All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather's "Sugar-Free Apple/Blueberry Bread"?
      #50643 - 03/15/04 08:28 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hello All!

I just wanted to let you know I made sugar-free apple bread last night substituting mashed cooked apples for the banana in Heather's banana bread recipe. I used two teaspoons of cinnamon (as per Kree's instructions) and omitted the sugar. The recipe turned out great!

Now I would like to try my hand at making sugar-free apple/blueberry bread. How could I modify Heather's banana bread recipe to make apple/blueberry bread? Would you have a recipe using fresh blueberries? (I don't like frozen blueberries because I once got food poisoning from them.) Would I need to special prepare the blueberries so they would be IBS safe? How much blueberries would I need? How much of the apple sauce would I need? Should I use cinnamon or not? I am able to tolerate blueberries. I often have babyfood apple/blueberry sauce on my bagel for breakfast.

Your advice would be (as always) greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Belinda

P.S. I served Heather's sugar-free banana bread at a family gathering yesterday. Although my mom was the only diabetic present, my family liked the banana bread so much they gulped it down and ignored the sugar cakes! Mom ate five slices of the banana bread and she said I could make money if I sold it to diabetics!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather's "Sugar-Free Apple/Blueberry Bread"? new
      #50947 - 03/15/04 06:00 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Wow! These sound great, especially as I'm trying to do the Weightwatchers thing and all the sugar in Heather's breads don't go very well with that!

So, with the Apple and Cinnamon Bread, you just subsitute cooked apple for banana, add cinnamon, omit the sugar...and that's it?!

I love Blueberries...lets sort out this recipe!

Re: Heather's "Sugar-Free Apple/Blueberry Bread"? new
      #50963 - 03/15/04 07:25 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

What a great idea to add blueberries! Did you mean you wanted to add whole or chopped blueberries, or pureed? Because you would want to add different amounts of applesauce depending on your answer.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Sugar-Free Apple Bread Recipe new
      #50996 - 03/16/04 06:39 AM
belinda

Linz:

For the sugar-free apple cinnamon bread, I use Heather's recipe for brown sugar banana bread. Instead of using three cups of mashed bananas, I use three cups of mashed apples.

I buy sweet apples (six to eight depending on the size) like Red Delicious, which I peel, core and quarter and then place in a pot, which I fill with water. I boil the apples for a short time (they get soft very quickly), much the same as one would boil potatoes. Once the apples are soft, I drain out all the water and then mash them. They will have a similar consistency and moisture content to the mashed bananas.

I follow the rest of Heather's banana bread recipe except I add 2 tspns. of cinnamon. If you don't like a strong flavour of cinnamon, you could use just 1 or 1 1/2 tspns. The other thing I do is omit the sugar in the recipe.

The apple bread turns out great although I am sure the consistency would be a little better if it had sugar since I guess omitting sugar changes the chemistry a little.

The sugar-free apple bread is not as sweet as the sugar-free banana bread because, of course, bananas are a sweeter fruit. However, both sugar-free breads are a wonderful treat for someone (like me) who can't have sugar, or for someone who is trying to avoid sugar in order to lose weight.

Belinda

Sugar-Free Apple-Blueberry Bread Recipe Wanted! new
      #50998 - 03/16/04 06:48 AM
belinda

Kree:

Right now (to make apple bread) I am substituting three cups of mashed cooked apples for the three cups of mashed bananas in Heather's banana bread recipe. I am also omitting the sugar in the recipe.

I would like to include blueberries in the recipe. (I think I would need to include some mashed cooked apples so that the bread would be sweet because blueberries aren't usually very sweet.)

What would I need to do to include the blueberries? For example, would I need to puree the blueberries? Should I reduce the amount of mashed cooked apples and make up the shortfall with the pureed blueberries? For example, should I use 1 1/2 cups of mashed cooked apples and 1 1/2 cups pureed blueberries? Should I include some cinnamon or some other spice? If so, how much?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for a sugar-free apple-blueberry bread. It would be greatly appreciated!

Belinda

Brainstorming! new
      #51030 - 03/16/04 07:51 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Hmm, let's see. I think if you decide to puree the blueberries I would try just what you mentioned and use 1 1/2 cups of that and 1 1/2 cups of pureed apples. As long as the total amount of pureed fruits equal 3 cups you should be good!

I might also throw in some chopped blueberries just to add a little texture, too, as long as you tolerate them okay. I tolerate chopped fruits fine in breads and muffins. In that case you probably wouldn't have to lower the amount of puree at all... just throw them in on top of that like you would any nuts, fruits, or chocolate chips.

Have you ever thought of adding blueberries to the banana bread?? It just occurred to me that I bet that would be fabulous. I love banana-blueberry smoothies, and that would probably have a similar flavor. Now you really have my mind working here, lol. Good luck!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

CALORIES for Sugar-Free Banana Bread & Sugar-Free Apple Bread new
      #82846 - 06/24/04 01:18 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Linz:

For the sugar-free apple cinnamon bread, I use Heather's recipe for brown sugar banana bread. Instead of using three cups of mashed bananas, I use three cups of mashed apples.

I buy sweet apples (six to eight depending on the size) like Red Delicious, which I peel, core and quarter and then place in a pot, which I fill with water. I boil the apples for a short time (they get soft very quickly), much the same as one would boil potatoes. Once the apples are soft, I drain out all the water and then mash them. They will have a similar consistency and moisture content to the mashed bananas.

I follow the rest of Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread recipe except I add 2 tspns. of cinnamon. If you don't like a strong flavour of cinnamon, you could use just 1 or 1 1/2 tspns. The other thing I do is omit the sugar in the recipe.

The apple bread turns out great although I am sure the consistency would be a little better if it had sugar since I guess omitting sugar changes the chemistry a little.

The sugar-free apple bread is not as sweet as the sugar-free banana bread because, of course, bananas are a sweeter fruit. However, both sugar-free breads are a wonderful treat for someone (like me) who can't have sugar, or for someone who is trying to avoid sugar in order to lose weight.

Belinda

Yes, I know I'm crazy but I HAD to figure this out....as soon as I saw Sugar-Free and NOT artificial sweeteners!! So, here ya go....following this post by Belinda.... (using eggbeaters, vanilla extract not imitation & 2 tea cinnamon). Sorry I forgot to figure out the fat content.

Sugar-Free Banana Bread
95 calories per slice

Sugar-Free Apple Bread
84 calories per slice

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (06/24/04 01:25 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 231 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review