All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Crockpot Chicken Stew (Incredible!)
      #44683 - 02/12/04 04:36 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Crockpot Chicken Stew
(Makes 4 servings)

This is sooo yummy. I used a pre-packaged stew vegetable mix that also included turnips and rutabagas. I actually added way more veggies than the recipe calls for and it still worked out great. This is a great way to get your safe soluble fiber veggies!

1 lb chicken breast, cut in 1 inch cubes
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (organic or homemade)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 carrots, sliced
2 russet potatoes or 4 yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 cup green beans (optional- I omitted)

1. Place cut up chicken in crockpot.
2. Mix flour, salt, pepper, and paprika in a small bowl, and pour over chicken; stir to coat chicken with flour.
3. Add remaining ingredients (except green beans) and mix well.
4. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high 4-5 hours.
5. Add green beans (optional) 1 hour before serving.

Note: I think next time I make this I might thicken the sauce by adding cornstarch in a little water about an hour before serving, because I like my stew really thick!

From Shirin Jacobs at www.recipezaar.com

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Crockpot Chicken Stew (Incredible!) new
      #44688 - 02/12/04 04:41 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

This just sounds scrumptious... and along with some warm bread...... OMG!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#44726 - 02/12/04 07:11 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Kree,
You are the recipe queen!

#44732 - 02/12/04 08:59 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

YUM!!!! This made my mouth water. Will try soon, tomorrow, you know the best thing is my family will love it too!
Thanks Kree!!

#44743 - 02/13/04 03:36 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Kree - this sounds awesome! I can't wait to try it. I'm leaving out the green beans too - YUCK!

#44770 - 02/13/04 07:40 AM
Kree

Enjoy ladies!

Yeah Mags, green beans in a stew just didn't seem right to me.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#189771 - 06/28/05 09:03 AM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I tried this recipe over the weekend and loved it.... Thanks for posting this recipe Kree.

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed it -nt- new
      #189794 - 06/28/05 10:58 AM
Kree

--------------------

Re: Crockpot Chicken Stew (Incredible!)-question new
      #203351 - 08/07/05 02:40 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Kree, did you add the prepackaged stew mix in addition to the veggies listed in the recipe? How many veggies were in the mix? Did you also add the turnips and rhutabagas?

was the stew mix frozen or in the produce aisle?

My mom always added green beans to stew, so I think I'll keep it in, at least some!

thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Crockpot Chicken Stew (Incredible!)-question new
      #203396 - 08/07/05 05:59 PM
Kree

Hi Augie! I just added the stew veggies in place of what the recipe called for. Unfortunately I don't remember the size of the bag, but it was in the produce aisle near the packages of lettuce and was in a package about the same size as the lettuce. And yes, I did include the turnips and rutabagas. I just took the veggies all out of the bag, chopped them up, and dumped them in the crockpot. I've also made this exactly as stated and I liked it about the same both ways. I've found that crockpots tend to be pretty forgiving!

--------------------

When you used the packaged veggie mix... new
      #203410 - 08/07/05 07:08 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

did you still get 4 servings? I think I have seen those before and if I remember correctly, they didn't look like they contained very many veggies.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: When you used the packaged veggie mix... new
      #203420 - 08/07/05 08:10 PM
Kree

I'm pretty sure I still got around 4 servings, but it's been a while. The original doesn't actually contain too many veggies either. As a matter of fact it only calls for 2 potatoes. So I'm pretty sure there was at least that much in the bag. Sorry I can't be more specific!

--------------------

#224123 - 11/10/05 11:08 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

How big do you dice the potatoes? And do I peel them first?

Also, what do you mean by sliced celery? Do you mean diced, like the onions? or whole, thin, stalks?

#224262 - 11/11/05 07:53 AM
Kree

I do peel my potatoes, and dice them... well, I guess I'd say medium-sized. They don't have to be teeny tiny. It cooks long enough that they're always tender for me that way. It's the carrots that seem to take longer, anyway.

As for the celery, I mean you slice it across the stalk the small way, like this:

Actually, I slice mine about twice as thin as the picture, but you get the idea.

