachel new
      #6447 - 04/19/03 06:59 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Beth,
My daughter has a dance mat that we plug into the tv and believe me it's great fun. Talk about a workout!
sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: Gaining weight -- I'm so Jealous! -nt- new
      #6451 - 04/19/03 07:35 AM
SharonMello

Angela - I guess I'm just too short for my weight. If I was about 3" taller, I'd be perfect!!!! LOL

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6591 - 04/20/03 05:56 PM
till

Gaining weight is way easier than losing. Weeks and weeks ago I was struggling to gain weight I was I think 94 or 95. Now all these carbs are making me bigger. Now I'm 115. I need to get down to 110. I think I might be 5'5. I haven't measured myself in a while. Before this IBS diet it was easier to lose weight. I wasn't eating all these carbs. When I was 13, 14 , and 15yrs old I could eating anything and didn't have to worry. I miss that alot.

#6592 - 04/20/03 05:59 PM
till

I made cookies with applesauce instead. It was horrible. They went in the garbage. I guess I have to stick to canola.

#6594 - 04/20/03 06:50 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Angel,
I know we don't always see ourselves accurately--I just wanted to point out that 115 pounds is a fine weight for someone who is 5'5". I mean, I'm 5'2" and I weigh 125 and I'm not exactly obese . As everyone else has been saying, I think you need to focus on feeling better, not on losing weight.
Amelia

#6598 - 04/20/03 07:07 PM
SharonMello

Angel - was that $100 US or Canadian? Whew, that's a lot. BTW, why were the cookies so horrible???

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6812 - 04/22/03 05:36 PM
till

For me 115lbs. is way too much. It shows on me. Since I can't work out alot since I'm really sick I have more fat than muscle sadly plus my stomache is really swollen so I look like I'm huge.

#6815 - 04/22/03 05:41 PM
till

It came to 142.72 I think in Canada money. The cookies were horrible because I used applesauce instead of canola oil. I'm not going to make the cookies anymore. Canola oil has too much fat. I really don't need anymore.

#6817 - 04/22/03 05:42 PM
ConcreteAngel

Angel,
I would LOVE to be 115 pounds!! This 107 thing is just not working for me, hehe. Skinny Minnie has to go!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6819 - 04/22/03 05:47 PM
till

I limit my salt but it's hard since there is no usalted potato chips, corn chips, and pretzels here. I read in a magazine that taking a bath once a week with a cup of table salt will help keep you from retaining water so I started doing that this week. I heard about accupressure. That would be pricey here and I can't leave my condo since I really sick. I can hardly walk. I can't help it. That's great you lost weight. Good for you.
Thanks

#6820 - 04/22/03 05:49 PM
ConcreteAngel

Angel,
what is retaining water and what does it have to with weight?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6849 - 04/22/03 07:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

I second what Tess was saying. Too much or too little weight is relative. I think that if you start to feel better, it will take care of itself. Even light exercise can help I find. Try a walk around the block once a day. It doesn't have to be complicated to work! How about gardening? Anything!
Another idea to toss around - Carbs always get blamed for weight gain. Sometimes, totally justified. Heather had mentioned some stuff on the other board (hit search) about losing weight. Soluble fiber supplements can decrease the amount of carbs you need to stay stable.
My point I was getting to is, try not to see carbs as the lone culprit. If I stick (pun not intended) to carbs and staying on the diet, I don't gain. It's when I start sneaking in no nos that are high in fat, etc. that I do. I'm not saying that you are, but it's just something to think about.
Sometimes, I think that carbs get too bad a rap. Not just for gaining weight, but as "BAD" foods and that we're supposed to only eat whole wheat. Facing the facts, we can't. But that's another story.
Hope my ramblings made sense. I know it's depressing to gain weight, but it's also very depressing feeling bad. Focus on feeling better and then worry about the weight. Worrying won't help you feel better, sweetie!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#6850 - 04/22/03 07:46 PM
SharonMello

HS - speaking of feeling better, how's our resident pregnant mom doing??? Haven't seen you posting much, and was wondering if everything was okay.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Pregnant Mom Eats Grocery Store Out of Business new
      #6851 - 04/22/03 07:49 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Preggy Mom is doing great and eating like a horse. IBS is well under control - thanks to babe pushing on my digestive system. I've been sneaking no-no's! I'm in that yucky stage where none of my pants fit but I'm certainly not showing enough to don the inflatable wear. Little pot belly. Baby started kicking last week and ultrasound is May 5. Poll on whether it's a boy or girl???
I'm 19 weeks now - almost half way!
Thanks for the checkup, love.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#6871 - 04/23/03 07:25 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I used to be 115 lbs... 3 desk jobs ago. Getting back down there is my goal.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

Re: Pregnant Mom Eats Grocery Store Out of Business new
      #6880 - 04/23/03 08:06 AM
SharonMello

HS - keep up the good work, but don't eat all the grocery stores out of their stock!!! LOL

Glad you're feeling good. I've never been pregnant so I have no idea of what you're going thru (and I have no desire to find out first-hand--even if I could!) LOL

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12786

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review