All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Rice noodles... new
      #51734 - 03/18/04 05:24 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Well, in Eating for IBS there's a great tuna salad recipe... (sorry, don't have the book in front of me. ) and it calls for pasta. If I don't have any gluten-free pasta around, I will use rice noodles for things like that. Tip: don't use the teeny tiny noodles for something of this nature, 'cause they're just not substantial enough to "hold" the heavy tuna. Use the fatter rice noodles.

Mostly I make the rice noodles as described (or a variation thereof) and use it as a side for just about everything. If I've got some chicken or salmon and don't feel like making rice, then off to the side go some rice noodles. I've found that by tinkering with that basic recipe, you can make that sauce go with tons of stuff. Example: substitute lemon for lime if you used lemon on your fish.... add different herbs that complement what's on your chicken, etc...

Once I was craving marinara sauce (which doesn't bother my tummy) but was too dang lazy to make gf-pasta (you know, that 10 minutes boiling time was too taxing for me! ), I tossed it on some fat rice noodles. Tasted great.

I'm sure there are tons of other things to do with them. Lemme see what I can come up with. It will be good for me to expand my menu choices!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice noodles... new
      #51757 - 03/18/04 06:38 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

So you don't have to cook rice noodles?? I've never used them before, so I have no clue either. I just assumed you cooked them like pasta.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#51767 - 03/18/04 06:53 AM
jenX

Hi, Kree.

Some you just soak in water for a few (3 -5 or so) minutes and then drain 'em and use 'em. Others you soak for a few minutes, then toss in boiling water for another 3 minutes before you drain 'em and use 'em.

The packaging often says which one of the above is the case, but I don't think you can ruin them by soaking and then boiling for a few even if it's the "wrong" kind for that. (Lots of the packages are in Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, etc..., so I have no idea what they say! When in doubt I soak then boil.)

--------------------

#51786 - 03/18/04 08:13 AM
Kree

Aha! Thanks for the info, I'll have to try to find some around here!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#51795 - 03/18/04 08:36 AM
jenX

I don't know about Rochester, but here in the DC-MD suburbs all of the grocery stores carry at least a small sampling of Asian foods. That's where the rice noodles are. I prefer the mega Asian markets (cheaper and more variety)...

--------------------

#51889 - 03/18/04 11:34 AM
Kree

I wish we had an Asian market around here!! There might be one in the city, but I don't get out there much. I should look into it, though, they sound very neat. Otherwise I know my supermarket has an Asian section, so I should be good to go!

--------------------

Asian markets new
      #51928 - 03/18/04 12:26 PM
jenX

Yeah, we have a few around here. And what's really neat is that they sponsor tours of the market and explain where (and what!) everything is.

It's really cool, 'cause a lot of us American-types don't know what's going on with Asian veggies, pastas, etc...!

--------------------

Re: Asian markets new
      #52001 - 03/18/04 03:31 PM
marjo

Reged: 01/13/04
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

I love your little shark!!nt

--------------------
Everything somehow always works out for the best.

Re: Asian markets new
      #52030 - 03/18/04 06:11 PM
Kree

How fun! I'm one of those American-types, so I could definitely benefit from that!

--------------------

Re: Yummy sauce to put over rice noodles new
      #52060 - 03/18/04 08:09 PM
eilene

Reged: 03/06/04
Loc: Florida

Thanks JenX for the Yummie recipe..I am allergic to tomatoes and tomato products and this should work out fine!!!Keep the recipes coming!!!Eilene

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 192 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26333

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review