All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
trial and error new
      #262504 - 05/09/06 11:06 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

If I were you, I'd put in a lot of blueberries. You are basically in pain every day anyway, right? You know you need as much IF as possible. I'd pick a Saturday morning when you can afford to stay in all day, and do some experimenting. Put in a big old handful of blueberries and see what happens. You should be increasing your IF consistently until your C is relieved.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: trial and error new
      #262710 - 05/10/06 01:38 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Lemme pile on here!

Yeah, fruit/veggie IF really isn't as scary as you think. I'm sure that you're like me and had plenty of times pre-Heather where you ate a bunch of veggies and felt like crap later on. But really, when you have some SF (and peppermint on hand in case you go too nuts) and chop/cook/puree your fruits and veggies, it is so darn safe and good for us C'ers! Honestly, I will get in trouble with the real triggers (red meat, dairy, high fat) and overdosing on whole grains, but I've never had real problems with fruit/veggie IF the Heather way.

You need to face the fear and gradually increase your fruit/veggie IF. It's ok to be scared - heck, it's downright normal for us IBS'ers. The hypno helps with that (hint, hint). But eat some more anyway, and have a heating pad and peppermint at the ready, and you will be pleasantly surprised!

--AC

Juice instead of soy milk new
      #262789 - 05/11/06 05:38 AM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

If you don't want the soy, you can use juice instead... I use OJ with calcium because of the lack of dairy in my diet, but cranberry works well. I used to use Apple juice but I think thats a trigger for most IBSers. It just makes the smoothie more fruity, and I don't ever put in more sugar. If you use juice, frozen fruits, and a bit of tofu or something (yay protein), its a whole meal!! I actually put in some acacia tummy fiber also. Its delicious... every single morning

-Becca

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

Re: Does anyone have a recipe for a fruit smoothie made in the blender? new
      #263378 - 05/14/06 09:45 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I make a few, but one that I really like is:

3 frozen peach halves cut into smaller portions
1 tsp. raw almond butter
1 tbsp. vanilla soy protein powder
1/4 - 1/2 packet of Stevia
Rice Dream Vanilla or Almond Breeze Vanilla milk - quantity depends on the thickness you like.

Mix well in blender, pour into a tall glass and enjoy.

Re: I didn't realize... new
      #263385 - 05/15/06 05:38 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Beth
I make a yummy smoothie with half a banana, frozen blueberries and raspberries and apple juice or soy milk to make it more liquid. (I prefer the apple juice) I can tolerate lots of blueberries, plus the berries give it a great taste. Take Amanda's advice on this one, she's onto something

--------------------
S.

Sinead... new
      #263411 - 05/15/06 07:04 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

..about how much berries would you estimate you add?

Thanks for your feedback!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

sounds good... new
      #263412 - 05/15/06 07:10 AM
Augie

I've been leery of fruits because of the high fructose/sorbitol content of this individual fruit. It scores high on those, according to my research. In fact, I think they were rated as one of the unfriendliest tummy fruits.

I'm not trying to scare you, Gracie. You obviously know what works for you way more than I know what works for me!

Maybe I'll get the guts to try peach. I used to like them a lot!

What are some of your other favorite smoothies?

--------------------
~ Beth

beth new
      #263414 - 05/15/06 07:15 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I reckon about half a cup- my berries are frozen and a mix of blueberries raspberries and loganberries, sometimes I leave the smoothie thick and other times I add extra juice or soy milk to make it more like a juice drink. It's very yummy and a glorious purple colour, the berries are much more flavoursome (in my opinion) than sticking with peaches etc. I blend for a long time so that everything is all mushed up and if it's too thick then I add more juice/milk and blitz again for a few seconds to mix all that up too.

Have fun making them, they are soo delicious

--------------------
S.

Thank you, sweetie! new
      #263430 - 05/15/06 08:20 AM
Augie

Wish me luck!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: sounds good... new
      #263523 - 05/15/06 03:25 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I don't drink it (or eat peaches) all the time so maybe that's why it hasn't bothered me.

I also like a mixed berry smoothie - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and red and black currants. The total I put in there is about 1-1/2 to 2 tablespoons frozen berries combined.

Another one I like is mango and pineapple. Again I only use a few cubed pieces of each.

With these 2 smoothies I don't use the almond butter, but I guess if you like it, you can use it in there too.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also like using some Pom Wonderful Pomegranate juice in the smoothies.

Edited by Gracie (05/15/06 03:27 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15168

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review