All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gluten free zuccini bread
      #366006 - 09/03/11 12:50 PM
SHERRYB

Reged: 05/18/10

Does anyone have any easy zuccini bread recipe that is gluten free? Also any good cookbooks for gluten free cooking?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gluten free zuccini bread new
      #366009 - 09/04/11 06:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you do a Google search you will find many recipes. Here is one

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: gluten free zuccini bread...YES! new
      #366023 - 09/06/11 05:49 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi SherryB-

Yes! I made Heather's "Sweet Cinnamon Zucchini Bread" from her cookbook using a few GF substitutions and it was DELICIOUS. It made 2 loaves and was easy to make. It's found in her Eating for IBS cookbook, but it may be already posted somewhere on the message boards. If you can't find it (or someone else doesn't link it for you) I can post the whole thing.

The changes I made were to use white rice flour instead of the all-purpose flour, and add 2 tsp. Xanthan Gum to the dry ingredients. I don't know how familiar you are w/ gluten free cooking or baking...xanthan gum is used in almost everything you make! It's at health food stores and is expensive, but it's pretty essential for turning out products that don't fall apart!! Anyway- the rest of the recipe is fine as it is. I did write in my book to try adding a small amount (maybe 1/4 cup?) of applesauce next time to the wet ingredients to add just a little more moisture. GF recipes can tend to be dryer than regular foods. BUT- it was delicious already, so I may not even make that last addition.

Let me know if you don't get hold of the full recipe and I'll add it asap.

I have MANY recipes for gluten free foods (I've had Celiac for about 10 years). GREAT NEWS is that almost any recipe on this site can fairly easily be adapted to GF. I used just plain white rice flour in this particular recipe, but there are many flour mixes that you can buy or mix together yourself and store on the pantry shelf to use just like regular flour. I can pass some along, but you may want to do a search first on this site because I know I've seen many here (I'm new to the message boards...only about 3 months now).

Hope this helps!! It's not too bad- but it does take some extra work. I'd recommend any of Bette Hagman's cookbooks (The Gluten Free Gourmet).

I'd strongly recommend Heather's book, too, even tho it's not GF. Since her recipes are already totally IBS safe, it's very easy to just make the needed adjustments to have IBS-GF recipes! Just sub a GF flour mix of your choice, and xanthan gum as needed. I made her Brown Sugar Banana Bread last night...super easy and GREAT! My favorite (and honestly...my family LOVES this bread even tho they can all eat "normally")- is her Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread. YUM!! I did use a mix for that one-
6 c. white rice flour
2 c. potato flour
1 c. tapioca flour
(That's from Bette Hagman) I often double this to store on the pantry shelf so it's there when I need it. It's no fun to get ready to bake and realize you have to make up a flour mix before you can even start!
Remember to add a tsp or more of the xanthan gum to the recipes.
I also add an applesauce cup to the wet ingredients for more moisture. I've made it at least 4 times now, and it comes out great every time.

Hope some of this is helpful! It's definitely possible to eat GF and IBS and eat yummy food...it just takes a little extra time and effort and a few extra odd ingredients!

KellyJean

#366024 - 09/07/11 07:31 AM
SHERRYB

Thank you KellyJean, and yes I am new to glutenfree cooking and was confused about the flour mixing. I have not been diagnosed with Celiac only with IBS-C but wanted to exclude gluten and see how I felt. Within a couple days I felt alot better, so I am going to try to stick with it. Now with the xanthan gum you said add it to all recipes, do you mean everything with flour, and do you just put it in your flour mixture or do you just add it to anything with dry ingredients? And I will check out those books, I very much appreciate all your info.

#366025 - 09/07/11 07:34 AM
SHERRYB

Thank you Syl. I will try it!

#366026 - 09/07/11 07:38 AM
SHERRYB

Hi Kellyjean, I was also curious to know how where you diagnosed with celiac?

xanthan gum new
      #366027 - 09/07/11 10:33 AM
KellyJean

I'm sorry- that WAS a bit confusing!
I add xanthan gum to any bread-type foods that I'm making from SCRATCH. This would include cookies, cakes, breads, muffins. If I'm using a flour mix that was bought at the store already made up, I'd check first to see if they already added xanthan gum to their mix. Many companies do that, and there are several good "ready made flour mixes" out there. I usually mix up my own to save money (gluten free products are typically quite expensive), but also because I've had good luck with homemade mixes and prefer mixing up big batches to put in storage containers in my pantry (if your mix contains BROWN rice flour it should be kept in the refrig or freezer since it can get rancid faster).
Karen Robertson has put out a cookbook called Cooking Gluten Free, and I've pulled several favorite things from it (I haven't used this book for meal recipes since my IBS diagnosis, but I will gradually get back to it- she has many great recipes). Anyway, she wrote the following guidelines in the book for using xanthan gum.

breads: 1 tsp per cup of flour mix
cakes: 1/2 tsp per cup of flour mix
cookies: 1/4 tsp per cup of flour mix

I'm not always as accurate as all that...the main thing is just to be sure to use some because it acts as the "binding agent" that replaces the gluten and helps hold everything together.

Hope this helps. GF cookbooks are a valuable resource. They almost always have a LOT of info about Celiac and how to eat, what to eat or not eat, how to prepare foods, etc. That's one reason I like Heather's cookbook so much...it's as full of good, helpful info as it is good recipes!!

There are so many possibilities for flour mixes- you really just have to search the web or check out a few GF cookbooks from the library and try a few to find what you like best. Most of them substitute cup for cup for the flour in regular recipes, making it pretty easy to convert recipes. The cookbook I mentioned above has a very good, healthy mix that I use a lot. I was going to post it, but I'm not sure how copyrights work on things like that! She used it with permission from another lady and had to quote that in the book (?!).

KellyJean

diagnosing Celiac Disease new
      #366028 - 09/07/11 10:51 AM
KellyJean

You asked about how I was diagnosed with Celiac. It was a long and frustrating process for me- much like the long road to a diagnosis of IBS!! I had blood tests for it about 11 years ago that were positive for it. They know so much more about accurate blood tests for it now than they did back then, but you still want to be SURE they're running the most up-to-date tests so you don't get bad information. Most people still say that even with good blood tests you still need to have an endoscopy so a biopsy can be taken from the small intestine to confirm. It IS possible to have negative results from bloodwork and yet still have Celiac.

I went to Dr. Joseph Murray at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota for my biopsy. I live in a rural area with small hospitals, and at the time there were no GI's that I trusted to do this in our area. Mayo has a Celiac Clinic, and Dr. Murray specializes in it (I had found his name in one of my cookbooks - he was HIGHLY recommended by the GF author!). I'm glad I had it done. It runs in families, and I wanted to be sure of my diagnosis so I'd know if I needed to screen our kids.
One more thing- it's REALLY important that you eat gluten for about 4 weeks before having these kinds of tests done. If you're not eating any, the damage to the intestines will not show up and you'll get false results! This is a big BUMMER for most of us since you can feel so bad (or get sick- depending on how your system responds to gluten). It's worth it for a good diagnosis tho. Believe me- you DON'T want to have to eliminate gluten on top of all the limits for IBS if you don't HAVE to!! It's not that it can't be managed, but it certainly limits your choices. This is most difficult when you try to eat out!

Anyway- long answer to a short question! Sorry!
Good Luck- KellyJean

Re: xanthan gum new
      #366031 - 09/07/11 12:29 PM
SHERRYB

Thank you so much KellyJean you have been a big help

#366307 - 10/24/11 01:13 PM
som

Reged: 03/19/08

This is great information thank you!!I recently realised i was sensitive to wheat.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20772

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review