Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
onion soup mix- is this IBS safe?
      #365634 - 07/25/11 01:29 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi Everyone!
"Sand" responded to one of my other posts and included a question about an IBS-safe onion soup mix. I have a mix recipe that I've used for years with my Celiac diet (gluten free), but haven't made it since being diagnosed with IBS. I'll include it here, but if anyone has comments about its safety for IBS please feel free to let me know!! It comes from Bette Hagman's cookbook, The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.
Onion Soup Mix
*use 2 T. of this mix when a recipe calls for a packet of onion soup mix
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. Kitchen Bouquet Browning Sauce
1 T. vegetable oil (use Canola)
1/2 c. minced dehydrated onions
1 T. potato starch flour

Combine the onion powder, onion salt, and sugar in a small bowl. Add Kitchen Bouquet and oil. Stir until the seasonings are uniformly colored.
Add the dehydrated onion and mix thoroughly until an even color is achieved. This may take several minutes. (I used to put it in a container with a lid and shake it hard for a couple minutes) Stir in the potato starch flour to keep the flakes separated. Store in a closed container on your pantry shelf.

This makes 1/2 cup of mix, which equals four packets.

My only real question would be if anyone knows anything unsafe about the Kitchen Bouquet. It's obviously GF since it came from this cookbook, but I don't know how it is for IBS.

KellyJean

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: onion soup mix- is this IBS safe? new
      #365637 - 07/25/11 01:40 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thanks for this, KellyJean - I've wanted something like this for a long time.

Here are the ingredients for Kitchen Bouquet:

Ingredients: Caramel, Vegetable Base (Water, Carrots, Onions, Celery, Parsnips, Turnips, Salt, Parsley, Spices), Sodium Benzoate and Sulfiting Agents.

I don't see anything IBS-unfriendly in there although I gather some people have trouble with chemicals used as food preservatives.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#365640 - 07/25/11 02:17 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Do you think the Kitchen Bouquet could just as well be left out?! I don't like using things with Sodium Benzoate in them anyway, and I'm wondering if it's in the recipe primarily to add darker color to the onion mix. The mix is really great otherwise- I used to use it all the time when I'd cook roasts in the crockpot, and they were always fantastic.
KellyJean

#365642 - 07/25/11 07:49 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You could try it. I'm not sure how much flavor it's adding. Here's a thread I found while searching for Kitchen Bouquet earlier. It suggests using caramelized brown sugar but that doesn't sound quite right. She also says she uses soy sauce in some recipes that call for Kitchen Bouquet. That might work in this mix:

Kitchen Bouquet Wanna-Be

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#365645 - 07/26/11 04:38 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I believe I've used Marmite in place of Kitchen Bouquet in a different recipe before. Just a thought.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 212 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9341

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review