All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
quick tortilla chip snack- GF/ IBS safe
      #365496 - 07/12/11 09:30 AM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

It's me again! I hope this doesn't get old...I just know so many of us have a variety of food issues beyond the standard IBS, and I figure it might help someone out there to be able to add another item to their "OK" food list!!
Because of my Celiac, flour tortillas are out and I don't like corn tortillas. I can make GF tortillas, but it's time consuming. Tostitos are a great alternative that I CAN enjoy (again...thank you Heather!).
SO- I was checking out canned foods at Wal-Mart last week (yes- I live in the country and Wal-Mart is our main grocery and main anything store. Count yourselves blessed if you live where you have access to amazing grocery stores or health food markets!!). Anyway, I found that the store brand of refried beans is completely fat free. The ingredient list reads: prepared dry beans, water, contains less than 2% of the following: salt, onion powder, chili pepper, garlic powder, spice. This is OK, right?! (Please feel FREE to correct me if I'm missing something...remember, I'm new at this!)
I spread out Tostitos bite size chips on a plate and top each one with a small amount of refried beans. Sometimes I top just one chip and then put another chip on top (like a Tostito sandwich). I had them like this originally, but then found Tofutti's Better Than Sour Cream. I spoon just a small spoonful onto my plate and dip the prepared chips in it. Yum! I'm sure they'd be good with salsa, too, but I don't have any on hand right now. Since the beans are fat free I feel ok about the small amount of fat in the sour cream substitute.
I have a REALLY sensitive stomach but haven't had any trouble with these yet.
I hope this works for somebody!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: quick tortilla chip snack- GF/ IBS safe new
      #366276 - 10/17/11 12:41 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

God Bless Walmart, it is what I have available too:) Question for you...does the refried beans give you any gas issues? I always thought that they would and I steer clear of refried beans for that reason. Plus I am not a real bean lover any way, but do miss the little bit of refried beans I use to get with my Mexican food, which is long gone now. I am lovin' the Tostitos but need some serious new changes on it.

#366304 - 10/20/11 05:55 PM
KellyJean

Reged: 06/22/11
Loc: Missouri

Hi!
It's been so long since I posted that- I was surprised to pop on today and see your response. Great to "meet" you!
The refried beans haven't ever seemed to bother me in any way. I do, however, get tired of eating foods the same way after a while (and we do that a lot on these restricted diets, you know!). My girls have been on a HUGE guacamole kick since I first tried Heather's super simple recipe. She just mashes up a ripe avocado and adds several drops of the green Tabasco sauce (to your liking). You can add her acacia fiber to this if you have it on hand...it makes the guacamole really smooth. That's all there is to it! My girls eat this for a snack several times a week. I like it too, but it doesn't always sit well with me even tho it's IBS safe. I've just been eating my Tostitos with a favorite jar of salsa lately. Oh...also- I'm picky about my salsa taste, but when I find one that's ok for me and tastes good, I'll often put it in my food processor to puree it. I do this right when I open the jar so that the whole jar is ready to go any time I want a snack. I do that to follow Heather's suggestion of chopping and pureeing our insoluble fibers to make them more tolerable. It definitely helps me.
Any other good snack ideas? I'm always looking for new things that fit my IBS and Celiac.
Good luck with this crazy way of eating!!
KellyJean

#366334 - 10/31/11 12:39 PM
KareBear

Reged: 05/30/11
Loc: Arizona

Thanks for the tips, especially with pureeing the salsa. I will definitely try this. I don't really have suggestions as I am just getting into all of this. I have been eating the very restrictive diet for about 150 days now. It has helped with my IBS and I am definitely tired of eating the exact same thing every meal of every day. This month I have just started branching out to find things to put in the mix, but I don't have a lot of variety. Graham crackers right now are the go to snack. Since I still have stomach issues I never know what is going to be doable for long though. My biggest issue is that I am back to being nauseous especially after eating. A friend recommended to my Mission flour tortillas the Carb friendly ones, since it seems that carbs are high in the things we can tolerate eating. They also have a good amount of fiber in them. This was to replace the french bread I would have every day for lunch with my turkey breast. I can't be sure if that plays a part in my stomach upset right now or not. I have tried them for going on two weeks now. They surprisingly taste like a regular flour tortilla, but I am not sure with how my stomach is liking it. Right now I am only taking in about 1000 calories a day and maybe that has something to do with it too. The Tositos though have been fabulous, but a little salty for my liking but such a quick and easy snack.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 320 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8559

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review