All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
vegeterian
      #5727 - 04/11/03 04:05 AM
indigo

Reged: 04/10/03

I am newly diagnoised with IBS. I am a vegerterian and finding it very difficult to eat anything. Does anyone have any vegeterian reciepes I could try?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: vegeterian new
      #5731 - 04/11/03 05:16 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi Indigo! Welcome to the board!

Do you have Heather's book yet? If not--click on the Technical Faq option at the top of your screen. It will explain a lot about IBS and what foods are safe--and what foods are triggers.

As far as veggies go--make sure when you eat them to cook them REALLY WELL--and always start with a soluble fiber food--and make that the largest part of your meal. (But you might need to stabalize before you can have fruits and veggies for a week or two). Do you have IBS C (constipation) or D (diarrhea)?

I hope tihs helps some. Other people on the board know much more than me--and I'm sure they'll be able to advise you well! If you have any questions--feel free to post em'--and don't be shy! We're all going through the same thing!

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Happy Friday!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5736 - 04/11/03 05:40 AM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

Hi there,

I'm veggie too and I've been following Heather's diet for about a year now. I found that with a few changes I can eat pretty much everything I used to: pizza (with a cheese substitute), soups (with bread), risotto (without cheese)...

What regular veggie food did you eat in the past? Can your old recipes be altered - I'm sure we can help you with that. I find it's nicer to feel like I haven't had to give up my favourites rather than to suddenly start eating things I'm not used to.

So I still use my old cookery books - I just replace all the dairy with soya substitutes, reduce the fat content where possible, increase the soluble fibre by serving with extra rice or potato etc... However if converting recipes is too much to cope with right now (you said you were new to this), then I'd recommend a book called "Vegetarian Cooking Without" by Barbara Cousins. Or I could let you have some of the recipes I have converted from other books.

Hope that helps,
Geekgirl

Re: vegeterian geekgirl new
      #5739 - 04/11/03 06:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

I hope you dont mind my chiming in--but what is this book you mentioned--I'm definately interested! I'm not a vegeterian (I used to be until my weight went really low--I must've been doing something wrong)...and I'm very interested in this book. Soy is difficult for me to digest--I can handle maybe two bites with beano. I'm trying to work up to more--I think I'll be able to, but slowly. Thanks for your help!!

Always,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5750 - 04/11/03 07:25 AM
geekgirl

Hi Ruchie,

Let me tell you a bit more... The biggest change in my diet has been the exclusion of dairy products. I found it rather difficult at first as I was relying on dairy more than I'd realised. As well as experimenting with dairy substitutes in my usual recipes I turned to vegan cookbooks for inspiration.

Then I found that even white wheat was sometimes a bit 'heavy' for me so I vowed to cut down on it. So I came across the book "Vegetarian Cooking Without" which contains veggie recipes without gluten, yeast, sugar, saturated fat, or dairy. It sounded ideal so I bought it there and then! I still check each recipe beforehand (for my other triggers and to be sure there's plenty of soluble fibre). Of course not all my meals are so restricted, but these recipes help when I know I should be careful.

I like that book in particular because it contains all the things I would usually eat. I guess that's because it has a bit of a european slant. If you look for it on amazon.com you can view a few pages from it to give you an idea of the type of recipes to expect.

Hope that helps,
geekgirl

#5751 - 04/11/03 07:29 AM
Snow for Sarala

Geekgirl,

WOW! Thank you!!!! I'm trying to cut sugar down in my diet (not diabetic--I just don't think it's so healthy)--that book sounds delightful! I hope to check it out...and look for it in the library the next time ago. That was very informative--thanks for taking the time!!!!!!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5754 - 04/11/03 08:29 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Geekgirl: Do you happen to have a favorite recipe that you bring to share at functions? I have to bring a Vegan dish on Easter Sunday so myself, my daughter and two vegans can eat safely. I volunteered as I had no choices last function, so this is a perfect chance to bring at least one safe dish. By the way, I found one very good Vegan site, vegweb.com that has some excellent recipes on it.

#5755 - 04/11/03 08:45 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Last time I went to a family meal I took a mushroom rice dish -
Basmati or jasmine rice
Finely chopped scallions(spring onions)
Chopped mushrooms
Salt and pepper
Rice wine vinegar

Cook the rice, stirfry the mushrooms and onions in cooking spray( PAM- US, Frylight- UK), add the rice for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and pepper then when cooled a little stir in a couple of spoons of rice vinegar to taste.

I found it went down quite well!
Hope it helps

Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#5761 - 04/11/03 09:48 AM
geekgirl

Hi again,

The last time I went for a meal at a friend's house we made pizza. That way I knew I would have something to eat, and yet we could all have the same thing. I offered to take the pizza bases, some veg, and some soya cheese. I told my friend to buy whatever else she wanted for the others, meat and cheese etc. So we had fun making pizza together.

For things that you can make in advance and take in a dish I'd suggest a stew - I remember a nice sweet potato and chickpea (garbanzo bean) stew. I think I got the recipe from http://www.purespreads.com but I can't check for you right now as the site requires Flash and my Flash player isn't working at the mo :-(

Hope that helps,
geekgirl

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5551

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review