All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rice Crispy treats with Rice chex
      #57939 - 04/04/04 11:30 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Hey - I noticed that some people like myself cannot tolerate high fructose corn syrup and unfortunately its in rice crispies - I kept getting sick after eating rice crispy treats and then found out what it may have been from here on the boards. Anyways tonight I made them with rice chex and they turned out really good and they do not have HFCS so hopefully my problem is solved!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice Crispy treats with Rice chex new
      #58000 - 04/05/04 07:29 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

What a good idea, Abby! I'm glad it worked for you!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#60586 - 04/12/04 08:22 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

i have a question. i cant tolerate HFCS either so i only eat rice chex, however, doesnt marshmallows have HFCS in them too?? i thought so and when i stopped eating them i felt MUCH better.

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

#60593 - 04/12/04 10:14 PM
abby82

I dont really know what the difference is but marshmallows have corn syrup not High fructose corn syrup. I dont know what that means but I was thinking that the fructose was the bad thing.....anyone know??

#60622 - 04/13/04 05:24 AM
fitnessmelis

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Massachusetts

Can you provide the recipe? Did you use soy margarine? How did you make those safe for IBS?

Rice Chex are the best!

Thanks -
Melis

#60664 - 04/13/04 07:31 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Here's the recipe .

And it is the frutose part that is the problem not corn syrup.

#60808 - 04/13/04 01:02 PM
abby82

I dont really use a recipe - however I go off of Heathers recipe for Rice Crispy treats. I usually half it though so I use:
1 Tsp of canola oil
half bag of mini-marshmallows
and then I just dump the rice chex in without measuring them until they get to how I like them!
The only differnce from her recipe is to use rice chex and I do this because they dont have High fructose corn syrup and rice crispies do (All the ones I can find at my store anyways) Anyways someone posted Heathers recipe so take a look!

Allie, Kree, Abby..and all, Help please new
      #60814 - 04/13/04 01:17 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Hi Allie, I'm like you, and was wondering what in the world is in marshmallows that I can't tolerate. I don't even know if they have HFCS..anyone know? Maybe it's because it's all corn syrup and not mostly sugar, and light corn syrup is part fructose so maybe that's what bothers some of us who are super sensitive. I have some health food crisp rice (same as rice crispys) staring me in the face that I want to make into something.

My thought here was to make a simple syrup........sugar and water and bring to What? a soft ball stage?, then mix in with the crisp rice.

Since you and Kree and some others are cooking more than me I thought maybe someone had tried this.....(hoping).

--------------------

INGREDIENTS IN KRAFT MARSHMALLOWS & CREME new
      #60833 - 04/13/04 02:19 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

KRAFT

Marshmallows

INGREDIENTS: corn syrup, sugar, dextrose, food starch - modified (corn), water, gelatin, tetrasodium pyrophosphate, artificial and natural flavor, artificial color (blue 1).

Marshmallow Creme

INGREDIENTS: Corn syrup, sugar, water, egg whites, cream of tartar, artificial flavor, natural flavor, xanthan gum, blue 1.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: INGREDIENTS IN KRAFT MARSHMALLOWS & CREME new
      #60847 - 04/13/04 03:00 PM
Kandee

Thanks Shell for posting this,

Hmmm, I'm just going to have to try those things again and see if I can get away with it. It must be the tetrasodium pyrophosphate!!!! That must be it alright......lol. Oh who knows with this nutso condition, one day you can eat something the next day you can't.
Go figure!

--------------------

Possible idea new
      #60867 - 04/13/04 04:55 PM
Kree

Kandee, I looked around for a rice krispie recipe that would work for you. The only one I found without marshmallow of some kind had way too much peanut butter, but it did give me an idea! That recipe had you bring 1 cup of karo syrup and 1 cup of sugar to a boil in a saucepan and then stir that into the krispies. That might be something to try if they don't bother you! Otherwise your simple syrup idea might work, too... I guess you'll never know unless you try!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Allie, Kree, Abby..and all, Help please new
      #61026 - 04/14/04 09:34 AM
AllieGator

personally, i think its the corn syrup that i cant tolerate, and lately ive noticed that corn starch gets me sick too! but i did find gourmet marshmallows in whole foods. they were really expensive ( like 7 dollars for 6 big ones) but they were soo good!! i hadnt been able to tolerate them in so long so it was a nice treat. i forgot the name i will try to remember but i know they only had natural ingredients, no corn syrup or aritificial stuff. good luck finding ones you can eat- its worth it when you do!

--------------------

i found them! new
      #61028 - 04/14/04 09:38 AM
AllieGator

marshmallows

--------------------

Re: i found them! new
      #61044 - 04/14/04 09:59 AM
Kree

What a great find! Those sound yummy and much healthier.

--------------------

Re: i found them! new
      #61241 - 04/14/04 05:29 PM
Kandee

This is great...thanks Allie...........you're like Kree.......you always come thru for us.
Little pricey is right!!! But well worth it if you can tolerate them. Plus..........if I get these, I'm sharing them with NOBODY..........well, unless they too have IBS...

Ok, next question..........can you, or anyone, tolerate cotton candy at the fairs? I understand it's spun sugar and that's it..............

--------------------

Re: Possible idea...hmm, instead of corn syrup...... new
      #61244 - 04/14/04 05:37 PM
Kandee

I'll bet I could use rice syrup.....it would give it the same kind of body to stick the crisp rice together..........but would have to avoid the peanut butter (it's a thyroid thing) but a few mini-choco chips would be great!!!

Right now I'm ok in the sweets dept. I can't seem to give them up completely so need a little now and then. I just got my Jelly Bellys........and threw the 4 flavors together in a jar....a small handful is like having a dessert.
(BTW, those 4 are chocolate pudding, cafe latte, toasted marshmallow and coconut--yum). There is some corn syrup in them and I can't eat many, but a few now and then seems to be ok.

--------------------

You are my new best friend!!!!!! new
      #61561 - 04/15/04 02:24 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Allie!!! Thank you SO much for linking to this. We've been looking for vegetarian marshmallows FOREVER. This is so exciting. It totally makes my day.

Re: You are my new best friend!!!!!! new
      #61645 - 04/15/04 05:13 PM
AllieGator

ur welcome
if u dont wanna order them online i found them in whole foods.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review