All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help
      #6071 - 04/14/03 05:12 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I have severe IBS and I don't know what to do. I can't get it under control. I can't even work!!! I really need a job. What kind of life is this??? What would everyone do in my situation. I suffer endlessly each day. I just want to die so it will all end. It's like a never ending nightmare!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help new
      #6091 - 04/14/03 10:26 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Angel,

I really lean towards natural therapy in 99% of cases which is why I'm hesitating to suggest this. You sound very depressed and that worries me a lot. I think I have been somewhere close to where you are, your words sound familiar.

When I got to that stage my husband practically dragged me to the car and back to our GP. He diagnosed me as suffering from depression as well as the IBS and suggested I try an anti-depressant (fluoxetine) which is helpful for IBS C as well as the depression itself. I was reluctant but he actually said I was close to needing hospitalisation for the depression and I didn't want that.

Well to cut a long story short, it really helped. My IBS improved dramatically and my mood and ability to cope with it all changed so much for the better.

I am off of them now by choice and I'm not into taking prescription drugs at all but I think there ia time and place for them and they certainly helped me out of a black hole. I don't know how you feel about it but it might help you. It took about 6 weeks before they really started to help but once they did it was great.

Have you read about the IBS audio program, on the hypnotherapy board? I have ordered it and am hoping to have a good response from that - many have. There is a huge link between brain and gut (good articles on the hypnotherapy board) and I believe the audio program could work due to this.

All the best,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#6094 - 04/14/03 11:54 PM
Georgette

Reged: 04/10/03
Loc: Kamloops B.C.

Hi Angel
I think I know some of what you are feeling. I've been in a lot of pain and desperate for anything to work. I've been drinking a lot of fennel tea and peppermint tea and have changed my diet which I never saw myself doing, but the pain got worse so I've cut out caffeine, dairy, red meat, pork and fried foods. It's been about 10 days and I feel a little better. I hope that some of this helps. I feel really bad for you and wish there was more I could do.
Georgette

#6095 - 04/15/03 12:05 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Angel,
I feel really bad for you, all we can do is tell you we're here for you and advise you the best we can.
If you could cut your diet right down to the basics for a few days, I find if I get into a loop of bad stomachs that really helps. Everyone has their own triggers but most people seem to find well cooked rice, plain chicken breast, bananas, applesauce work well for them. I will just eat rice all day long with my soluble fibre supplement as well if I'm feeling bad. Also very small amounts but eat often.
I know this is the same as everyone suggests, but it really does seem to work. It might help you feel a bit more in control of your body as well, which is important - it may not always do as you say, but you're the one in charge here - feed it well and feel in control! (makes me much more confident to feel like that!)

Best wishes, I'll be praying for you to improve soon
-hugs-
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#6105 - 04/15/03 06:15 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hello and welcome. So sorry you're feeling so awful and I understand your frustration. 1. See a Doctor NOW. If they can't help, see another one. Are you officially diagnosed? It is important to have the proper diagnosis.
2. You are in the right place. This website is full of suggestions on how to feel better. As is The First Year IBS (Blue and white icon at the top). Read everything you can - especially the FAQ section and Dietary Guidelines. Hit the search button and look for specific topics you were wondering about. Finally, post any questions you have. We're all in this together. This is a very supportive board and the people here are full of helpful suggestions. Take care, and take heart. It is possible to feel better.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#6136 - 04/15/03 12:56 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

i agree with hans suggestion to go to a doctor.Are you ibs-c or d? the best thing to do is get a proper diagnosis and get more serious ailments elimintated. if your ibs-d (like me) Maybe try an antismasmotic. Im on Levsin and it really has helped.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6140 - 04/15/03 01:28 PM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

I'm sorry to hear you are feeling so badly. When my doctor diagnosed me with IBS he said that he also felt I had alot of anxiety and possibly a little depression. Just for a natural approach, you can combine (in the morning)1500mg DL-phenylalanine, 500mg Vitamin C, 100mg B-6 and (in the evening) 500mg Vitamin C and 100mg B-6. I have already been able to see a difference in my ability to focus and stay calm. I could also tell an immediate change in my energy level. I just prefer natural over everything else. I hope you get to feeling better.
canyontinsley

#6283 - 04/16/03 05:20 PM
till

I already seen doctors last year. I know I have IBS for sure. I can't get it under control. It seems impossible.