--------------------

This was OUTSTANDING!!!! new
      #225245 - 11/15/05 03:54 PM
*Melissa*

I made this for What's Cooking? 11/14 and it was so good! When I got home for work, I could smell it in my front yard! LOL I wasn't sure if it was that or not till I opened the door and realized that was what I was smelling. I can't wait for leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

I thickened it by following this step from Slow Cooker - Winter Vegetable Stew after it cooked for 8-10 hrs:

Mix (3 Tablespoons) cornstarch and (3 Tablespoons)cold water; gradually stir into stew until blended. Cover and cook on high heat setting about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.

Re: I HAVE to try this ASAP!!!!! -nt- new
      #225252 - 11/15/05 04:03 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Did you use the standard recipe or the prepackaged one? new
      #225431 - 11/16/05 12:30 PM
Cyndy

Or did you modify it with other ingredients? Did you add the green beans?

I want to try this one!

Re: Did you use the standard recipe or the prepackaged one? new
      #225434 - 11/16/05 12:35 PM
*Melissa*

I used the recipe exactly with the addition of the cornstarch/water step, and left out the green beans. Green beans are just plain blucky...no need for them anywhere if ya ask me!

You should try it. I had my leftovers for lunch today and it was so good! It really thickened up today though, but I like it like that. Everyone in my office was saying "What smells so good?" I didn't give them any!

Yay!! I'm so glad you liked it, Mags. I agree, isn't the smell amazing? -nt- new
      #226100 - 11/18/05 03:39 PM
Kree

--------------------

#226104 - 11/18/05 04:07 PM
Honey mix

Reged: 11/16/05
Loc: USA wish it was England

Kree this is ingretable my mom made it and i couldn't stop eating it it was sooo yummy!

--------------------
Puppies Are Cute But I'm Cuter

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Honey Mix! -nt- new
      #226112 - 11/18/05 04:40 PM
Kree

--------------------

#226549 - 11/21/05 06:06 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I made this yesterday and it was very good!

I actually threw in two whole frozen chicken breasts and cooked it like that. During the last half hour, I took two forkes and seperated the chicken into little bits.

Worked perfectly and way less work!

--------------------

Can't find Worcestershire sauce without High Fructose Corn Syrup new
      #227034 - 11/24/05 11:26 AM
Cyndy

What brand are you all using?

French's new
      #227039 - 11/24/05 11:44 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I just looked at the ingredients and it has no HFCS. it does have corn syrup. Y'know, I should've just gotten the bottle and listed the ingredients but now I am too lazy to walk back out to the kitchen. I think the ingredients were water, vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, anchovy paste, and tamarind.

If you can't find any sauce w/o HFCS, just skip it. It should still taste fine without it. I'd probably throw in another bay leaf to compensate.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Thanks Jen, but I can't find French's brand -nt new
      #227800 - 11/28/05 02:48 PM
Cyndy

Ding, ding! This one is a winner! new
      #247293 - 02/19/06 05:40 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I thickened it up with cornstarch, too. Wouldn't mind it a tad thicker, but it will be dinner tomorrow, too, so perhaps it will thicken over night. I'm thinking of serving it over biscuits then.

Oh yeah. I threw in parsnips, too. Nummy!

I made this last night, too new
      #247483 - 02/20/06 04:55 PM
jen1013

I make this all the time now -- my husband and I both love it.

One thing I wonder though -- why bother coating the chicken with floor?? Once you dump everything else in -- including the chicken broth -- and mix it up, the flour seems to get washed off.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: I made this last night, too new
      #247529 - 02/21/06 03:20 AM
*Melissa*

I've seen that in crockpost stew recipes. I think it helps season the meat, plus helps thicken the stew also. Not sure, but that was always my thought on it.

Re: I made this last night, too new
      #247565 - 02/21/06 09:08 AM
Kree

I assumed it was to help thicken it, too. I'm so glad you all like this so much!

--------------------

I noticed that, too (m) new
      #247699 - 02/21/06 05:25 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

One thing I wonder though -- why bother coating the chicken with floor?? Once you dump everything else in -- including the chicken broth -- and mix it up, the flour seems to get washed off.

