All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Amount of refined sugar in IBS recipes and Candida problem.
      #353091 - 12/09/09 11:47 AM
Glenna2

Reged: 11/24/09

I am struggling with the amount of refined sugar recommended in Heather's IBS recipes. I understand that sugar feeds the bad bacteria (Candida Albicans) in the gut and increases the imbalance of good/bad bacteria there. Also medical studies show that sugar depresses the immune system. Wondering how much I can reduce the sugar in recipes (breads) so as not to ruin the outcome.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Amount of refined sugar in IBS recipes and Candida problem. new
      #353098 - 12/09/09 04:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The sugar is a big factor in baking- not just to make things sweet but to add to the basic texture too. I would only remove a little sugar from a recipe. Otherwise I woould use already adapted recipes. You could get a stevia cookbook from the library.

Keep in mind the levels of bacteria in the gut are not what causes a person to have IBS. IBS is separate and can still be a big problem with lots of good bacteria. However, if you can give up sugar it can only be a good thing! Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#353099 - 12/09/09 04:45 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Everything you say about sugar is true. If you are smart, you will limit it. There are replacements you can use when baking. Your taste buds will adapt to less sugar.

#353115 - 12/10/09 10:10 AM
Glenna2

If a give up sugar, I give up a big portion of Heather's IBS recipes.

#353122 - 12/10/09 02:24 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Give up the sugar...your body will thank you for it!

#353160 - 12/11/09 02:12 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That doesn't matter. You don't have to use her baking recipes. Her recipes are great alternates for traditional baking recipes but not a must on her diet. Using stevia, more unrefined natural sugars, agave or things like ground dates etc, are great for baking and safe for IBS. Splenda is not safe.
Keep in mind that some people have IBS and diabetes and cannot do any of the carby recipes. Some people are gluten intolerant and have IBS and also can't do carbs. The IBS diet can be adapted to various situations.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#353182 - 12/13/09 03:10 PM
Glenna2

Do you have suggestions for recipes that don't use refined sugar? I wish there were some on this site. I love Heather's breads, but it has been a long time since I have eaten this much sugar.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review