All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is this a safe recipe?
      #369027 - 01/12/13 09:13 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

For lunch I will be havnig gluten-free pasta with a home-made ratatouille-style veg mix (aubergine, courgette, red pepper, green pepper, tomatoes, carrots and flavoured with asafoetida and chilli):

Recipes for this meal: 1/2 aubergine, 1/2 courgette, 1/4 red pepper, 1/4 green pepper, 1 large carrot, 400g can chopped tomatoes, 1/2 tsp asafoetida, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tbsp olive oil - heat olive oil in large pan, when hot add asafoetida and chilli powder and fry for a minute. Add all veg except tomatoes and stir well, fry for 5 mins then add tomatoes, stir, pop lid on pan and simmer for 1 hour or until veg are all tender. Delicious!

If not, how would you make it safer?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is this a safe recipe? new
      #369028 - 01/13/13 04:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

You should peel the aubergine, courgette, peppers and carrots and deseed the tomatoes?

Common Pitfalls ~ The Seven Sneaky Deadly Sins of the IBS Diet

"The second rule to remember here is that while you should be having lots of fresh fruits and veggies every day, make sure you cook, peel, chop, seed, dice, and/or puree most or even all of them. Peeling and seeding fruits and veggies will remove the toughest insoluble fiber altogether. Chopping, cooking, and pureeing will mechanically break down the insoluble fiber in fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts before you eat it, making it much less likely to provoke problems."

How to eat for IBS

"Peel, skin, chop and cook fruits and vegetables; mash or puree beans, corn, peas, and berries"

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#369031 - 01/13/13 10:09 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I was more concerned with the oil. I can't deseed the tomato as it is canned. I do need some peels, Syl, for my constipation, right? I am familiar with Heather's rules, but thanks for the heads up.

#369033 - 01/13/13 11:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It is a myth that individuals with IBS-C need to increase their insoluble fiber intake. There are many clinical studies that show insoluble fiber can make IBS-C as well as IBS-D symptoms worse.

You may find a significant improvement in symptoms if you reduce insoluble fiber and increase soluble fiber. Peeling fruits and veggies and removing whole grain foods is an easy way to decrease insoluble fiber.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4975

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review