I thought the next time I made this I might just make a slurry with the flour, salt, pepper, broth, and Worcestershire sauce and pour it over at the end, rather than coating the chicken, then adding the liquid. If I do, I'll let you know how it comes out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I had a nummy thought last night... new
      #247900 - 02/22/06 01:48 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Wouldn't the thickened stew be absolutely yummy in a crust, as in chicken pot pie?

Yes, I know the recipe would make more than enough for a pot pie, but leftovers are always good. Or you could just make a LOT of potpie.

You could cheat and you a Pillsbury pizza crust or Bisquick drop biscuits or something like that for the crusts, but how long would you bake it? Any ideas?

Oh, yeah. new
      #247911 - 02/22/06 03:09 PM
Sand

What a great idea. If all you want is a top crust, I bet you could basically use the cooking instructions from Bev's Chicken and Biscuits. I'd put the leftover stew in a casserole, cover it, and bake at 425 for long enough for the stew to get hot (maybe 15-20 minutes?). Then remove the lid, put your crust/Biscuits on, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden.

I'm not sure what to do for a bottom crust. The pizza crust idea sounds intriguing. Would you line the dish with the pizza crust and bake it first, before adding the filling?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Variation - Chicken & Dumplings!! new
      #288674 - 11/01/06 11:20 AM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Okay, I finally got a chance to make this yesterday, and it reminded me a lot of the chicken & dumplings I used to make. It was really delicious!! I got this recipe from Rachel Ray originally, but I have cut the fat way down. Hope you enjoy!

1-2 tsp olive oil (just enough to saute veggies a little)
2 carrots, sliced
2 russet potatoes or 4 yukon gold potatoes, diced
1 onion, chopped (I used minced onion)
1 bay leaf
2 Tbsp Flour
salt & pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 cups chicken broth (I used Imagine brand)
1 1/2 lb chicken breast, cut in 1 inch cubes
1 1/2 cups Heart Healthy Bisquick Mix (it's the reduced fat version)
1/2 cup Rice or Soy Milk (I used Rice Dream original flavor)
Parsley (optional)

In large pot, saute the veggies in a tiny bit of olive oil over med-high heat. Next add salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning. Add flour and stir to combine. Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and stir.

While that is cooking... In a mixing bowl, combine Bisquick & milk (recipe also calls for adding parsley into this mix... this is optional). Drop tablespoonfuls into the pot, spacing the dumplings evenly. Cover pot and reduce heat to med-low. Steam dumplings 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cover and stir carefully to thicken sauce a bit.

This is SOOOO delicious!!!! It's a little bit more work than the crockpot version, but it's a 30 minute meal and is great if you have to have a quick dinner and couldn't do the crockpot thing. I made the crockpot chicken stew this way last night, and it was really yummy!

Sounds great! It's going to turn cold here and this will be perfect. -nt- new
      #288682 - 11/01/06 12:13 PM
Sand

--------------------

Tried a slurry new
      #293033 - 12/09/06 12:40 PM
Sand

Quote:

Quote:

I thought the next time I made this I might just make a slurry with the flour, salt, pepper, broth, and Worcestershire sauce and pour it over at the end, rather than coating the chicken, then adding the liquid. If I do, I'll let you know how it comes out.

Okay, I tried making a slurry instead of coating the chicken with the flour mixture. It seems to me that more of the chicken sticks together that way and it's kind of unappetizing. So I've gone back to coating the chicken. Actually, now I put the flour mixture in a bag, throw in the chicken, shake very well, then dump it all into the crockpot.

--------------------

Re: Tried a slurry new
      #293091 - 12/10/06 02:13 PM
jen1013

Quote:

Okay, I tried making a slurry instead of coating the chicken with the flour mixture. It seems to me that more of the chicken sticks together that way and it's kind of unappetizing. So I've gone back to coating the chicken. Actually, now I put the flour mixture in a bag, throw in the chicken, shake very well, then dump it all into the crockpot.

