All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Chinese food recipes for IBS
      #567 - 02/08/03 08:10 AM
shannon114

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Ireland

Hi,since changing to soluable food before Christmas i really miss chinese dishes,i used to cook it a lot (Ken Hom)
books prior to knowing i had IBS.Do anyone here have recipes that would suit that you have tried,i am IBS(C)
Much appreciated.
Tina.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Chinese food recipes for IBS new
      #568 - 02/08/03 08:43 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I've made the Chinese Sweet Corn and Crab Velvet Soup and the Garden Veggie Lo Mein from _Eating for IBS_. Both were terrific. Have you got Heather's book? It contains other Chinese and other Asian recipes as well.

#574 - 02/08/03 01:18 PM
shannon114

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Ireland

Hi Tesslouise,thank you,i havn't got the books yet but intend sending for them.
Tina.

#1429 - 02/25/03 01:49 PM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

I make a lot of stir frys, and limit the amount of oil I use. I also cook the veggies longer than normal, and avoid ones that cause me problems such as broccoli.

moo shu vegies with mandarin pancakes new
      #13480 - 07/08/03 10:28 AM
TessLouise

I've kept this post bookmarked because I, too, was looking for IBS-safe and budget-friendly Chinese recipes...and I've finally had some luck, though I've not tried any of them (yet).

Stir-Fried Moo Shu Vegetable Wraps

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
8 ounces reduced-fat firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 8 ounces mushrooms)
2 cups packaged broccoli coleslaw
1 cup (1/4-inch-wide) red bell pepper strips
1/2 cup (1/2-inch) diagonally cut green onions
1 tablespoon bottled or fresh minced garlic
1 teaspoon bottled or fresh grated ginger
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
8 (7-inch) flour tortillas or 1/2 recipe Mandarin Pancakes
1/4 cup plum sauce

1. Combine soy sauce and tofu in a small bowl. Combine mushrooms and next 5 ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; stir-fry 3 minutes. Add tofu; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in hoisin sauce and crushed red pepper; stir-fry for 1 minute or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
3. Stack tortillas; wrap in damp paper towels and microwave at HIGH 25 seconds. Spread 1 1/2 teaspoons plum sauce over each tortilla. Top each tortilla with about 1/3 cup tofu mixture; roll up. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tortillas).
-–_Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002_

Mandarin Pancakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup boiling water
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil

Lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and water in a large bowl. Stir until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 3 minutes). Shape the dough into a 1 1/2-inch-thick log. Divide the dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each dough portion into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Brush 8 pancakes evenly with oil. Top each with one of the remaining pancakes, gently pressing together. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Place 1 pancake stack in pan, and cook 1 minute on each side or until slightly puffed. Remove from pan, and cool. Peel pancakes apart. Yield: 16 pancakes.
-–_Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002_

baked egg rolls and homemade duck sauce new
      #13484 - 07/08/03 10:34 AM
TessLouise

Baked Egg Rolls

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornstarch
2-4 cloves finely chopped garlic, divided
2 teaspoons grated ginger root
4 cups finely shredded napa, Chinese or regular white cabbage
1 cup mung bean sprouts
1 medium or large carrot finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons finely sliced green onions
1/2 pound ground turkey (optional–-replace with about 1 cup mixture of mushrooms, more cabbage, bean sprouts and/or carrots)
1 pound egg roll skins (14-16) (found in produce section of grocery store)

Mix soy sauce with corn starch. Set aside.

Spray nonstick skillet or wok with nonstick cooking spray or heat one tablespoon cooking oil. Over high heat stir-fry 1-2 cloves garlic and ginger for a few seconds. Add cabbage, bean sprouts, carrot and green onions. Stir-fry a few minutes until cabbage is wilted. If cooking meat, remove vegetables from pan.

Add remaining 1-2 cloves garlic. Add ground turkey. Stir-fry until no longer pink. Drain off any fat.

Add reserved soy sauce/cornstarch and the vegetables. Cook 1 minute or so until thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool a little.

To make egg rolls:
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.

Turn egg roll skin so it looks like a diamond. Place 1/4 cup filling just below the center. Fold the lower point of the diamond over the filling, tucking it under the filling. Fold the left and right corners over that. Tightly roll the egg roll. Moisten the top corner with a bit of water to prevent it from unrolling. Voila! Repeat until you run out of skins or filling. (Note: Keep the egg roll skins in their wrapper or cover with a moist towel so they don't dry out.) Should make at least 14 egg rolls.

Place egg rolls seam side down on the pan. They can be close together but not touching. Lightly spray the egg rolls with the nonstick cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
–-http://www.internationalrecipesonline.com/recipes/view.pl?6, submitted by Kathy Kerr, kerr@patriot.net

"Duck" Sauce

1 cup cut-up peeled peaches
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

For egg rolls and crisp Chinese noodles, and to create a Chinese restaurant aura.

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes until barely softened. Puree in a blender, processor, or food mill and chill.

For long-term storage, freeze in 1/4-cup units and defrost at room temperature as needed. Makes 3/4 cup.
-–_Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine_

stir-fried green beans with garlic new
      #13487 - 07/08/03 10:41 AM
TessLouise

Stir-Fried Green Beans with Garlic

2 tablespoons oil
1 pound green beans, broken in half
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Heat oil in a wok and stir-fry beans and garlic for 5 minutes. Keep heat high to singe beans.

Add seasonings, cover wok, lower heat, and stew for 5 minutes. Serves 4.
--_Nikki and David Goldbeck's American Wholefoods Cuisine_

#13489 - 07/08/03 10:45 AM
TessLouise

I've found recipes for most of the Chinese food I really like (vegie lo mein, moo shu vegies, garlic green beans), but I haven't been able to find recipes for salt and pepper mushrooms or for something on a buffet once that was labeled "sour cabbage with fish." It tasted like creamy sauerkraut with some red pepper flakes. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 428 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9181

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review