#6284 - 04/16/03 05:24 PM
till

I haven't read about the IBS program. Thanks for the suggestion.

#6286 - 04/16/03 05:26 PM
till

I don't eat pork, fried foods, etc. but I'm still in agony. I can hardly type.

#6287 - 04/16/03 05:29 PM
till

I eat 6 mini meals a day. I eat french bread, applesauce, etc. but I'm still in a great deal of pain. I hate everyday.
Thanks I'll pray for you too.

#6288 - 04/16/03 05:32 PM
till

I do have IBS for sure. I've seen 2 doctors and had tests that were torture. This suffering will not end for some reason.

#6290 - 04/16/03 06:07 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angel - exactly what do your mini meals consist of besides applesauce and french bread?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Edited by SharonMello (04/16/03 06:08 PM)

#6325 - 04/17/03 10:12 AM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I agree that you should definitely seek out another doctor. It's unclear from your post if you are still under a physician's care. A good doctor is not going to leave you feeling this sick without any options. When I first got diagnosed with IBS, it had come to the point where I couldn't keep water down or get out of bed I was so sick. I needed medication in the beginning to keep anything down. I know it's hard when you are not feeling well, but I've found that I need to be forceful with doctors to take my symptoms seriously. Thankfully now I have a very understanding doctor. And just because you have IBS doesn't mean there isn't anything else going on too. I also have Crohn's disease. Sometimes I think that when a doctor finds one thing they stick with it. When I got really sick they were ready to put me on stronger medication for my Crohn's. Thank god they did a colonoscopy first and discovered my symptoms had nothing to do with my Crohn's. And the tests aren't always accurate either. I've had a number of tests repeated because they have either shown things that weren't really there or sometimes missed things that were. Six months ago I never would have believed I would feel better, but finally I do. It's definitely something that's always with me, but at least I feel more control over it.

Re: Help - Angel new
      #6397 - 04/18/03 09:02 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi again!
Are you feeling any better today? I've had a bad week but am lucky that it seems to be under control the majority of the time. I'm sorry that you suffer so much with this - have you read the other posts about seeing the docter again?
And are you on any meds now?
Let us know how you are getting on
sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#6416 - 04/18/03 05:10 PM
till

I have baked corn chips or lowfat cookies from "Eating for IBS" or I'll have baked potato chips, etc. Lots of things are not sold here though like chex, saltines, fortune cookies, etc.

Re: Help - Angel new
      #6422 - 04/18/03 05:34 PM
till

I'm taking Dicetel. I wish it was stronger though. It helps. I'm not going to another doctor. There isn't one close by and I'm too sick to go. I haven't been out in months. It's impossible. That's how sick I am.

#6425 - 04/18/03 05:42 PM
till

My doctor is a moron. He knows nothing about IBS. He is cruel. He says I can eat anything I want and the pain will disappear. He thinks IBS is not chronic. He won't help. I'm too sick to see another doctor. Last year when I found out I had IBS I when to another doctor and all he did was give Dicetel to me and that's it. That day when I went I was so sick and couldn't eat. I ate like 2 bites or bread the whole day. The next day I woke up in the morning and was in so much pain I thought I was going to pass out and then I took Dicetel and then it helped. My IBS is still severe though. I just want to die. Each day is horrible.

#6462 - 04/19/03 10:45 AM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

Maybe rather than eating baked corn chips and cookies, both of which have all sorts of "unnatural" ingredients (especially the baked corn chips that probably have olestra which is known for causing digestive problems) you need to pull back and eat only soluble fiber for a while (i.e., bananas, rice) to see if your stomach calms down.

Given the amount of extreme pain you're in, maybe eating only natural soluble fiber might help break the cycle of pain and discomfort.

Just a thought...

#6583 - 04/20/03 05:12 PM
till

I don't eat Olestra. In the corn chips I have it's just corn, salt ( no unsalted is sold here!) and trace of lime. My stomach hurts no matter what. It won't get under control. Plain rice tastes horrible. Since I can only eat tiny portions I would hardly be able to eat any. I don't know how to make dried bananas. I can't eat raw fruit. It makes me horriblely sicker.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 79 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review