When I make this now I use the individiaul quick-frozen chicken breasts and just shred them when it's done cooking. So, I throw two frozen chicken breasts into the crock pot, pour in the chopped veggies (I use triple potatoes, carrots, onions, and celery if I have it), mix the flour and spices in a small bowl, dump it on the veggies, mix it together, pour in a can of chicken broth, add the Worcestershire sauce (I use a lot more than the recipe calls for), and use the broth can to add water until everything is just barely submerged.

After 10-12 hours on low I use a spoon or fork to shred the chicken. I then take a potato masher and give the veggies a few good smushes, stir everything up with the masher, and end up with a lovely thick stew.

Designed for maximum laziness.

--------------------
jen

this is a family favorite! new
      #303237 - 03/27/07 04:58 AM
kamikat

Reged: 11/17/06

I made this last night. Eventhough it's Lent, I had a small nibble to make sure it was right. The family LOVED it! This is the first "replacement meal" that DH has liked. DH didn't even notice that it was all white meat (I used to make it was either a whole chicken or thighs only). Yeah!!!

#313774 - 08/23/07 06:48 AM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

I made Kree's Chicken Stew last night and all I got was complaints --- too bland they said --- has anyone tried to add more herbs for more taste to it or did I do something wrong making it?

#313800 - 08/23/07 12:55 PM
Sand

I find this stew much, much better once it's reheated so I always make it the day before I'm going to eat it. You can try that and see what your family says.

However, if your family is expecting the strong meat and (usually) tomato taste of a beef stew it's just not going to be there. This is going to be more along the lines of, say, a chicken pot pie.

If you want to try extra seasoning, I don't see any reason why you couldn't. You can double up on the seasonings already in there. If you left out the green beans, try adding those or maybe some peas at the last minute if you tolerate them - that will punch up the color which might help. Also, for some reason, it seems to me that fresh thyme would go well in here and punch it up a little.

HTH. Let us know what you find that works out for you.

--------------------

#313822 - 08/23/07 07:07 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

What do you think about adding tomato paste and sliced mushrooms (baby bellas?)? Those are two things I usually add to soups or other dishes to give it a meatier flavor.

#313826 - 08/23/07 07:44 PM
Sand

I bet mushrooms would be great. I'm not sure about the tomato paste - can't quite taste that in my mind.

--------------------

#314201 - 08/29/07 01:00 PM
avjens

Reged: 09/13/05
Loc: Iowa

Thanks for the suggestions -- I will up my herbs and maybe add mushrooms.

Question about the bay leaf new
      #314347 - 08/30/07 08:18 PM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

I didn't crumble it or anything, I just put one whole leaf in there while it cooked and took it out before serving. Was this right?

Re: Question about the bay leaf new
      #314352 - 08/30/07 09:02 PM
Sand

Yup, just right.

--------------------

#314562 - 09/04/07 06:34 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Thanks so much for the great recipe! My whole family loved it! There is barely any left after my three boys gobbled it all up. I used 99% fat-free turkey cutlets cut up instead of the chicken, and it was delish!

#337238 - 10/23/08 10:30 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Thanks ... This is soooo goood! Just in time for winter in the Rockies. I have doubled it and added 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

oh no! can I use regular bisquick? new
      #346296 - 05/22/09 09:08 AM

Unregistered

I made the whole recipe to realize I was out of the reduced fat heart healthy bisquick! Should I wait until I can get some,heat up the soup later and make it? or juse use the regular bisquick?

Got to bump this since it was so good .. new
      #354653 - 01/17/10 10:06 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

and great for nasty winters night. It also works for me just now as the electrics in the new place are acting funny and the oven won't work. sigh

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: Variation - Chicken & Dumplings!! new
      #357502 - 04/07/10 12:18 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

I made Julie E's variation - Chicken and Dumplings this week and it was delicious.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#360870 - 09/09/10 02:07 PM
PolkaDots

Reged: 12/09/09
Loc: TX

Made this last night and the family loved it!

--------------------
Symptoms since '98
Diagnosed IBS-A 3/09
Stable since 10/09

#361938 - 11/07/10 05:23 AM
LauraVid

Reged: 10/19/10

Can someone message me the recipe? I can not find it on the threads

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 100883

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review